Transgender Bathrooms?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2016, 11:01 AM
RE: Transgender Bathrooms?
(11-05-2016 06:45 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 02:39 PM)Vosur Wrote:  If you think that (religious) conservatives are the only ones who dislike transgender people, you're severely misinformed. Believe it or not, a lot of the hate and discrimination aimed at transsexuals comes from other members of the LGBT community, gay and lesbian people in particular. There are also certain feminist groups that dislike male-to-female transsexuals and reject the idea of giving them the same rights as regular women. It was an eye-opening experience for me when I researched the subject many years ago and found out that there are people from all walks of life who don't like them. I count myself among those people, though I don't care to share my reasons for it with anyone else.

How exactly did you research the subject? Googling? Asking transgendered people?

It is true that some lesbians, gay men and feminists can have an axe to grind with transgendered people, but that's because the mere existence of transgendered people disprove several bullshit sociological theories these people come up with in order to make themselves feel more comfortable about themselves. For example, some older gay men like to think of trans women as drag queens in order to maintain their precarious world view.

The problems come from their own insecurity about being accepted into society. Since homosexuality is now largely accepted in society this problem is quickly diminishing. The TERFs (trans exclusive radical feminists) are also finding themselves on the wrong side of history and it is mainly the older generation of feminists that are more insecure about being their own rights that are the main bigots.

Do you also hate people who you don't yet know are transgendered but otherwise accept? Or only when you find out that they are transgendered?

Do you consider this a problem with yourself or the fact that transgendered people exist?

I would like a definition of transgender. Honestly I do not know what it means. A person who has had a sex change operation? Or them and others? Or what. Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2016, 11:06 AM
(10-05-2016 04:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Show us your hands.
You've been on TTA long enough to know what my hands look like, but I'll humor you anyway. Tongue

[Image: Oofwxb.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
11-05-2016, 11:08 AM
(11-05-2016 11:01 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  I would like a definition of transgender. Honestly I do not know what it means. A person who has had a sex change operation? Or them and others? Or what. Thanks

dancefortwo will know better but I don't think transgender necessarily implies surgery. Gender can be manipulated through hormonal treatments as well. I think.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-05-2016, 11:09 AM
(11-05-2016 11:06 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(10-05-2016 04:42 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Show us your hands.
You've been on TTA long enough to know what my hands look like, but I'll humor you anyway. Tongue

[Image: Oofwxb.jpg]

Look perfectly designed to hold a banana.

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-05-2016, 12:28 PM
(11-05-2016 11:08 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 11:01 AM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  I would like a definition of transgender. Honestly I do not know what it means. A person who has had a sex change operation? Or them and others? Or what. Thanks

dancefortwo will know better but I don't think transgender necessarily implies surgery. Gender can be manipulated through hormonal treatments as well. I think.

Technically, it's not even that much. It's more of how the person identifies. I have no idea what the actual rate of transgendered people taking hormones is, but I think it's much higher than the number who get surgery.

I think it mostly involves a person feeling their gender doesn't match their biological sex.
11-05-2016, 12:45 PM
(11-05-2016 10:19 AM)Ash Wrote:  I mean why wouldn't you want to share your rational reasoning? I mean unless you're just an asshole. I mean you're asking us to take you at your word that you have rational reasons to discriminate against Transgender people.
I'd appreciate it if you stopped putting words in my mouth. I don't recall ever asking someone to believe that my reasons are rational based on my word alone. What I did say is that I'm not going to share them with anyone else. Quite frankly, I have no interest in convincing anyone else to dislike transgender people. The only reason why I decided to post in this thread at all is because someone tried to paint the picture that the only ones who feel negatively about them are part of the conservative (religious) right even though the reality of the situation is much more nuanced than that. As Mathilda later confirmed, there are segments of the LGBT and feminist community that take issue with their existence as well.

Oh and before I forget: Your not-so-subtle accusation/implication that I'm an asshole has been duly noted. [Image: CIcaUz.gif]

(11-05-2016 06:45 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  How exactly did you research the subject? Googling? Asking transgendered people?

It is true that some lesbians, gay men and feminists can have an axe to grind with transgendered people, but that's because the mere existence of transgendered people disprove several bullshit sociological theories these people come up with in order to make themselves feel more comfortable about themselves. For example, some older gay men like to think of trans women as drag queens in order to maintain their precarious world view.

The problems come from their own insecurity about being accepted into society. Since homosexuality is now largely accepted in society this problem is quickly diminishing. The TERFs (trans exclusive radical feminists) are also finding themselves on the wrong side of history and it is mainly the older generation of feminists that are more insecure about being their own rights that are the main bigots.
I've had a couple transgender friends in the past and their stories more or less match up with the experiences I've read about online. It's an ironic situation for sure, but as you yourself pointed out, minorities do indeed discriminate against other minorities.

(11-05-2016 06:45 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Do you also hate people who you don't yet know are transgendered but otherwise accept? Or only when you find out that they are transgendered?

Do you consider this a problem with yourself or the fact that transgendered people exist?
I'm not a big fan of loaded questions, Fräulein*. This is already the second time I have to point out that I have never claimed to hate them. While I do not hate them, I do refuse to comply with their demands to call them by their preferred gender pronouns or to support any legislation aimed at indulging (instead of treating) their mental disorder. I'm in complete agreement with the esteemed psychiatrist Paul McHugh on this topic.

*I know that you're married, but the proper term doesn't sound as nice. :P

11-05-2016, 01:30 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2016 01:36 PM by Ash.)
(11-05-2016 12:45 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(11-05-2016 10:19 AM)Ash Wrote:  I mean why wouldn't you want to share your rational reasoning? I mean unless you're just an asshole. I mean you're asking us to take you at your word that you have rational reasons to discriminate against Transgender people.
I'd appreciate it if you stopped putting words in my mouth. I don't recall ever asking someone to believe that my reasons are rational based on my word alone. What I did say is that I'm not going to share them with anyone else. Quite frankly, I have no interest in convincing anyone else to dislike transgender people. The only reason why I decided to post in this thread at all is because someone tried to paint the picture that the only ones who feel negatively about them are part of the conservative (religious) right even though the reality of the situation is much more nuanced than that. As Mathilda later confirmed, there are segments of the LGBT and feminist community that take issue with their existence as well.

Oh and before I forget: Your not-so-subtle accusation/implication that I'm an asshole has been duly noted. [Image: CIcaUz.gif]

What the fuck is someone supposed to think about your reasons if you aren't willing to share them? It's a reasonable conclusion that your reasons aren't rational if you don't share them. This isn't hard to understand.

You don't have to be religious to want to feel morally superior to someone else. There's plenty of smug assholes who are atheists.

And I'm glad that you caught that. I was worried I was being a bit too subtle. I didn't want to have to use large text and bold letters to get my point across. And yeah, I think anyone who links with Paul McHugh is a goddamn asshole.
11-05-2016, 01:39 PM
(11-05-2016 12:45 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Oh and before I forget: Your not-so-subtle accusation/implication that I'm an asshole has been duly noted. [Image: CIcaUz.gif]

You're gonna need a new notebook soon.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-05-2016, 02:04 PM
(11-05-2016 01:39 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You're gonna need a new notebook soon.
I don't think Notepad++ is going to run out of space anytime soon. Wink

11-05-2016, 03:23 PM
What is even being argued?