Trans rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-12-2016, 04:48 PM
RE: Trans rant
(13-12-2016 09:19 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'm so sick of the drama and being in the spotlight. I know transgender stuff is the big thing nowadays and people are 100% allowed to talk about it. I just want it to be clear that it's not a game. We want to live a happy lives and be comfortable in our own bodies. It's not easy, but knowing that people care about you helps a lot. There are a lot of supportive people.

I look forward to when we're not seen as a big deal. We're people like anyone else. :/ I don't want to be stepped on, but I don't want to be babied or lifted up either. I think others feel the same way. We're equal. Drinking Beverage

Anyway, looking forward to when people move on to the next big topic.

I could not agree more. I am all for supporting the wonderful variety of people that we have on this world. Especially when some of those people have not historically been granted the same rights as the rest of us for whatever ill-conceived reason. And then we can all get on with being decent to one another.

The sort people who make this into a socio-political circus should have something truly dreadful happen to them.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
17-12-2016, 09:03 AM
It will be a wonderful day when you can casually mention the fact that you're trans to a stranger and reasonably expect them to not miss a bit in casually responding rather than reasonably expecting the worst.

I'm not sure what kind of "babying" you've experienced, but it's understandable too. Some folks don't know how to react and don't want to offend. And they know you're tired of discussing it so they don't want to press. And they know you're tired of debating so they come to your defense when something inflammatory is said. And then there are those SJW types that really take it overboard and make everybody afraid to say anything.
My point being, they probably have good intentions. Better than some other groups I can think of anyways.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
17-12-2016, 05:42 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2016 05:45 PM by Leerob.)
(17-12-2016 09:03 AM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  It will be a wonderful day when you can casually mention the fact that you're trans to a stranger and reasonably expect them to not miss a bit in casually responding rather than reasonably expecting the worst.
Why would anybody have to mention thing like this to a stranger?
Quite honestly, if some random person tells me about their sexuality, I'd be slightly weirded out. No matter trans, straight, bi, gay,... My sexuality is private and although I am not running around announcing it to everybody, I don't feel limited for the most part. Sure at work I will keep it to myself even if people say stupid or hurtful things. But in private with friends, I am not hiding anything.
I may just be very lucky, because I could choose a social circle where I am accepted the way I am.

Edit: People actually started addressing me correctly without me having to come out and without me being on T or anything. I sound very female but I joined this gaming community. And today it happened a few times on Teamspeak that I was addressed with "he". Starting to think that at least online, it is enough to just be yourself, mainly because real life visuals aren't interfering with your mental image of a person.

The thing that society needs to learn as a whole is simply to accept a person the way they are. Nothing more is needed. If that happens, all the lgbt problems will slowly fade away.
But the world is not ready for that level of acceptance yet - sadly.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 4 users Like Leerob's post
17-12-2016, 06:29 PM
(17-12-2016 05:42 PM)Leela Wrote:  
(17-12-2016 09:03 AM)Ohio Sky Wrote:  It will be a wonderful day when you can casually mention the fact that you're trans to a stranger and reasonably expect them to not miss a bit in casually responding rather than reasonably expecting the worst.
Quite honestly, if some random person tells me about their sexuality, I'd be slightly weirded out. No matter trans, straight, bi, gay,... My sexuality is private and although I am not running around announcing it to everybody, I don't feel limited for the most part. Sure at work I will keep it to myself even if people say stupid or hurtful things. But in private with friends, I am not hiding anything.
I may just be very lucky, because I could choose a social circle where I am accepted the way I am.

Edit: People actually started addressing me correctly without me having to come out and without me being on T or anything. I sound very female but I joined this gaming community. And today it happened a few times on Teamspeak that I was addressed with "he". Starting to think that at least online, it is enough to just be yourself, mainly because real life visuals aren't interfering with your mental image of a person.

The thing that society needs to learn as a whole is simply to accept a person the way they are. Nothing more is needed. If that happens, all the lgbt problems will slowly fade away.
But the world is not ready for that level of acceptance yet - sadly.

Yes. A lot of transgender people find the online gaming community is the place for them. They can be whoever they want to be. It's very popular in the trans community. My daughter would disappear online and relax in the gaming community for hours. She still does this.

And she's like you. She doesn't want to stand out or make a scene or be special. She just wants to be treated like everyone else. Don't we all.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 7 users Like dancefortwo's post
17-12-2016, 08:09 PM
I understand where you are coming from CR. I still think you are cutie though, and that's not trying to lift you up, that's the truth Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 4 users Like jennybee's post
17-12-2016, 08:30 PM
Quote:Why would anybody have to mention thing like this to a stranger?
That's it. Why is it the least bit relevant? Why is my faith or sexuality or color or background or last name ever relevant?
I love it when somebody comes out or says something like that to me, unbidden. I often reply "so what?" or something along those lines, but always with a smile. It is a non-issue in every sense, among reasonable, reasoning people.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
18-12-2016, 12:34 AM
(13-12-2016 09:19 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'm so sick of the drama and being in the spotlight. I know transgender stuff is the big thing nowadays and people are 100% allowed to talk about it. I just want it to be clear that it's not a game. We want to live a happy lives and be comfortable in our own bodies. It's not easy, but knowing that people care about you helps a lot. There are a lot of supportive people.

I think it's important to realise that stigmas people hold against your cohort are really social structures - it's not because they want to be assholes. I remember seeing some special in the 90's I *think* was Oprah and she was shocked and quite disgusted that her guests were in transgender relationships, and even more horrified and shocked that they went about their lives not telling everyone they're trans. I remember the show because one horrified audience member asked "well if you're not a biological woman how do you and your husband/partner have sex?" to which the answer was "however we want".

I don't know about your country, and if you're in the Middle East I doubt it, but here at least it seems people are receptive to treating others that have personal attributes they don't understand with more dignity and respect than just 20-30 years ago! But if you are in the ME, as mentioned the stigma and discrimination is a social structure more than anything else, and you're never going to win an argument by trying to challenge the world-views of people..

My Blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2016, 12:21 PM
(17-12-2016 05:42 PM)Leela Wrote:  

It's not something that you would probably mention often but I know there are sometimes weird situations for a lot of folks where you may need to correct someone's pronoun usages or what have you. And I know at least one trans person who wears it on her sleeve and tells pretty much everyone she encounters. Partially because she's just a very open person that way, and partially because she likes giving people the opportunity of knowing someone who is openly trans as that seems to be the best way to combat transphobia. She's received surprising few negative responses but It would be great to live in a world where I didn't still worry about her a little bit. I think it's great that she does that, but of course I totally understand and support those who don't or can't be that open. That's not everyone's MO, but my point was more that it would be nice to have the option to disclose that if you chose to without fear of the reaction.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
[+] 5 users Like Ohio Sky's post
18-12-2016, 08:57 PM
I reserve the right to talk shit about and make fun of anyone for any reason. In that regards, I treat everyone equally.

'Murican Canadian
18-12-2016, 10:56 PM
(18-12-2016 08:57 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I reserve the right to talk shit about and make fun of anyone for any reason. In that regards, I treat everyone equally.

Laugh out load What I call an "equal opportunity offender".