Trapped in Fundie School

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2013, 11:42 PM
Trapped in Fundie School
Hello all!

I'm 34, and pretty much just the other day realized I am an atheist. Currently I'm attending Grand Canyon University, home of the Christian fundamentalists and brainless automatons. Ironically enough, it's in attending this school that drove me completely away from faith. I thought college was about higher learning, intelligent discourse, argument and debate as a respectable sport, and the seeking and sharing of knowledge.

HA!

It's about validation of cemented beliefs with no evidence, blatantly flouting science to maintain ridiculous myth, and vociferously attacking the lone student (namely, myself) who is actually seeking to learn, question, and challenge everything. I'd been questioning since I was 12, officially left Catholicism when I was 20 but still held onto Christianity. Seth calls it "being dormant in the faith" in Deconverted, and that's exactly what I was. I thought, "Well hey, Christian schools are always well-funded, solid academic places of learning. After all, I went to a Catholic elementary school and received a very quality education. So why not?" And in three short years went from "everyone's faith is wonderful" to "OMFG get me out of here!"

Just four more classes 'till graduation. Just keep telling myself that.

But the other day I realized my contempt for my classmates and the faculty at the university had alienated me to the point where I was far enough removed from my atrophied faith to see, "Holy burning bible, Batman, I'm an atheist!" I bought Deconverted, Letters From an Atheist Nation, and The God Delusion, have been listening to TTA podcasts nonstop for two days, and immersing myself in the TTA website.

...It feels so damn good to finally be true to my own self. I'm usually not a forum-type person, but I had to join. I want to finally know what it feels like to speak with like-minded people who embrace critical thinking skills.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Spegof's post
05-04-2013, 11:57 PM
RE: Trapped in Fundie School
Welcome!
I have a friend that is or used to be an admissions counselor there. Sadly, I was the one that brainwashed her into being a Christee. Weeping

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
06-04-2013, 12:07 AM
(05-04-2013 11:57 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Welcome!
I have a friend that is or used to be an admissions counselor there. Sadly, I was the one that brainwashed her into being a Christee. Weeping

Oh jeez, that's got to result in some whacked feelings in retrospect. There, there. *pat pat*

Thank you for the welcome. Blush

Seriously, I hate this school. Sometimes I think thank freaking Dog that I'm only attending online courses, because the urge to curbstomp the ignorance --the blatant, defiant ignorance-- is so great that my only outlet right now is to go to my Facebook wall and vent a blue streak until I feel better. At the very least, I want to say, "Sit down and shut up before you hurt yourself, Timmy." It's painful. It's almost like brain freeze without the awesomeness of too much fruit punch Slurpee.
[+] 2 users Like Spegof's post
06-04-2013, 12:08 AM
You may not be the most pathetic student here. Another member goes to Pat Robertson's school. Laughat

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
06-04-2013, 12:31 AM
(06-04-2013 12:08 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  You may not be the most pathetic student here. Another member goes to Pat Robertson's school. Laughat

LOL I saw that. I actually flinched when I read it! No
[+] 1 user Likes Spegof's post
06-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Welcome!
Enjoyed your OP.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-04-2013, 12:41 AM
Why thank you, FC. Love your signature, btw.
06-04-2013, 12:56 AM
I can only imagine the agony of actually having to attend those classes in person! Something akin to proffesional wrestlers heckling each other for the crowd!
But do keep telling yourself that! It'll be over soon Smile

06-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Maybe it's time to stop 'attending' that school. You're an adult - make a rational choice.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
06-04-2013, 07:11 AM
(06-04-2013 07:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  Maybe it's time to stop 'attending' that school. You're an adult - make a rational choice.Drinking Beverage

Trust me. I've made several attempts over the years to transfer out. You wouldn't believe the outright refusal, the red tape, the sabotage, I've faced trying to get out of that school. I'm not kidding when I said "trapped."

Now, being so close, I just try to get through classes. A set measure of interaction with my fellow classmates (if you can really call them that) is required for my grade, however. It's like being required to eat so many handfuls of peanuts while having a peanut allergy.