Transit of Venus - DON'T MISS THIS

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2012, 04:11 PM
RE: Transit of Venus - DON'T MISS THIS
(05-06-2012 03:50 PM)Chas Wrote:  Celestron CGE11 - 11" Schmidt-Cassegrain on a German-Equatorial mount.

Yeah, that sounds pretty kick-ass. Smile

Do you have any astronomical photos you took yourself that you can post? I bet a lot of people would like to see 'em.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
05-06-2012, 05:33 PM
Every time something cool happens in the sky BC feels the need to remind me of why it's weather is famous. Because it rains.... a lot.... ugh.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the link, Carlo.

I've got it streaming live at work Tongue

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
05-06-2012, 07:33 PM
I saw it!! Bigger than I imagined it would be. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
05-06-2012, 08:01 PM
Nice, caught all the Venus transits for the 21st century. One goal completed Sleepy

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
[+] 2 users Like robotworld's post
05-06-2012, 11:11 PM
A pic from Oz...

[Image: th_venus.jpg?t=1338959388]

A friend of mine took this in South Australia Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
06-06-2012, 05:02 PM
Just ... fucking ... awesome. Only 105 years until the next one. I'm gonna double post this in The World Through Atheist Goggles thread, just because it is just so ... fucking ... awesome. Big Grin

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
06-06-2012, 05:12 PM

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
06-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Very cool. I watched at various times during the approx. 6-hour transit. One thing surprised me: With the naked eye (and proper filters), Venus looked like a black dot against the sun, which was what I expected. But with binoculars, it wasn't a flyspeck at all--it was a perfect little black disk. That was surprising because when I look at Venus as an "evening star" with the same binoculars, it just looks like an extremely brilliant star; no disk is apparent. Against the background of the sun, though, it was very clearly a disk. Anyone know why that should be the case? (I'm thinking that maybe the glare of Venus in the night sky prevents its disk from being seen with binoculars?)

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
06-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Very cool, but not as cool as it would have been if it had been the Transit of Uranus.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post