Transhumanism.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2012, 12:35 PM
Transhumanism.
I know I'm new here, but I thought I would see how the people of this community thought about this particular topic. Transhumanism, the idea that we can overcome the human condition through the use of rapidly advancing technology (Far too brief a description, but I'm sure most of you know what it is.) brought me out of blind faith when I saw the abyss of human suffering in the world.

I resolved to do whatever I could to fix things. Religion tells us that man is always beyond redemption. I found this incredibly depressing. On one hand, I saw this suffering. On the other hand, I saw scientists and benefactors curing disease, creating life changing technology and making the world a better place in ways I could see and touch.

My goal upon leaving the service was to find a way to contribute. I now study software and look to someday help bring down the barrier between human cognizance and machine potential. In order to change the human condition, you have to change humanity. Just as homo Erectus preceded us, so will we have a successor.

Unlike the early hominids, however, we have a chance to forge our own destiny. This future will sneak up on some, but we cannot afford to let that happen. Even the great Theist C.S. Lewis understood the puzzle.

"Human nature will be the last part of Nature to surrender to Man. The battle will then be won. We shall be henceforth free to make our species whatever we wish it to be."

What about you? Where do you see the hope of mankind?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cryo's post
30-09-2012, 02:08 PM
RE: Transhumanism.
(30-09-2012 12:35 PM)Cryo Wrote:  What about you? Where do you see the hope of mankind?

Technology. The Singularity is motherfucking Near. Wink

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-09-2012, 04:56 PM
Until we understand the basis of consciousness, I don't see transhumanism as likely. Also, take it from an expert: the structure of the human brain and the structure of a computer are totally different. We might be able to interface the two (that only involves understanding encoding and signaling), but imparting consciousness into a machine? No one has any fucking clue. Minimum of 50 years into the future, more likely 100 years+.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
01-10-2012, 01:12 AM
I love human nature, in all it's inglorious nobility. Besides, Im a Luddite.
01-10-2012, 06:18 AM
I don't think the "human condition" is properly understood. Human nature has not been properly defined, and related. How can we "fix" something if we still have no idea what it is?

I'm not convinced that we know what the nature of humanity is, let alone ourselves. Once this is done, then we can seriously talk about Transhumanism.
01-10-2012, 06:35 AM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2012 07:01 PM by Bucky Ball.)
I'm a big fan of Kurzweil's Singularity. We already are partly "transhuman", as our memory systems are vastly enhanced by iPods, (or whatever), with whatever we save for instant retreival in the cloud, cardiac implants, various brain implants, (now for medical reason, but soon for other reasons). total joint replacements, many surgical procedures, memory enhancement implants won't be far off. We don't have to "create" consciousness in machines, just extend and enhance what we have already.
Just started reading John C. Wright's trilogy, "The Golden Age". It's great.
We already have nerve interface between nano-technology, and nerve cells. No reason to think some sort of advanced Pet Scan, or MRI scan couldn't do some sort of mapping of the electrial/chemical patterns, and do a "save", to make brain patterns entirely machine. I think it will be sooner, than later.
http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/en/matt_ri...e_sex.html

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-10-2012, 05:38 PM
(30-09-2012 04:56 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Until we understand the basis of consciousness, I don't see transhumanism as likely.

(01-10-2012 06:35 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I'm a big fan of Kurzweil's Singularity. We already are partly "transhuman", as our memory systems are vastly enhanced by iPods, (or whatever), with whatever we save for instant retrieval in the cloud, cardiac implants, various brain implants (now for medical reason, but soon for other reasons). memory enhancement implants won't be far off. We don't have to "create" consciousness in machines, just extend and enhance what we have already.

What Fullerene said, Phaedrus. Thumbsup

First thing Ima gonna get me is some artificial balls so I can stop slapping this testosterone gel all over my fatass every day. Then Ima gonna get me an artificial pancreas to kick the diabetes in the fucking ass (prolly gonna still keep taking the metformin though, since it appears to have some beneficial life extension properties independent of its insulin sensitivity effects). ... Technology for the motherfucking win. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
01-10-2012, 06:18 PM
Transhumanism isn't something to be promoted, is something that will happen sooner or later. That said, I don't believe we can predict how it will happen, or what is necessary (beyond the basic technology development requisite).

But I like the idea, I'd like to live a few centuries Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]