Traffic light & the Sabbath

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-10-2011, 04:19 PM
RE: Traffic light & the Sabbath
I don't know if it's funny or sad- but I have never crossed those kind of light traffics in my whole 19 years of living in Israel.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2011, 05:38 AM
(06-10-2011 11:35 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(06-10-2011 05:33 AM)Filox Wrote:  Ask somebody to show you the price for this "Jew commodity".

I realize English is not your native language. That's why you need to be told that a phrase like "Jew commodity" is extremely offensive and smacks of anti-Semitism. It's fine to be an atheist--I'm one too--but when you use expressions like this, you align yourself with elements I doubt you'd want to be associated with.

OK, I would like then for you to clarify this for me. Are the people we are talking about Jews? Yes, so that part is not offensive, it is the name of their ethnicity and religious orientation. Looking at Wikipedia, I used the wrong word, I thought "commodity" is representing something you want, need, use and that something is making you feel comfortable. For me, that is my car, or my computer. Just present me with a good alternative, something that makes you comfortable in life.

I am not an anti-semit, although I have my own opinion on Israel as a state. I do not live in the past, or care about the events that were 70 years ago, I live in the present and comment on things how they are now, today. I bash whoever deserves the bashing and I am not afraid of some "protected" groups of people. That is why I celebrate "Draw Mohamed Day", who are they to be above my sarcasm and funny jokes?

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
16-10-2011, 04:40 PM
(15-10-2011 05:38 AM)Filox Wrote:  
(06-10-2011 11:35 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(06-10-2011 05:33 AM)Filox Wrote:  Ask somebody to show you the price for this "Jew commodity".

I realize English is not your native language. That's why you need to be told that a phrase like "Jew commodity" is extremely offensive and smacks of anti-Semitism. It's fine to be an atheist--I'm one too--but when you use expressions like this, you align yourself with elements I doubt you'd want to be associated with.

OK, I would like then for you to clarify this for me. Are the people we are talking about Jews? Yes, so that part is not offensive, it is the name of their ethnicity and religious orientation. Looking at Wikipedia, I used the wrong word, I thought "commodity" is representing something you want, need, use and that something is making you feel comfortable. For me, that is my car, or my computer. Just present me with a good alternative, something that makes you comfortable in life.

I am not an anti-semit, although I have my own opinion on Israel as a state. I do not live in the past, or care about the events that were 70 years ago, I live in the present and comment on things how they are now, today. I bash whoever deserves the bashing and I am not afraid of some "protected" groups of people. That is why I celebrate "Draw Mohamed Day", who are they to be above my sarcasm and funny jokes?

The bigger problem was in using "Jew" as an adjective. It's a noun. The correct adjective is "Jewish." For example, if you want to talk about a holiday related to Judaism, it's a "Jewish holiday." If you say "Jew holiday," you sound like an anti-Semite, because they're the only ones who use the word "Jew" in that way.

As for a better term than "commodity," you might try "convenience." My dictionary defines the noun as: "that which affords comfort or ease; something convenient: A washing machine is one of the many modern conveniences." (It's an old dictionary.)

BTW, although I do care about the past, I agree with you that there are no "protected groups" that are above criticism when it's due.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
17-10-2011, 06:18 AM
Ah, yes, "Jewish convenience" is the thing I wanted to say, and yes, JewISH instead of Jew. My bad. Thanx.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
17-10-2011, 11:56 AM
(17-10-2011 06:18 AM)Filox Wrote:  Ah, yes, "Jewish convenience" is the thing I wanted to say, and yes, JewISH instead of Jew. My bad. Thanx.

My pleasure, Filox. Smile

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Snake oil salesman given green light. Hobbitgirl 2 78 25-06-2014 03:53 PM
Last Post: kim
  Military takes over air traffic control in Spain GassyKitten 0 289 03-12-2010 08:07 PM
Last Post: GassyKitten