Transoceanic Canal Connecting Atlantic And Pacific Oceans

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2015, 12:09 AM
Transoceanic Canal Connecting Atlantic And Pacific Oceans
I don’t think this will end well for the environment. Money talks.

Hong Kong Company Building $50 Billion Transoceanic Canal Connecting Atlantic And Pacific Oceans

“The biggest environmental challenge is to build and operate the canal without catastrophic impacts to this sensitive ecosystem […] Significant impacts to the lake could result from incidental or accidental spills from 5,100 ships passing through every year; invasive species brought by transoceanic ships, which could threaten the extinction of aquatic plants and fish, such as the cichlids that have been evolving since the lake’s formation; and frequent dredging, impacting aquatic life through alterations in turbidity and hypoxia, triggered by resuspension of nutrients and organic matter that exert a relatively high biochemical oxygen demand.”

[Image: nicaragua-transoceanic-canal.png]

http://www.immortal.org/5958/50-billion-...nic-canal/

The short video is entertaining and on point.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-03-2015, 06:40 AM
RE: Transoceanic Canal Connecting Atlantic And Pacific Oceans
How can it be "Transoceanic" - when it's crossing LAND???

Huh

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-03-2015, 10:32 AM
(05-03-2015 06:40 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  How can it be "Transoceanic" - when it's crossing LAND???

Huh

Good catch, I guess it sounded good to the writer.

Trans Isthmuth might be better, but that more closely describes the already existing Panama Canal.

Pan Oceanic Canal

Pan Central American Canal

TransCentral American Canal

Interland Canal

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
05-03-2015, 06:13 PM
Why do we need a second one?

What's wrong with the Panama Canal?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-03-2015, 06:43 PM
(05-03-2015 06:13 PM)Sam Wrote:  Why do we need a second one?

I think it's obsolete. The big ships don't fit or something. I know when my mother in law did the cruise thing there through it, her ship was pretty small compared to the huge ones they have.

I thought they were supposed to make it wider or add new lanes...

I don't know what it's called.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

05-03-2015, 06:51 PM
(05-03-2015 06:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

I think it's obsolete. The big ships don't fit or something. I know when my mother in law did the cruise thing there through it, her ship was pretty small compared to the huge ones they have.

They are currently making a new canal 1/3 bigger than the existing but apparently someone isn’t happy about it.

The Supertankers do not fit through the old Panama Canal and the new proposed one will.

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
05-03-2015, 07:03 PM
(05-03-2015 06:51 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(05-03-2015 06:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think it's obsolete. The big ships don't fit or something. I know when my mother in law did the cruise thing there through it, her ship was pretty small compared to the huge ones they have.

They are currently making a new canal 1/3 bigger than the existing but apparently someone isn’t happy about it.

The Supertankers do not fit through the old Panama Canal and the new proposed one will.

Couldn't the old canal be widened?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
05-03-2015, 07:04 PM
(05-03-2015 06:51 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(05-03-2015 06:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think it's obsolete. The big ships don't fit or something. I know when my mother in law did the cruise thing there through it, her ship was pretty small compared to the huge ones they have.

What about Suez? Is that wide enough for large tankers?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
05-03-2015, 08:15 PM
(05-03-2015 07:04 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(05-03-2015 06:51 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  They are currently making a new canal 1/3 bigger than the existing but apparently someone isn’t happy about it.

What about Suez? Is that wide enough for large tankers?

"The size of ships that can transit the canal, called Panamax, is constrained by the size of the locks, which are 110 ft (33.53 m) wide and 1,050 ft (320.04 m) long, and 41.2 ft (12.56 m) deep. The third set of locks will allow transit of larger, Post-Panamax ships, which have a greater cargo capacity than the current locks can handle.”

https://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/...nkers.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Cana...on_project

07-03-2015, 09:11 PM

It's too small.
The biggest ships that can fit through are the Panamax (appropriately named) class ships. It's not that it's "not wide enough", it's that the locks are too small.
They built a new lock that allowed for bigger class of ships, New Panamax, but this new lock is still too small for the likes of the Maersk E-Class container ships (those big blue ones with the tower in the middle of the ship) or the Brazilian owned Valemax ships which are the large ore carrying ships.

China is also currently building even larger ships. They recently (2013) built the largest ship in the world, the CSCL Globe, a container ship that can carry 19,100 containers (compared to the E-Class which can only carry 18,000). Though in January of this year the Mediterranean Shipping Company launched their ship MSC Oscar which can carry 19,224 containers so that's currently the largest, I'm sure much to the annoyance of the Chinese. Tongue

Quote:Couldn't the old canal be widened?

The canal is rather wide, it even opens up into a man made lake at one point, it's just the locks that are the issue.

Quote:What about Suez? Is that wide enough for large tankers?

The Suez is a different ball game compared to the Panama canal because the Suez has no locks to contend with. So ships can be as long as they want and as wide as they want. The only concern is draft (depth beneath the water) and height (due to a bridge). The Suez was made deeper in '09 and it could be deepened again.
Currently only a few oil tankers can't fit and so they off load part of their load to smaller ships so they can fit through or they go around the cape.

The biggest issue with the Suez is that it's not exactly reliable. You have to get into the Red Sea first (by avoiding Somalian pirates and heaven forbid there's some political turmoil in Yemen, Eritrea or Djibouti, all not very politically stable countries I might add) and than you have to take into account that the Suez is in Egypt...

The stability is why such large oil tankers exist because companies in the near past have decided to just build large and go around the cape and avoid the Suez all together.

This new proposed Canal isn't a silly idea. The Panama Canal is very overcrowded, it has the monopoly on travel between the two oceans (without going around the cape of course or taking the long way around) and it's too small to allow new ships currently being built through.
Building a new canal now is a good investment for the future IMO.
I'm all for wildlife and nature and preserving it, but in this case I think the canal trumps out.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post