Traditional Christmas dinner.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2015, 12:53 PM
RE: Traditional Christmas dinner.
We usually do a Christmas Eve dinner...Christmas Day is usually appetizer stuff.

New Year's Day is for Prime Rib.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-12-2015, 03:18 PM
[Image: 34704_l.jpg]

Downunder it can be 38ºC at lunchtime (100ºF) so a seafood spread is becoming more popular instead of a "traditional" baked spread of ham, pork, turkey and veggies. Oysters, crayfish, mussels, calamari, prawns, crab, scallops, fresh fish along with cold salads washed down with white wines and beer. Deserts are often fresh fruit salads combining watermelon, canteloupe, pineapple, kiwifruit, mango, strawberries etc.

[Image: 130519-ginger-mint-fruit-salad.jpg]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
06-12-2015, 03:54 PM
(06-12-2015 12:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  We usually do a Christmas Eve dinner...Christmas Day is usually appetizer stuff.

New Year's Day is for Prime Rib.

For us it's:
  1. Christmas Eve - Chinese food; Christmas cookies
  2. Christmas Day - Roast beef, etc.; Christmas cookies & pies
  3. Boxing Day - Smoked meat sandwiches, cole slaw, potato salad; Christmas cookies
  4. New year's day - Brunch out; Christmas cookies

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-12-2015, 01:19 AM
In Japan, Kentucky Fried Chicken has the market cornered on Christmas dinner.

I shit you not, eating KFC on Christmas is a widely practiced custom now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KFC_in_Japan

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
07-12-2015, 02:07 AM
I never celebrate xmas as a rule. Last year though they let me out of hospital for 3 days and I had dinner with my brother sister in law and my niece. Who I just watched run around. I think they ate chicken.

Usually in Sydney people eat seafood. Loads of prawns and crayfish. Maybe some balmain bugs.

[Image: 190929-seafood.jpg]

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
07-12-2015, 10:15 AM
Since moving to CA, I usually go out to dinner and to a play in San Francisco with friends, but if I go home for Xmas, it's more of a family thing, with a big spread, with all that food I posted earlier.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
07-12-2015, 10:45 AM
We do a big lunch and then just go back for leftovers for dinner.

Growing up it was usually ham. Past few years it was duck. There will probably be duck AND ham this year - my uncles butchered two hogs last weekend and Dad was talking about going duck hunting after I requested duck.

We have several casseroles for sides - such as pineapple casserole (has cheddar cheese and topped with ritz cracker crumbs), green bean or asparagus casserole, and sweet potato casserole. I tend to make my Rosemary molasses carrots. Mashed potatoes and gravy or roasted fingerling potatoes with bay leaves if no hash brown casserole. Southern style green beans whether there's green bean casserole or not (everybody brings a dish or two). Mac n cheese (sometimes it's also a casserole). There's usually a fresh fruit salad and a green salad. Homemade breads.

We serve coffee, sweet iced tea, wassail, hot chocolate with marshmallows, and sodas as drink options. We secretly spike select individuals' glasses of wassail with goldschlagger or spiced rum when the grandparents aren't paying attention. (Our wassail is a hot beverage cooked on the stove with cranberry, orange, pineapple, and apple juices with brown sugar, cinnamon sticks, and whole cloves - makes the whole house smell like Christmas).

My grandmother makes me a chocolate pie and then pecan pie (picked from her trees) for everyone else. My mom or I will make a cheesecake or crème brûlée.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post