Translation Errors (OT vs KJV1611 vs NT)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-06-2011, 03:27 AM
Translation Errors (OT vs KJV1611 vs NT)
Does anyone find something like this just odd? Compare all the versions with the lines, which one is the correct one to 'interpret' ?

http://bible.cc/ezekiel/18-20.htm

Why do they alter the horrible parts of the bible, then say it's a translation error? Does anyone else think this is just one of the man-made hints the bible was written by man, edited by man (and goes against revelation where it says adding to gods word is prohibited) ?

I'm asking because I was using the KJV1611, and my 'baptist' friend says the NT renders the KJV/OT invalid, but the older bibles say the OT/KJV1611 is the law, and previously mentioned revelation where it says adding to gods word is prohibited?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2011, 08:40 AM
RE: Translation Errors (OT vs KJV1611 vs NT)
It's all down to Christians wanting to pick/choose/edit what they follow so as to make themselves/their religion look as good as possible.

If you made a list of a politicians speeches, highlighting several direct contradictions and embarrassing comments, they wouldn't accept you had a fair point, they would say stuff had been taken out of context/misquoted/misinterpreted/was wrong, anything to shed a better light on themselves. Christians are just the same for the most part except I think most of them do it sub-consciously (by which I mean their mind cannot accept any criticism of their faith, even when faced with clear evidence so they will say anything to defend it, however ridiculous, so as to cling to their beliefs) as opposed to intentionally.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
04-06-2011, 11:29 AM

(04-06-2011 03:27 AM)Monk Wrote:  Does anyone find something like this just odd? Compare all the versions with the lines, which one is the correct one to 'interpret' ?

http://bible.cc/ezekiel/18-20.htm
It's an easy thing to confuse and an even easier matter to attack, because there are so many translations of what has always been purported to be one and only god's word.

In fairness to the context issue with regard to Ezekiel 18:20, verse 21 should be included so as to make verse 20 make sense. 21) But if the wicked will turn from all his sins that he hath committed, and keep all my statutes, and do that which is lawful and right, he shall surely live, he shall not die.

Keeping in mind also that Ezekiel is Old Testament and was allegedly authored by a real man, in keeping with the pre-Jesus (Christian) religious doctrine's of the time.
Who Wrote Ezekiel?

Taken from the King James Version. Which traditionally is the version preferred by most Fundamentalist Evangelicals.

This may assist in understanding the different versions of the Bible.

Why So Many Versions?
Not to mention the confusion associated with re-issuance of new editions, while bearing in mind the original god's breath was decreed a closed canon. (Which means, god said it and that's all he'll have to say for all eternity.) Like the recently released 2011 edition of the NIV.
Quote this message in a reply
04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
I even find differences among the English KJV versions and the translated dutch copy I have at home (Unicorns eg)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
05-06-2011, 11:05 AM

Whenever you translate anything from anything, especially from a language like Coptic, Greek or Hebrew into English, you are going to get translation errors as a fact.
Then you are going to get the translators bias in it as well, this really means that whatever period of time you take, the bible from that time will have been translated to reflect the views people had then.
This is the real trouble I suppose, that and the way Christians take the bible literally.
So when the bible was initially put together, they included the thingy about the unicorns because they didn't know better, and they're pretty cool. By the way, I'm not apologising for them, Paul was a bandwagon jumping idiot and the rest weren't much better.
As Christians believe the bible is the word of god, they're not going to change any of the main text, so unfortunately we're stuck with the ridiculous unicorn reference and the translators can put their own spin on it and the rest of it. Whatever that way may be.
If you want to know what they really meant, I'm afraid your going to have to read the original text in the original language.

Also, a practice throughout the world of antiquity was for a scholar to create a treatise and claim a great man wrote it. Or to edit an existing one without recognition for their work. So Ezekiel's initial book was probably edited until it was added to the bible. We can be sure he probably didn't write much of it.
Another example was with Confucius' Analects, only about 6 books were written by him. The other 14 are either rehashes of his work, or disciples writing new material and attributing it to him.
05-06-2011, 11:47 AM

(04-06-2011 01:32 PM)The_observer Wrote:  I even find differences among the English KJV versions and the translated dutch copy I have at home (Unicorns eg)
Yes, a talking snake, an all powerful all knowing god that had to call out and ask where Adam and Eve were hiding themselves after they learned they were naked, having eaten of the apple, as if Omniscience could be hidden from when god was never seen by Adam and Eve. How "Unicorn" (Hebrew, "Re-em") is mentioned 9 times in the OT. References to Satyr, giants.
And to the young earthers delight, Dinosaurs. So they might continue to believe humans and giant lizards walked together. Which led to what has now evolved into the term, toe jam. Tongue

And TAJD is correct. Translations originating from Hebrew, Aramaic, Greek, Latin, unto what is today's many English versions have but no other choice than to be misinterpreted and errant copies, of copies, of copies that, per Bart Ehrman, afford no access to the autographs that began the compilation of what is today's Christian Bible.
The literalists, the Fundamentalists that believe every single word in the Bible prove themselves not only ignorant of every single word in the Bible, but backsliding too, else they'd live by every single word that includes the many laws of their god contained in the Old Testament. Which on one hoof may not be such a bad idea, considering if they were Fundamentalists and did live literally, they'd for the most part be locked away from the atheists, while serving time in prison for obeying god's word above the laws of man.
06-06-2011, 02:08 AM
I understand some languages may have different words that don't come into english well, but if you look at the translation differences, they are so significant between say, the KJV and the NT. I mean, at first I thought it was a new 'version' of the bible, but alot of the old barbaric stuff was removed.
06-06-2011, 03:13 AM
The KJV1611 was translated poorly from Erasmus' Volume which in of itself was very poorly done. The original manuscripts are so different to the current versions of the bible it's shocking anyone can continue to think the bible is divinely inspired (and people do, people who went through seminary learned all this stuff - your old preachers and pastors knew this but they still told you it was all true.)

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
06-06-2011, 04:22 AM
It seems to be fairly common knowledge, especially among theologians, that the current Bible bears little resemblance to the Bibles of old, with all the translations and editing that have significantly altered it, and yet- as daemonowner points out- some of these bastards still go around preaching that the Bible of today is the inerrent word of god and every word of it is the literal truth. Which makes them bare-faced liars. They know better than anyone the Bible is the work of quite a few different men putting their own spin on a bunch of old fairy tales. So for them to teach children the NT is the literal truth is inexcusable. And the morality they profess to have been given by God has been chucked away like yesterday's non-winning lottery ticket because they are knowingly spreading egregious falsehoods, usually in the pursuit of filling collection plates or getting donors to cut big cheques to them, not to mention all those folks forking over 10% of everythign they make to them. What a racket. If only I had the morals of a snake, I'd become a preacher myself and start raking in the loot, instead of working for a living. (My apologies to any snakes I may have offended with that last line).

The way to see by Faith, is to shut the eye of Reason. - Ben Franklin
06-06-2011, 04:16 PM
(06-06-2011 04:22 AM)hotrodmike Wrote:  It seems to be fairly common knowledge, especially among theologians, that the current Bible bears little resemblance to the Bibles of old, with all the translations and editing that have significantly altered it, and yet- as daemonowner points out- some of these bastards still go around preaching that the Bible of today is the inerrent word of god and every word of it is the literal truth. Which makes them bare-faced liars. They know better than anyone the Bible is the work of quite a few different men putting their own spin on a bunch of old fairy tales. So for them to teach children the NT is the literal truth is inexcusable. And the morality they profess to have been given by God has been chucked away like yesterday's non-winning lottery ticket because they are knowingly spreading egregious falsehoods, usually in the pursuit of filling collection plates or getting donors to cut big cheques to them, not to mention all those folks forking over 10% of everythign they make to them. What a racket. If only I had the morals of a snake, I'd become a preacher myself and start raking in the loot, instead of working for a living. (My apologies to any snakes I may have offended with that last line).

Religion is a business. Like all businesses you give the customer what they want. As you say, most preachers know about the errors. However this is not what the flock wants to hear. They want to know what the bible means today and how it affects their life. They want reinforcement of their believes and companionship with other believers. They are not looking for a lesson on the historical Jesus or biblical errancy. A wise preacher is not going to rock the boat by expounding uncertainty into the church. Plus he may find himself looking for a new job if he even tried. Also as you say, the church is their source of income... before you go whistle blowing you had better have a healthy nest egg and degree in some other line of work.
[+] 2 users Like myst32's post