Transgenderism, gender, and identy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2016, 10:01 AM
RE: Transgenderism, gender, and identy
Great post! On another forum somebody linked a similar study and cherry-picked it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-06-2016, 03:42 AM
(13-06-2016 05:15 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I suspect that suicide rates go up in transgender people not because they are no longer happy with who they are but because of the way society treats transgender people and the kinds of pressure and hate directed to that part of the community.

I suspect suicide rates among transgendered will increase as they become more accepted into society. Those transgendered which are depressed are going to be a lot more depressed(relative to their peers) when they see the happiness of their peers increasing while theirs remains in the gutter.

In any population you can expect a subset to be miserable. Being miserable is a lot more tolerable when your peers are also miserable. There is comradery in a common lot. On the other hand being miserable unbearably sucks when your surrounded by happy people.
16-06-2016, 03:50 AM
(16-06-2016 03:42 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I suspect hope suicide rates among transgendered will increase as they become more accepted into society. Those transgendered which are depressed are going to be a lot more depressed(relative to their peers) when they see the happiness of their peers increasing while theirs remains in the gutter.

Corrected for what you really mean.

And you're wrong.

As transgendered people become more accepted into society, they will be able to transition earlier in life, which means a more a successful transition and greater acceptance into society in their chosen gender.

Most transgendered people that you notice are ones who have transitioned later in life. The ones who you wouldn't be able to tell apart from cisgendered people, and who are seen and treated by everyone as being cisgendered, are the ones who have normally transitioned earlier in life. These are the ones who are more likely to be able put it all behind them and lead happy and productive lives.
[+] 5 users Like Mathilda's post
16-06-2016, 03:56 AM
(16-06-2016 03:50 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 03:42 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I suspect hope suicide rates among transgendered will increase as they become more accepted into society. Those transgendered which are depressed are going to be a lot more depressed(relative to their peers) when they see the happiness of their peers increasing while theirs remains in the gutter.

Corrected for what you really mean.

And you're wrong.

You are just another silly atheist who thinks they can read the heart and minds of others. You delude yourself into thinking you know what others actually think. The truth is you have no such super powers. So please stop pretending you can work these miracles.
16-06-2016, 04:32 AM
(16-06-2016 03:56 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 03:50 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Corrected for what you really mean.

And you're wrong.

You are just another silly atheist who thinks they can read the heart and minds of others. You delude yourself into thinking you know what others actually think. The truth is you have no such super powers. So please stop pretending you can work these miracles.

Social Acceptance: A prime ingredient in depression.

Only in this fucker's mind. Facepalm

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-06-2016, 08:29 AM
(16-06-2016 03:42 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 05:15 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I suspect that suicide rates go up in transgender people not because they are no longer happy with who they are but because of the way society treats transgender people and the kinds of pressure and hate directed to that part of the community.

I suspect suicide rates among transgendered will increase as they become more accepted into society. Those transgendered which are depressed are going to be a lot more depressed(relative to their peers) when they see the happiness of their peers increasing while theirs remains in the gutter.

In any population you can expect a subset to be miserable. Being miserable is a lot more tolerable when your peers are also miserable. There is comradery in a common lot. On the other hand being miserable unbearably sucks when your surrounded by happy people.

You fucking asshole. My daughter's depression disappeared after she transitioned. Her friends have had the same experience. You're not just an idiot, you're a complete idiot.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
20-06-2016, 04:07 PM
<removeing little wall of text and getting to the point>
All it needs is a lot of patience when it comes to educating people on this. Transgendered people are now at the point where gay people where just a few years ago. It takes time. Society is ready to be educated but it takes time.

For some more stuff on trans issues:
Here is a huge google doc with tons of links to studies and other stuff. Someone on reddit linked it.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
20-06-2016, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2016 04:31 PM by dancefortwo.)
(20-06-2016 04:07 PM)Leela Wrote:  <removeing little wall of text and getting to the point>
All it needs is a lot of patience when it comes to educating people on this. Transgendered people are now at the point where gay people where just a few years ago. It takes time. Society is ready to be educated but it takes time.

For some more stuff on trans issues:
Here is a huge google doc with tons of links to studies and other stuff. Someone on reddit linked it.

I'll have to go through that link. I've seen many studies and probably the ones I've read are on that list. I'll look at your link more closely.

There's a curious phenomenon regarding finger ratio and exposure to testosterone in the womb. This is from Live Science.

Previous research has found that this "2D:4D" ratio — the ratio of the ­length of the second digit (the index finger) to that of the fourth digit (the ring finger) — reveals the amount of male hormones, mainly testosterone, a person is exposed to in the womb. The more testosterone, the longer the ring finger grows.

It continues on to say....

The shorter the index finger relative to the ring finger, the longer the stretched penis was — likely a result of testosterone exposure in the womb, the researchers said,

There needs to be larger studies than this but so far it's quite interesting.

http://www.livescience.com/49883-finger-...n-men.html

My transgender daughter's hands were always feminine looking and I couldn't figure out what it was that made them feminine looking. Then I started reading about finger ratio.

Edit: Adding another link. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-06-2016, 04:54 PM
I think the thing with the hormones is a bit tricky. Sure you can make a study, but you can probably also make one that shows the opposite or something else. Always depends on what you focus on. I will read your link though. (The finger thing would actually fit me Big Grin )

Hormones in general should be checked with caution and only by considerate doctors. Hormonal imbalance can be just as much of a problem to mental health as a trauma or a difficult phase in a life can be. So I'd always consider everything and have a professional involved.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
21-06-2016, 03:56 AM
(13-06-2016 06:07 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  If trans people regretted it then the medical establishment wouldn't provide treatment. The treatment is there because it has been the only thing that has so far worked and has always been the last option given to the patient.

People regret buying drugs or alcohol but there are still plenty of vendors that sell it. Your claim does not make sense. The treatment is provided because there is a market for it. It really is as simple as that.