Transit of Venus - DON'T MISS THIS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2012, 12:23 PM
Transit of Venus - DON'T MISS THIS
It happens today at 5:45 EDT and will not do so again for another 115 years. No one alive today will ever see it again!

Venus will partially block the view of the sun today.

If you don't live near an observatory, don't worry. NASA will televise this live on a webcast

http://venustransit.nasa.gov/transitofvenus/

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
05-06-2012, 12:43 PM
RE: Transit of Venus - DON'T MISS THIS
(05-06-2012 12:23 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  It happens today at 5:45 EDT and will not do so again for another 115 years. No one alive today will ever see it again!

If you don't live near an observatory, don't worry. NASA will televise this live on a webcast

I have a kick-ass telescope, a kick-ass camera, and 10/10 cloud cover. Sadcryface2 Hobo Sadcryface

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2012, 12:50 PM
(05-06-2012 12:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-06-2012 12:23 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  It happens today at 5:45 EDT and will not do so again for another 115 years. No one alive today will ever see it again!

I have a kick-ass telescope, a kick-ass camera, and 10/10 cloud cover. Sadcryface2 Hobo Sadcryface
Use the webcast, multiple video streamed from multiple sites on Earth.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

05-06-2012, 01:00 PM
Same! Same with the eclipse last night, too. So bummed. I missed the last solar eclipse as well a few weeks back.

(05-06-2012 12:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  

05-06-2012, 01:18 PM
(05-06-2012 01:00 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Same! Same with the eclipse last night, too. So bummed. I missed the last solar eclipse as well a few weeks back.
(05-06-2012 12:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  I have a kick-ass telescope, a kick-ass camera, and 10/10 cloud cover. Sadcryface2 Hobo Sadcryface

Yep; overcast as hell. Dodgy

Oh well, Nasa always gets great pics. I'll be watching just in case... might just get lucky... the moon last night was unbelievable! Yes

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-06-2012, 01:27 PM
(05-06-2012 12:50 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  
(05-06-2012 12:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  I have a kick-ass telescope, a kick-ass camera, and 10/10 cloud cover. Sadcryface2 Hobo Sadcryface
Use the webcast, multiple video streamed from multiple sites on Earth.
It's just not the same as really seeing it and getting my own pictures. Weeping

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-06-2012, 01:56 PM
(05-06-2012 01:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's just not the same as really seeing it and getting my own pictures. Weeping

I know what you mean... one of my fondest memories was a fairly common, partial eclipse I experienced many years ago. I didn't even have good equipment or anything, just my crappy old camera. But when I saw the Moon go into position over the Sun, and the light filtering through trees became hundreds of little crescents reflected on everything... WoW! Ohmy Giddy doesn't even begin to describe my discovery.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
05-06-2012, 02:44 PM

My condolences. No telescope here, kick-ass or otherwise, but the Los Angeles sky is cloud-free and the sun is brilliant. Life isn't fair.

We have a pair of special solar viewers (cheap cardboard thingies like old-fashioned 3-D glasses but with very dark plastic filters) that we'll use to see the transit, plus we'll try projecting the image through binoculars onto a white card, as we did with the recent partial eclipse. Not exactly high-tech, but it works.

What kind of scope do you have, by the way?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
05-06-2012, 03:50 PM
(05-06-2012 02:44 PM)cufflink Wrote:  

My condolences. No telescope here, kick-ass or otherwise, but the Los Angeles sky is cloud-free and the sun is brilliant. Life isn't fair.

We have a pair of special solar viewers (cheap cardboard thingies like old-fashioned 3-D glasses but with very dark plastic filters) that we'll use to see the transit, plus we'll try projecting the image through binoculars onto a white card, as we did with the recent partial eclipse. Not exactly high-tech, but it works.

What kind of scope do you have, by the way?
Celestron CGE11 - 11" Schmidt-Cassegrain on a German-Equatorial mount.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-06-2012, 03:58 PM
It's Started!

[Image: Venustransit_2004-06-08_07-49.jpg]

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

[+] 2 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post