Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-04-2013, 11:34 AM
Travel tips for Germany?
The Mr. and I will be spending most of May in Europe. The itinerary is:

BELGIUM: Bruges
GERMANY: Cologne, Berlin, Bayreuth, Munich
FRANCE: Mulhouse, Troyes, Paris

It's mostly for pleasure, although we'll be attending a conference in Berlin. I've been to Bruges before, and we know Paris, where we have friends. But Germany will be a first for both of us.

So . . . does anyone have suggestions regarding our German destinations? Arrangements for accommodations are already in place, and all travel within the country will be by rail. Of course we have guidebooks, but if you know these places well, perhaps you could recommend out-of-the-way restaurants frequented by locals that we shouldn't miss, or interesting things to see and do we may not be aware of, or any other tips you think might be useful to novice travelers to Deutschland.

Danke!

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
27-04-2013, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 12:14 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Travel tips for Germany?
(27-04-2013 11:34 AM)cufflink Wrote:  The Mr. and I will be spending most of May in Europe. The itinerary is:

BELGIUM: Bruges
GERMANY: Cologne, Berlin, Bayreuth, Munich
FRANCE: Mulhouse, Troyes, Paris

It's mostly for pleasure, although we'll be attending a conference in Berlin. I've been to Bruges before, and we know Paris, where we have friends. But Germany will be a first for both of us.

So . . . does anyone have suggestions regarding our German destinations? Arrangements for accommodations are already in place, and all travel within the country will be by rail. Of course we have guidebooks, but if you know these places well, perhaps you could recommend out-of-the-way restaurants frequented by locals that we shouldn't miss, or interesting things to see and do we may not be aware of, or any other tips you think might be useful to novice travelers to Deutschland.

Danke!

Stop for a big service or concert at the Cologne Cathedral. You'll love the music there !!! (You also be in the church where Bucky and his little bro played superball up and down the main isle, from the balcony. ) Tongue
Haven't played the organ there, but maybe next time. Joseph Kronsteiner, is dead now, (I assume), but he was the friend of a friend. He was the director there, and an amazing composer and musician. He wrote stuff based on very melodic Austrian carols, and folk thingies. If they have CD's of him there, I'll pay you to pick up some.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
27-04-2013, 12:25 PM
Bayreuth... Consider I think they have a music festival there but since it's mostly to showcase that conceited whore Wagner, I have no idea when it is. Pretty city, though.

Your trip sounds fantastic but, only one month? Confused That doesn't seem like nearly enough time.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful adventure so, remember to take tons of photos to post! I think we need a Travels thread - and your account can be the first!

Forum rules; pics or it didn't happen. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
27-04-2013, 01:29 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 01:33 PM by Vosur.)
In addition to what Bucky Ball said, I'd recommend you to use this unique opportunity to check out one of the hundreds of castles in Germany. Some of them are more than 1000 yeas old. Thumbsup

Unfortunately, I can't give you any personal recommendations because I've only been to those in Hessen.

What I can do, however, is referring you to these compilations of castles, all of which are located in the states which you plan to visit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cas...Westphalia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cas...randenburg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_castles_in_Bavaria

Judging by your traveling plan, I suppose there won't be a chance for me to meet you in person. Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
27-04-2013, 02:01 PM
BUCKY: The Bucky Bros. Memorial Cathedral is definitely on the list. Big Grin If I find any Kronsteiner CDs there, I'll pick you up a couple.

KIM: Yup, we're going to Bayreuth because of Wagner. (Plus it'll break up the long trip from Berlin to Munich.) Wagner was a horrible human being . . . and he wrote some of the world's greatest music. It's a fact of life: sometimes awful people create immortal art. I'm a Ringhead--seen 3 complete cycles so far live, plus more on CD, DVD, "Live in HD from the Met" . . . There won't be any performances on, as far as I know, but we'll get to see the Festspielhaus, which I've heard about all my life.

The trip won't even be a whole month, just a bit over three weeks. Wish it could be longer, but it's kind of breaking the bank as it is. Still, you only turn 75 once. (Not me, my other half.)

Rest assured we'll take plenty of pics. Smile

VOSUR: Thanks for the links! While in Munich, we're planning on a day trip to Schloss Neuschwanstein. I've got to see what Mad Ludwig built! I'll check out some of the other possibilities as well.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
27-04-2013, 02:21 PM (This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 02:27 PM by kim.)
(27-04-2013 02:01 PM)cufflink Wrote:  It's a fact of life: sometimes awful people create immortal art.
Sad but true; even I have to admit I actually like Parsifal and wouldn't mind experiencing it on the famous Festspielhaus stage. Just touring it would be astounding to me - I understand the acoustics are insanely impeccable.

Ooh... Schloss Neuschwanstein... now THAT is another place I'd love to tour!! The mechanical things he had built there are really kind of incredible!

Dang, too bad you can't figure out some way to make the trip longer. If it were me... I probably wouldn't be making a return flight until ... ever! Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
27-04-2013, 02:38 PM
(27-04-2013 11:34 AM)cufflink Wrote:  any other tips you think might be useful to novice travelers to Deutschland.

Based on my experience with Germans on the Camino, they tend to be pretty cool and fun once they've chugged a couple of beers...Clap Banana_zorro
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist_pilgrim's post
27-04-2013, 02:56 PM
(27-04-2013 02:38 PM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  
(27-04-2013 11:34 AM)cufflink Wrote:  any other tips you think might be useful to novice travelers to Deutschland.

Based on my experience with Germans on the Camino, they tend to be pretty cool and fun once they've chugged a couple of beers...Clap Banana_zorro

I'm definitely looking forward to chugging some right along with 'em. Big Grin

27-04-2013, 03:33 PM
Be sure to have a hot dog in Franfurt, a hamburger in Hamburg, and a jelly donut in Berlin!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
27-04-2013, 03:43 PM
(27-04-2013 03:33 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Be sure to have a hot dog in Franfurt, a hamburger in Hamburg, and a jelly donut in Berlin!

Ah, that's right! I had forgotten about the jelly donuts.

So the question is, did JFK actually call himself a jelly donut during that famous speech in Berlin? I always thought he did, but apparently it's a misconception:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ich_bin_ein_Berliner

(See the section: Jelly doughnut misconception)

Vosur, was sagen Sie?