Transsexualism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Transsexualism
IMO Gender dysphoria is caused by gender role stereotypes...and I've got a first in psychology etc ad infinitum. Leerob I hope ur reading ; I'd drop a link but I think I'm capped from that subforum.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2017, 11:34 AM
RE: Transsexualism
I'd say it's probably made worse by stereotypes, but it seems to me there's often an element that has nothing to do with that. The mind can have a map of the body which does not match the actual body. This would cause distress even if you never met another person, I expect.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
20-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Here's some info about it:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dys.../symptoms/

Quote:The way gender dysphoria affects teenagers and adults is different to the way it affects children. If you're a teenager or adult with gender dysphoria, you may feel:

-without doubt that your gender identity is at odds with your biological sex

-comfortable only when in the gender role of your preferred gender identity

-a strong desire to hide or be rid of the physical signs of your sex, such as breasts, body hair or muscle definition

-a strong dislike for – and a strong desire to change or be rid of – the genitalia of your biological sex

Are you saying this desire is built up entirely as a reaction to societal norms?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
20-11-2017, 11:48 AM
(20-11-2017 11:34 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I'd say it's probably made worse by stereotypes, but it seems to me there's often an element that has nothing to do with that. The mind can have a map of the body which does not match the actual body. This would cause distress even if you never met another person, I expect.

yeah they might be an element of genetic predospitition....but the intellect is queen.....been there done that as far as the biology behind (sic) gender dysphoria goes back in the day on RD.net
20-11-2017, 11:58 AM
I don't doubt that if society wasn't so obsessed with gender roles, some milder cases of being unhappy with one's gender would resolve themselves. But I find it hard to believe that they all would.

20-11-2017, 12:07 PM
I made a thread all about trying to understand gender more here, which lead to some very interesting discussions.

I've come to the conclusion that gender isn't well-defined, and one needs to be clear exactly what is being discussed.

20-11-2017, 12:17 PM
(20-11-2017 12:07 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I've come to the conclusion that gender isn't well-defined, and one needs to be clear exactly what is being discussed.

Yup. And medical evidence needs to be introduced, but I don't feel up to looking for it. Maybe someone has some bookmarked.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
20-11-2017, 12:35 PM
(20-11-2017 11:25 AM)Pragmatix Wrote:  IMO Gender dysphoria is caused by gender role stereotypes...and I've got a first in psychology etc ad infinitum. Leerob I hope ur reading ; I'd drop a link but I think I'm capped from that subforum.

The 80's called and they want their understanding of gender dysphoria back.

Boasting about a first in psychology isn't even an argument from authority.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 11 users Like Mathilda's post
20-11-2017, 12:36 PM
(20-11-2017 12:17 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(20-11-2017 12:07 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I've come to the conclusion that gender isn't well-defined, and one needs to be clear exactly what is being discussed.

Yup. And medical evidence needs to be introduced, but I don't feel up to looking for it. Maybe someone has some bookmarked.

Can you link LeeRob to this thread please? Really need to check that link about the older transgender thread.
20-11-2017, 12:48 PM
(20-11-2017 12:35 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  Boasting about a first in psychology isn't even an argument from authority.
That's the tip of the iceburg circa my knowledge....I'm thinking ethno ethologically temporally circular memetic theorising as an ultimate objective....maybe that's more like a lyric than anything powerful/political tho still. I just don't want LeeRob to cut herself up