Traffic light & the Sabbath

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2011, 09:53 AM
Traffic light & the Sabbath

Quote:A busy London street will get a hands-free pedestrian crossing so that worshippers at a nearby synagogue don’t have to break strict religious rules prohibiting the use of electricity on the Sabbath.

Roads around Finchley United Synagogue in north London are being redeveloped to improve safety, and as part of the plans, members of the Jewish community requested a button-free crosswalk.

“As usual where a major scheme to improve the road layout is being planned, we held discussions with local residents,” a spokesman for Transport for London told CNN. “They asked if we could set it up so that they don’t have to press a button at the pedestrian crossing. As a result, the new crossing will be automated on the Sabbath.”

Under Jewish law, work is banned on the Sabbath. For many Orthodox Jews, the definition of "work" includes the use of all electronics and machinery, even light switches.

The automated crosswalk, which will run from Friday evenings until sunset on Saturdays, is due to go into operation in December.

A spokeswoman for the synagogue refused to comment on the plans.

So, what's your opinion about this one? Okay, it's not something that will disturb public life, but the reason is utterly stupid.

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-10-2011, 10:13 AM
RE: Traffic light & the Sabbath
(04-10-2011 09:53 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  So, what's your opinion about this one? Okay, it's not something that will disturb public life, but the reason is utterly stupid.

Doesn't bother me, really, seems that's what their community wants and it doesn't hurt anyone. I do, however, question their interpretation of "work" as including "use of electricity". I know a great deal more about ancient Judaism than I do modern Judaism, so I'm curious how using electricity got lumped in with work on the Sabbath.

[Image: 81564_gal-1.jpg]
04-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Orthodox Jews interpret the Talmud to mean that they can't even turn on a light switch during the Sabbath. I've been to Israel and the hotels the light switches can all be operated by clapping so you don't have to use the switch. Personally, I think it's a shallow belief in God that concludes he's ok with you taking advantage of modern conveniences as long as you don't throw the switch yourself, but who am I to judge? My issue with Judaism, and all religions. has little to do with their contradictory but harmless customs.

As for the question at hand, I don't even get why this is a question is really. The city was doing some renovations and took the time to seek input from the local community and made sure that the changes reflected their needs as well. "Well done" I say. That's how city planning should work. I wish we saw more of that in the states.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
05-10-2011, 01:41 AM
All cross walks in Japan are automated, plus they come with a 'fun' whistling sort of noise to let the blind know when it's okay to walk.... though I wonder why no one is helping someone blind cross the road.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes monkeyshine89's post
05-10-2011, 12:15 PM
Canada has the beeping noise supposedly to help the blind know when it's ok to cross. I think it's more to alert drivers that someone might be crossing because as drivers have become comfortable with the lights and the signs they have a tendency to just ignore them more often. If this was the reason then it is no good anymore because as a pedestrian I can tell you from first hand knowledge that drivers mostly appear to be unaware crosswalks even exist, or that there is a beep happening. It's probably for the blind though, sometimes I reach.

I'm with BnW, as stupid as it is to me it's nice that a city actually listened to the people who live there when redesigning it. I wish they would do that here.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2011, 05:33 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2011 05:49 AM by Filox.)
The beep-beep IS for the blind people, it has nothing to do with the drivers, as it is too quiet for the driver with a radio on to hear it. This new traffic lights are cool and don't bother anyone EXCEPT the tax payers. You seriously think this is cheap to do? Change the traffic lights in town, put new sensors, automate everything, timers, all sorts of new miracles? So, yeah, it does bother all of you living in London, it does mess with your lifestyle, it is not that great as it sounds. Ask somebody to show you the price for this "Jew commodity".

And what is this stupidity about lights? They can not touch them, but they can clap and turn them on/off? Isn't that completely the same thing, if you clap, you have turned the electrical switch on/off, same way as if you have touched a button. Obviously, somebody there does not understand a simple fact about electronics. If you can not use it, then you can not use it and that's it.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
06-10-2011, 07:56 AM
But cheating God is one of the greatest passtimes of religious people. The rules are MEANT to be broken. The Old testament clearly states that people shouldn't kill in the 10 commandments, but people find enough exceptions to do it anyway. Same goes for using technology on the Sabbath.

This TTA video (for those who haven't seen it yet) shows how jews 'cheat' God using technology anyway.

06-10-2011, 03:08 PM
(06-10-2011 07:56 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  The Old testament clearly states that people shouldn't kill in the 10 commandments, but people find enough exceptions to do it anyway.

I think it's pretty obvious that the OT is referring to god's chosen people with that commandment given that god himself engages in wholesale slaughter of pretty much everyone else he looks cross-eyed at him.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
06-10-2011, 11:35 PM
(06-10-2011 05:33 AM)Filox Wrote:  Ask somebody to show you the price for this "Jew commodity".

I realize English is not your native language. That's why you need to be told that a phrase like "Jew commodity" is extremely offensive and smacks of anti-Semitism. It's fine to be an atheist--I'm one too--but when you use expressions like this, you align yourself with elements I doubt you'd want to be associated with.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
06-10-2011, 11:47 PM
(06-10-2011 03:08 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(06-10-2011 07:56 AM)Thammuz Wrote:  The Old testament clearly states that people shouldn't kill in the 10 commandments, but people find enough exceptions to do it anyway.

I think it's pretty obvious that the OT is referring to god's chosen people with that commandment given that god himself engages in wholesale slaughter of pretty much everyone else he looks cross-eyed at him.

Yes, there is a crapload of translations errors, but I don't know many creationist that read their bible in Ancient Hebrew. Doesn't matter when you're convinced the book is correct, badly translated or not. They consider the current version to be just as holy.