Transgender

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2011, 11:23 PM (This post was last modified: 10-01-2011 02:37 AM by ebilekittae.)
Transgender
I've been looking up TG resources lately after getting up a bit of courage, and I came along this video posted on a fourm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S5usRgY720

It's a really cute video in my opinion, and I'm really glad for that little girl. Jealous, but glad. xD

The reason I post it, though is for the comment I read posted under it:

zjgy1john Wrote:I have a gravity body but i have an anti gravity brain.So lets use science to find a way so that I can have machines around me all the time that try to alter the gravity around me.I have to do this and maybe get my insurance to cover it because I am different. I do not care that I was manifested in a universe that is governed by laws. I do not want to accept reality. I will take drugs to alter the natural state of my body. I will allow´╗┐ my children to dream about cutting off their penises.

I believe this is an outrageous comparison. It is, however, the only negative comment that wasn't riddled with religious hellfire undertones. Is TG an escape from reality? Does this guy make a good point, regardless of the terrible analogy? How does this community view it?

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2011, 11:43 PM
RE: Transgender
I'm with the pro-choice crowd.
Until someone provides sufficient evidence to support a claim that it is wrong, than I support transgenders.
I think the person who wrote that post has a very black and white view of the universe "NATURAL LAWS, IT MEANS THIS IS BAD" bullshit, and I fail to see how the interaction of natural forces prevents someone from wanting to choose their gender.
Not accepting reality?.. Does this "zjgy1john" have any knowledge of the human body and the kinds of significant changes that can occur NATURALLY?

Zjgy1john is a homophobic troll, ignore him.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
Find all posts by this user
10-01-2011, 08:03 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2011 07:53 AM by ashley.hunt60.)
I don't care about what they do to themselves. It doesn't affect me or anyone else but themselves and family. And, if you want to spend several millions dollars trying to fight gravity, then I don't care either. The more debatable question is should insurance pay for it? If you are going with private insurance companies, then that is up to them. They are not obliged to. There is a wide spectrum of plans, ranging from 20% off of all dental work to complete coverage on almost everything imaginable. If they are going to charge outrageous sums for an amazing plan, then they might include transgender costs. As for public insurance, I think that should depend on how much a country is wanting to cover it's people and much they can afford to provide. The surgery should probably be pretty low on the list of things to cover. Chemo therapy seems a little bit more important than a sex change operation.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
10-01-2011, 11:02 PM

Every person should be able to choose what they want to do to their bodies, given they are doing it for the right reasons of course. If I don't like it, I won't do it. But to try and stop them and force my beliefs down their throats is wrong.

However, in my opinion a sex change operation is an elective surgery. What makes it any different than elective plastic surgery? I don't think it should be covered under public insurance.
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I agree that operations shouldn't be in public insurance. It is plastic surgery, no matter how much we may feel we "need" it--I'm sure some people might say the same about a nose job. Tongue

I suppose the question that bothered me most is: is all of this just fighting against reality? If it is, is that a bad thing? What makes transgender's escape from reality different and more permissible than religion's?

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
11-01-2011, 03:06 PM

That's a good question! Personally, I don't think it is an escape from reality. Transsexualism needs to be researched more, however, there is some research that shows it's physiological. This is the abstract from The Lancet, Volume 347, Issue 9004, 23 March 1996 Page 837

Quote:A sex difference in the human brain and its relation to transsexuality:

TRANSSEXUALS have the strong feeling, often from childhood onwards, of having been born the wrong sex. The possible psycho-genie or biological aetiology of transsexuality has been the subject of debate for many years1,2. Here we show that the volume of the central subdivision of the bed nucleus of the stria terminalis (BSTc), a brain area that is essential for sexual behaviour3,4, is larger in men than in women. A female-sized BSTc was found in male-to-female transsexuals. The size of the BSTc was not influenced by sex hormones in adulthood and was independent of sexual orientation. Our study is the first to show a female brain structure in genetically male transsexuals and supports the hypothesis that gender identity develops as a result of an interaction between the developing brain and sex hormones5,6.

There are other papers, but my point is: it's not 'just in their heads' or 'a choice'.

With that being said however, transsexualism could also be confused with schizophrenia and gender identity disorder, and is often misdiagnosed. That's probably why a lot of psychological tests are required before anyone can have a sex change operation, but it can still go undetected. In that case you could say the person is trying to escape reality.
11-01-2011, 09:38 PM

I say don't judge a person until you've walked a mile in their shoes. Smile I tend to think that people don't tend to choose roads riddled with judgment and persecution unless they have a damn good reason, and I think we just know so little about the effects of hormones, brain chemistry, and environment on sexuality and gender that we should err on the side of understanding until we have more information.

(I think this idea applies to our treatment of animals, abortion, and all sorts of other sticky subjects too.)
11-01-2011, 10:14 PM
I agree with you guys, but maybe I'm biased. xD

Thanks for the input, especially the abstract!

12-01-2011, 04:38 PM
(11-01-2011 08:54 AM)LeviTimes Wrote:  I suppose the question that bothered me most is: is all of this just fighting against reality?

Yes.

Quote:If it is, is that a bad thing?

No. Gandhi fought against reality. Martin Luther King, Junior fought against reality. The Apollo teams fought against reality.

Quote:What makes transgender's escape from reality different and more permissible than religion's?

The transgender's is real.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
13-01-2011, 08:11 AM
My take on whether or not they can truly become their chosen gender is that they can. DNA is a blue print, it only codes for proteins and tells what should be where. If you make a house from some blueprints, but then tear down a wall to merge two rooms into one, does the house still has its original number of rooms, just because it shows it on the blueprints?

No, for all intensive purposes, the house has one less room. I see transgender people that same basic way. Sure, their original gender is written in their DNA, but for all intensive purposes, or they still that gender? No, they become whichever new gender they want.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!