Transgender Bathrooms?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2016, 08:30 AM
RE: Transgender Bathrooms?
I think the "safety" argument is mostly useless. I don't think more attacks will happen or more incidents will happen if trans use opposite-sex rest rooms. However, I think all it does is open up the door to universally unisex bathrooms. IMO if biological sex isn't the separator in the restroom, then no other separator makes much more sense. Personally I view the bathroom as a place shared with people who share my equipment. I don't care if you are gay,straight,a past criminal, or a CEO. We all have are "just men" once we start going to the bathroom together.

This would change to us all being "just people" if anybody was allowed in the bathroom. The thing is, with the fluidity of gender identity there is no real "cutoff" for what makes somebody (perceivably) a particular gender. Somebody who looks like 1980s Arnold Schwarzenegger could identify as a woman. Whether or not that makes people uncomfortable.. it just raises the question, "why are we separating bathrooms any ways?"

Personally I'm not comfortable with sharing the bathroom facilities (at the same time) with a biological female as I have NEVER considered the bathroom separation to be gender based -- but sex based (I would feel the same if it was my fiance, mom, sister or friend). And I just don't see why --if we don't care what sex you are when you go into the bathroom--why have a separation at all? Going to the bathroom is a biological process, gender is not.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2016, 08:46 AM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2016 08:52 AM by GirlyMan.)
(13-05-2016 05:29 AM)BnW Wrote:  I'm glad to see an administration fighting for an unpopular minority, but the lawyer in me questions their tactics. Unless I missed something - and I don't think that I did - the Civil Rights Act of 1964 doesn't protect trans people. So, justice has no authority to sue under that statute (something I believe NC has pointed out already).

U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit ruled they are protected under Title IX.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
13-05-2016, 09:50 AM
(13-05-2016 08:46 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-05-2016 05:29 AM)BnW Wrote:  I'm glad to see an administration fighting for an unpopular minority, but the lawyer in me questions their tactics. Unless I missed something - and I don't think that I did - the Civil Rights Act of 1964 doesn't protect trans people. So, justice has no authority to sue under that statute (something I believe NC has pointed out already).

U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit ruled they are protected under Title IX.

I completely missed that. I may read that opinion if I have some time.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
13-05-2016, 01:06 PM
(13-05-2016 08:30 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Personally I'm not comfortable with sharing the bathroom facilities (at the same time) with a biological female as I have NEVER considered the bathroom separation to be gender based -- but sex based (I would feel the same if it was my fiance, mom, sister or friend). And I just don't see why --if we don't care what sex you are when you go into the bathroom--why have a separation at all? Going to the bathroom is a biological process, gender is not.

I think the idea is supposed to be that a transperson would presumably be more comfortable in a bathroom with people that most closely match their appearance. So, if someone who is biologically male, and decided s/he is trans, and yet hasn't done anything to "present" as female would probably keep using the men's room. At some point, if this person decides to transition, they might start using the woman's room.

So, while you have someone who is biologically female coming into the men's room, chances are, this person passes as male at first glance. So, unless you're paying really close attention to who just walked into the stall, you wouldn't even notice.

Obviously, this could vary from person to person, but it seems like exceptions would be more of edge cases than the norm.

I can't speak for everyone, but when I go to use the facilities, I go in there to get my business done and get out, while making about as little eye contact as possible. I can't imagine some male-to-female transwoman is going to walk in, announce that she has a penis, and start making a show of it. She probably wants to get in and get out with as little fuss as possible, just like me. A person with long hair and woman's clothing walking into the woman's room is likely to raise fewer eyebrows than her walking into the men's room.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
13-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Do male and female bears have to use different woods?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
13-05-2016, 05:19 PM
[Image: CgVRSaaWwAAwHpy.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
13-05-2016, 06:39 PM
Why are there assholes in this world? It would be cool if there were no assholes. It would also be cool if people weren't ignorant. It would be cool if everyone was willing to learn about people and also not be assholes. Then, we wouldn't worry about someone's parts or their gender identity. Everyone's a human. I don't see Trans or non-Trans people as the issue. I think the issue is people who make dumb choices and don't give a shit about other people.
13-05-2016, 06:50 PM
Consider
I didn't know bathrooms had genitals.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-05-2016, 06:54 PM
(13-05-2016 06:50 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Consider
I didn't know bathrooms had genitals.

They don't, but if they did, I would be scared. Laugh out load
If bathrooms had genitals, would they wear clothes? Would they make bathroom babies? Laugh out load

☆☆☆
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
13-05-2016, 07:28 PM (This post was last modified: 14-05-2016 08:10 AM by I Am.)
This is so... Just... Why is there an issue? Everyone can go where they know they should go. Why is this even a legitimate discussion? When did this intrusive, embarassing, toilet politics become even VAGUELY OKAY?

Rage aside (deep breath), I have questions about how this has developed all at once in several cities and states. Specifically, in several city and state governing bodies. Are there some common groups or people advocating for the different bills in different places? This whole business just wasn't an issue... like, a little while ago. It seems like someone made it up and targeted it at lawmakers.

Edit: No offence to the thread. Glad to be here. I'm talking about the national, political discussion, not ours.
[+] 1 user Likes I Am's post