Transgender

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2011, 02:39 PM

RE: Transgender
(23-04-2011 05:46 AM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  It just means observing their lives beyond this one part that seems to get you so irritated.

Who's irritated?

And yes, the self is omnipresent...it is, inescapable.

Empathy, sympathy and compassion need not be an exercise in 'out of body' understanding, nor do they require any amount of "walking a mile in someone's shoes"...much like the idea that a deity is required for morality, the idea that complete understanding/endorsement of someone elses lifestyle is necessary for empathy, sympathy or compassion is borderline silly.
Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2011, 10:14 AM
(23-04-2011 02:39 PM)sano Wrote:  Empathy, sympathy and compassion need not be an exercise in 'out of body' understanding, nor do they require any amount of "walking a mile in someone's shoes"

Here's some truth, I agree with that. I fancy myself as someone who can offer these qualities without walking a mile in someone's shoes, because no amount of observation and "understanding" can make me know what it is to be something else.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2011, 11:53 AM
(23-04-2011 02:39 PM)sano Wrote:  Who's irritated?

In the case of Trans-issues just like LGBT stuff in general, these things come up when people have a problem I wasn't talking about you I was talking about a practice.

And what makes you think that being beyond the self is an out of body experience? That's just awkward. Let's go ahead and leave this alone though, since explaining some more of this will be discussing bad personal childhood experiences and I might be upset by your responses.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
28-04-2011, 07:27 AM
At my workplace, there's a lieutenant-commander that, after 25 years of service, changed sex. Nobody knew anything about it...

I must agree I almost laughed the first I saw 'her'. When she was still a man, she was a hairy one, wearing leather biker vests and such. Seeing the same face with a blonde wig (he was bald) and breasts, yeah it was kind of shocking. And I felt uneasy...
But then I realised how he must have felt all these years. I can't even imagine how it must feel to be inside a wrong body and how uneasy she must've felt. And I truly congragulate the former him for having the courage to take that step, regardeless of what people would say or think about it.

Yes, she's an ugly woman now, but I just wish we would live in world where her decision wouldn't take years. A decision held back by prejudice and irrational hatred. Because that would've prevented her from being unhappy for the greater part of her life.

Ugly or not, I really respect her.

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 2 users Like Thammuz's post
27-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Don't shoot the newbie for resurrecting an old thread!

I see, "walking a mile in one's shoes" as simply the earnest striving to truly understand another person, particularly in cases where you might feel especially awkward, uncomfortable, threatened or what have you. It's different than listening with the intent to inject your own opinion or judgment....it's immersing yourself mentally in their experience as much as you can--it takes great vulnerability to do this sometimes.

"As Nature Made Him: The Boy Who Was Raised as a Girl," by John Colapinto gives an excellent (albeit tragic) insight showing that one's brain, not genitals, determines one's gender. I think this was one of Money's kids.

I used to be part of a transgender forum and one of the women I befriended there, Leigh (who's since passed), liked to say, "Your sex is between your legs and your gender is between your ears." How true.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2012, 09:24 PM
Feel free to resurrect any thread, I've discussed this with others as well. Any time you have an opinion to add it's perfectly fine.

I was really confused by how hard it was for people to accept the importance of learning to see through someone else's eyes. But then not everyone has my interests or has led the crazy sort of life I've lived.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
27-02-2012, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2012 09:36 PM by Percepticon.)
[/align]I think people have too hard a time understanding and accepting themselves, and find it that much harder to extend it to others.

Drinking Beverage Grab a cuppa' joe; sit-n-read my blog for a spell: www.vaweber.wordpress.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user