Transgender

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2011, 10:23 AM
RE: Transgender
(13-01-2011 08:11 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  My take on whether or not they can truly become their chosen gender is that they can. DNA is a blue print, it only codes for proteins and tells what should be where. If you make a house from some blueprints, but then tear down a wall to merge two rooms into one, does the house still has its original number of rooms, just because it shows it on the blueprints?

No, for all intensive purposes, the house has one less room. I see transgender people that same basic way. Sure, their original gender is written in their DNA, but for all intensive purposes, or they still that gender? No, they become whichever new gender they want.

Exactly.

Fuck reality.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-01-2011, 03:36 PM
(13-01-2011 08:11 AM)ashley.hunt60 Wrote:  My take on whether or not they can truly become their chosen gender is that they can. DNA is a blue print, it only codes for proteins and tells what should be where. If you make a house from some blueprints, but then tear down a wall to merge two rooms into one, does the house still has its original number of rooms, just because it shows it on the blueprints?

No, for all intensive purposes, the house has one less room. I see transgender people that same basic way. Sure, their original gender is written in their DNA, but for all intensive purposes, or they still that gender? No, they become whichever new gender they want.

"intents and purposes". I'm really sorry, but that was bugging me Tongue

Anyways, I agree with this. There are cases of "genetically male" individuals (i.e. they have Y chromosomes) who, because of either a deficiency of androgens, or an inability to convert said androgens into a certain type of testosterone that starts the development of male sex organs, do not develop male-typical bodies (either in brain structure or internal/external sex organs). The same can occur with "genetically female" individuals.

In reality, or "naturally", there are not just two sexes or genders. There are at least three. There are biological males, biological females, "true" hermaphrodites (i.e. they have both male and female body parts), and intersexed individuals (i.e. they have ambiguous genitalia/sex organs). So, naturally, with the diversity of biological sex and development, it should be expected that there is a diversity of gender-identification as well.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes SecularStudent's post
17-01-2011, 08:43 AM

(09-01-2011 11:23 PM)LeviTimes Wrote:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S5usRgY720

It's a really cute video in my opinion, and I'm really glad for that little girl. Jealous, but glad. xD

I liked the video. I'm glad she has such supportive parents and people in her life. I watched a documentary about children who in their minds knew they should be the opposite gender and saw the genitals they have as a birth defect... Growing up feeling that you are the wrong gender can be damaging... One of the kids in the documentary almost cut their penis off Confused..

When a child wants to change gender they don't just rush them into surgery and switch their genitals around.. For many years they just allow them to live like the opposite gender by changing their name, clothes, hair and activities they do and near the time of puberty they allow them to take hormone treatments so that a girl's voice will break and they will grow more masculine features... and on a boy so they will grow breasts and avoid getting as much hair and such..
Quote this message in a reply
17-01-2011, 04:45 PM

I don't know... if it were my kid, I wouldn't let them change their clothes or take hormones until they're older. I may never completely understand what it's like, but I honestly don't think a child is capable of making a decision like that.
17-01-2011, 05:23 PM

(17-01-2011 04:45 PM)mBear Wrote:  I don't know... if it were my kid, I wouldn't let them change their clothes or take hormones until they're older. I may never completely understand what it's like, but I honestly don't think a child is capable of making a decision like that.

who are we to say what a child boy or girl should wear.. just because society says girls should wear pink things and skirts and boys should wear trousers and spiderman tshirts doesnt mean they have to.. just because society says boys should have short hair and girls should have long hair doesn't mean they have to... just because society says girls should have names like Emily and boys should have names like James doesn't mean they have to... let a person do what is going to make themselves happy and if they decide later on in life that they actually don't want this, then they can change it, but in the case of somebody with gender dysphoria its not too likely that they will suddenly realise that they don't want to be the opposite gender. By the time it comes to hormone treatments they are definitely old enough to know what gender they want to be... it's just like sexuality... I knew my sexuality since I was a kid and I never changed my mind the same way as they know what gender they should be and i don't think they can get a sex change until they are 18 and even before then they will spend many years in a transition period.

When you said you didnt think a child is capable of making a decision like that it reminds me of religious parents whos child wants to be atheist and they just say they are too young to understand it and make a decision like that.
[+] 1 user Likes Speiraz's post
17-01-2011, 07:31 PM

You're right.. just because society says a girl should wear pink and a boy should wear blue, doesn't mean they have to! I agree with you. I have absolutely no problem with a person who feel like they need to change their gender. It is completely their life, their choice.

However, when it comes to children, it's a different story in my opinion. Now I'm not an expert; I don't have children of my own, nor have I ever read a parenting book. But as far as I know, childhood is a vital part of a person's life; they are learning who they are, learning about life. Children don't know what is the best for them, they need their parents to discipline them and guide them. If my parents had let me loose when I was a kid, I'd be completely covered in tattoos and piercings and I know I would have regretted it. If my parents would have let me act on my beliefs, my life would be completely different, in a very bad way. That's just my experience though.

As to religious parents who wouldn't let their child be an atheist, it is a tragedy. But how about a situation where the child doesn't know anything about atheism? Has no understanding of evolution, or why some people reject to believe in God. He's too young, and just wants to rebel for the sake of rebelling, or to seem cool to a friend? Would you still say the child is capable of making a decision? I'd rather the child grows up, reads a book or two and understands why he believes in the things he believes in.

My point is, I wouldn't want my children to make a poor decision with little knowledge. I'd never try to suppress their beliefs or force mine down their throats (though I won't be thrilled if they decided to be theists Tongue), but if they are to make a big decision regarding the rest of their lives, I think it would be my job as a parent to make sure they are old enough to understand what it means.
18-01-2011, 09:30 AM

I found a documentary on youtube about this topic. It's called "Age 8 and wanting a sex change" Perhaps watching this could open your eyes to things you may not have thought about. There are quite a few positive comments on the videos, which is good Smile

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG2wXP6Gmik
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEPDTqdtB_c#
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVXMaH-o20w
Part 4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbecQT9GE9A
Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTuUG4vMJNE

Tell me what you think about it.
18-01-2011, 12:49 PM

I've got no clue whether its an escape from reality or an affliction this person has lived with for some time. I've never experienced their mindset, it must be a tuff one to live with. i pass no judgement upon them... its their life they can live it as they choose and i hope only that they find happiness.
18-01-2011, 03:01 PM
(17-01-2011 07:31 PM)mBear Wrote:  However, when it comes to children, it's a different story in my opinion.

I understand what you mean in this post. There are lots of really stupid things I would have done, too, and regretted for the rest of my life as a child (changing my name to Sonic the Hedgehog? No thanks. Tongue) But I can distinctly remember even back then knowing something was wrong.

I would usually agree that in cases with children it's probably best to wait until they're at least teenagers, but I feel it's different with transsexual identity due to the horrors puberty brings. It sounds cheesy, but there's not a day that goes by that I don't wish my parents would have let me be a girl back then. I remember even saying that I was flat-out (not to blame my parents, I love them and they believed they were making the right decision). Even now that I'm beginning transitioning, there are some things that can never be corrected (at least not without copious amounts of plastic surgery Tongue).

If it weren't for puberty, I would agree with you for the most part. But because of it, I feel tons of regret as it is.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-01-2011, 04:06 PM

(18-01-2011 09:30 AM)Speiraz Wrote:  I found a documentary on youtube about this topic. It's called "Age 8 and wanting a sex change" Perhaps watching this could open your eyes to things you may not have thought about. There are quite a few positive comments on the videos, which is good Smile

Tell me what you think about it.

Thank you for sharing the documentary. It was interesting. I'm still having trouble accepting the fact that children are capable of making a decision like that and I hate the idea of giving them hormones that will do irreversible changes to their bodies, but the documentary shed some light on what it is really like for them. I recently saw one of Scott Meyers' basic instruction cartoons, and it had a good point: "Focus not on the troublesome fact, but on yourself. Try to figure out why you're having so much trouble accepting it." So you definitely gave me a few things to think about Smile