Travelling to Spain

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2014, 08:06 AM
Travelling to Spain
It's likely I'll be in Madrid in a week or two for a short stay. It won't be my first trip, but will hopefully be my last for a while (I have around 24-hours of economy travel time ahead of me in each direction, yay!). I'll likely have a weekend free.

What should I see and what should I eat that I might have missed the first time around?

I have seen:
- The palace and surrounding areas
- The Prado
- Enough cathedrals for a lifetime, I think
- Segovia (I would be happy to go back there)
- Avila

But I don't really travel to see. I travel to eat, and occasionally to meet up with people. What should I eat while in Spain? Smile

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2014, 08:20 AM
RE: Travelling to Spain
Sigh!

The girls of the Bravo Murillo

Blush

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
01-05-2014, 08:47 AM
As for food, I have little to say as I don't find anything they have there particularly remarkable -- you've probably gone for a round of tapas if you've been to Spain before and once you've seen a few of them you've seen them all, and they're not bad, just unremarkable. Maybe some avid culinarist can help you better with this one.

But since you didn't list Toledo (about an hour away by bus/train from Madrid) as a place you've been to, I'd highly recommend that, especially if you happen to travel with a lady, it's one of the most aesthetically pleasing sights I've encountered anywhere, but it's also a frequent destination of Spaniards themselves, so it can get crammed during local holidays. It's most convenient if you can spend the night there (the lighting's great once dark!) but I'd say that even just spending the day there is well worth it.

Τί ἐστιν ἀλήθεια?
01-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Well, you already have been to Segovia and Avila, two of my three favorite places; the other one is the Alhambra but that is far from Madrid. Nearby Madrid is El Escorial http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Escorial, historical residence of the King of Spain.

I wasn't taken by the food in Spain after Italy and France. You could always try a whole suckling pig though.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-05-2014, 03:41 PM
churros con chocolate

Especially the thick hot chocolate, yum.
01-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Try the drugs!

In central Europe we get them from the Netherlands, in Spain they grow most of their stuff themselves.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
19-05-2014, 07:43 AM
Confirmation came through today that I'm on my way to Madrid for a few weeks. I'll have a couple of weekends to spare under the revised plan but haven't quite figured out what I plan on doing in my spare time as yet. I'll be travelling by myself this time which will pretty depressing, I expect Smile

I'm mostly going over there to be yelled at for making changes to a product the team over there developed, and to try to find some sort of compromise position where my changes can be merged into their product or otherwise dealt with. Oh, well. They're paying for business class. I can't complain too much.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
27-05-2014, 03:29 AM
In in the Emirates lounge awaiting boarding. A light meal is in my belly and I'm downing my second James squire nine tales for the evening. In a few minutes I step onto the World's largest passenger aircraft and in 15 hours I'll be in a similar but larger lounge in Dubai airport. I have flown economy class in the Boeing A380 before but this will be my first business class jaunt. After a three hour lay over I'll begin my eight hour onward journey to reach my hotel in Puerto del sol around midnight tomorrow my time. My travel time will amount to around 32 hours each way, but I'm going in style.

10-06-2014, 11:35 AM
... and I´m on my way home. I´m sitting in the pay lounge here because Emirates do not have their own in Madrid. It´s a bit sad and spare. Let me wallow in my business class misery. I´m here for another three hours then 8 hours overnight to Dubai where they know what an airport lounge should be. Then 14 hours home from there.

It´s about 7pm here on Tuesday, Madrid time. I should be back at home around 7am Thursday Brisbane time.

10-06-2014, 11:38 AM
Antipodes are the only reason I'd ever go to Spain so I could make an Earth sandwich with someone I know here in NZ for the lolz.

[Image: oscar.png]