Transhumanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2014, 09:15 AM
Transhumanism
An idea that has attracted a lot of controversy for decades.
Many find it evil and disgusting.

I personally find it amazing.
Brain uploading, cybernetic limbs, genetic modification.
Transhumanism is the enhancing of the human body and/or the human condition for the better.

What's your view?

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-10-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: Transhumanism
I have a role in organizing a convention in Laughlin, Nevada, next month where the speakers will talk about transhumanist ideas:

http://venturist.info/conventions.html
08-10-2014, 10:02 AM
I've heard of some quality sci-fi books discussing the topics of Transhumanism, can't think of titles but the author David Brin is one that loves discussing it that I'm aware of.

I have never had a problem with the idea and embrace it on a basic level. I do have some romantic feelings of the natural world but for humanity or beings on a purely biological level, I don't deem them sacred in anyway. Altering the body for enchantments is fine by my book as long as there is a social force to establish fair equality.

I don't even like the concept of humanist over egalitarian because I would already say it's limiting in the future when transhumans or potentially trans/otherspecies or aliens are in the discussion of equal rights.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
08-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Resistance is futile.
No
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
08-10-2014, 11:29 PM
If you're into anime, I would advocate Ghost in the Shell. It really delves into a future where we understand the human body and enhance it and allow interactions between our conscious and computers.

It also poses the question: if we can create computers that can hold our conscious, could a computer become self aware as well?

Also, beautiful anime.
[+] 2 users Like Kaepora Gaebora's post
09-10-2014, 03:09 PM
A quote I really like is one from the video game Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

“Sarif was right about one thing, it’s in our nature to want to rise above our limits. Think about it. We were cold, so we harnessed fire. We were weak, so we invented tools.
Every time we met an obstacle, we used creativity and ingenuity to overcome it. The cycle is inevitable…but will the outcome always be good?
I guess that will depend on how we approach it.These past few months, I was challenged many times, but more often than not, didn’t I try to keep morality in mind, knowing that my actions did not have to harm others?
Time and time again, didn’t I resist the urge to abuse power and resources, simply to achieve my goals more swiftly? In the past we’ve had to compensate for weaknesses, finding quick solutions that only benefit a few.
But what if we never have to feel weak or morally conflicted again? What if the path Sarif wants us to take enables us to hold on to higher values with more stability?
One thing is obvious: for the first time, we have a chance to steal fire from the gods.
To turn away from it now, to stop pursuing a future where technology and biology combine – leading to the promise of a Singularity – would be to deny the essence of who we are.
No doubt the road to get there will be bumpy, hurting some people along the way. But won’t achieving the dream be worth it? We can become the gods we’ve always been striving to be. We might as well get good at it.”
—Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Trouble rather the tiger in his lair than the sage among his books. For to you kingdoms and their armies are things mighty and enduring, but to him they are but toys of the moment, to be overturned with the flick of a finger.”

― Gordon R. Dickson
10-10-2014, 11:29 PM
I support transhumanism 100%.

I long for the day if I could get a robotic limb or have my brain uploaded to a computer for eternal life.

I want the future of Ghost in the shell to be here today! So, I may see the future in 200 years or further.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
11-10-2014, 04:29 AM
The whole idea of having your brain uploaded into a computer won't work the way people think it will. When people talking about uploading themselves they are implicitly assuming some kind of non-physical self that can be moved from one location to another.

Imagine what would actually happen. You're laying on a bed and your brain is being scanned. The data is sent to a computer which creates a simulation of your brain. The brain simulated in the computer is a virtual copy of your own brain. You can possibly even have a conversation with it. The scientists then turn round to you and say that the next step is to kill your old self. Would you do it?
11-10-2014, 05:16 AM
Simulations of human brains will be out-competed in the virtual world by simpler and more efficient simulations that will evolve to fill the space in a more natural and compatible way.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
11-10-2014, 06:50 AM
(11-10-2014 04:29 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  The whole idea of having your brain uploaded into a computer won't work the way people think it will. When people talking about uploading themselves they are implicitly assuming some kind of non-physical self that can be moved from one location to another.

Imagine what would actually happen. You're laying on a bed and your brain is being scanned. The data is sent to a computer which creates a simulation of your brain. The brain simulated in the computer is a virtual copy of your own brain. You can possibly even have a conversation with it. The scientists then turn round to you and say that the next step is to kill your old self. Would you do it?

eh, with peoples desire, money and the other stuff to make it happen the way they think it will. I am sure they will find a way. Just look at the thousands who are frozen in storage right now, waiting to be rescued from death?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ