Travel

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Travel
“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

― Mark Twain, The Innocents Abroad/Roughing It

Who else here is addicted to seeing new places and experiencing new things?

Another question, who on here would you swap houses with for a few weeks?
I’d ask muffs if he’d be interested in living in the Florida Keys for a couple of weeks so we could see New Zealand once again. Thumbsup

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
21-04-2015, 12:40 PM
RE: Travel
(21-04-2015 12:33 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
Who else here is addicted to seeing new places and experiencing new things?

Another question, who on here would you swap houses with for a few weeks?

It's not an addiction... it's a necessary evil. Hobo

I'd swap with someone from Canadia 'cause I've never been there.
Probably Stark, if he'll let me have the key to his 'factory'.

Or, morondog for the same reason. Problem there is that everyone I know who has been to Africa finds it really hard to live anywhere else after they leave. Africa is in / gets into the blood, I'm told.

Consider

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
21-04-2015, 01:20 PM
I have the travel bug, but I'm not a big fan of touristy stuff. I like living in a place and becoming part of it. If I'm vacationing, I wanna be away from the cities. I'd rather be hiking in Nepal than visiting the Great Wall or the Eiffel Tower or something.

I also seem to prefer going to places that are unrealistic, perhaps because I just like to be different. I would love to visit some of Iran's ancient cities, for example, or visit North Korea.

My past three or so years of relative normality has definitely left me feeling very claustrophobic. I'm not used to being in the same place for so long.

(21-04-2015 12:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Problem there is that everyone I know who has been to Africa finds it really hard to live anywhere else after they leave. Africa is in / gets into the blood, I'm told.

Consider

I spent my short visit to Africa guarding a U.N. camp in Sudan populated primarily by refugees and immigration officers a few years before the reestablishment of South Sudan. I can't say it gave me anything other than bad dreams Tongue I would definitely like to visit under a different context sometime.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
22-04-2015, 07:07 AM
I don't travel to see things. I travel to eat things.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
22-04-2015, 07:13 AM
Travel
I like to travel to distant places and have done so many times.

I like to see the tourists scenes just to say I saw them but after that I make a point to go off the beaten path and see the reality of the place I'm in.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
22-04-2015, 07:30 AM
(21-04-2015 01:20 PM)yakherder Wrote:  I have the travel bug, but I'm not a big fan of touristy stuff. I like living in a place and becoming part of it. If I'm vacationing, I wanna be away from the cities. I'd rather be hiking in Nepal than visiting the Great Wall or the Eiffel Tower or something.

I also seem to prefer going to places that are unrealistic, perhaps because I just like to be different. I would love to visit some of Iran's ancient cities, for example, or visit North Korea.

My past three or so years of relative normality has definitely left me feeling very claustrophobic. I'm not used to being in the same place for so long.

(21-04-2015 12:40 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Problem there is that everyone I know who has been to Africa finds it really hard to live anywhere else after they leave. Africa is in / gets into the blood, I'm told.

Consider

I spent my short visit to Africa guarding a U.N. camp in Sudan populated primarily by refugees and immigration officers a few years before the reestablishment of South Sudan. I can't say it gave me anything other than bad dreams Tongue I would definitely like to visit under a different context sometime.

[Image: join-the-army-see-the-world-meet-interes...l-them.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
22-04-2015, 08:47 AM
I've done my share of travel, but I'm getting to the age where the hassles outweigh the rewards (especially with all the bullshit you have to go through to get on an airplane these days).

In my younger days, though, I've been to Chicago, Munich, and London, and enjoyed doing the usual tourist stuff when I was in those places. But in general, I prefer natural wonders to man-made ones. Places like the Rocky Mountains, Niagara Falls, and the Grand Canyon (and Devils Lake right here in Wisconsin) are much more to my liking than any big city. My fondest vacation memories are of hiking, climbing, and biking in those places. One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't get down to the Bavarian Alps when I was in the Munich area.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
22-04-2015, 09:02 AM
I visit Bridlington once a year, there's a nice Wetherspoons there. Yay.

I've never traveled for "travelling" purposes in my entire like. Been on holiday to spain about 6 times when I was young, Turkey 3 times.

In June I will be officially travelling for the first time in my life being my own carer!!! Staying in Athens right on the Akropolis and then going to see Mycanae.

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
22-04-2015, 09:16 AM (This post was last modified: 22-04-2015 10:08 AM by Bows and Arrows.)
I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to travel. but with 2 kids in school and being flat broke pretty much keeps me at porchview USA.

Like someone else said, I prefer natural wonders over man made, but I'm up for any of it. I don't want to travel anywhere that wants to kill me either because I'm American, or atheist, or want me to dress in a particular way because I am a woman, or gang rape- There are a bazillion other places I could think of before the dangerous ones make my list. If I ever get thru all the 'nice' places and I am bored- i will possibly consider some others.

I agree switching houses with those in other countries would be fun. Muffs, Hafnof, morondog, underground, Full Circle, and those in Europe.

sadly, I doubt many would want to come to bible belt, South Carolina. lol.

had to edit to add: If you like American history, SC is full of it , in more ways than one.
[Image: sc-map.jpg]

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 4 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
22-04-2015, 09:57 AM
(22-04-2015 09:16 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to travel. but with 2 kids in school and being flat broke pretty much keeps me at porchview USA.

Like someone else said, I prefer natural wonders over man made, but I'm up for any of it. I don't want to travel anywhere that wants to kill me either because I'm American, or atheist, or want me to dress in a particular way because I am a woman, or gang rape- There are a bazillion other places I could think of before the dangerous ones make my list. If I ever get thru all the 'nice' places and I am bored- i will possibly consider some others.

I agree switching houses with those in other countries would be fun. Muffs, Hafnof, morondog, underground, Full Circle, and those in Europe.

sadly, I doubt many would want to come to bible belt, South Carolina. lol.

I don't mind traveling where they want to kill me for being American or atheist as long as I can shoot back Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post