Tree falls and no ones is there = no sound.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-02-2014, 12:03 AM
RE: Tree falls and no ones is there = no sound.
What if a tree falls in a forest, and only a deaf person is there with a recording device ?
Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
28-02-2014, 12:28 AM
(28-02-2014 12:03 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  What if a tree falls in a forest, and only a deaf person is there with a recording device ?
Weeping

...then hopefully the deaf person is not standing near the falling tree, looking in the opposite direction.

If a deaf person squishes in a forest, does it make a sound? We'll have to play back the recording and see.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
[+] 2 users Like toadaly's post
28-02-2014, 04:57 AM
(28-02-2014 12:00 AM)toadaly Wrote:  Schroedinger's tree lives in a quantum superposition of having fallen and not having fallen. It has superimposed sound and silence.

...so if anyone ever asks you about the sound of silence, just answer "Schroedinger's tree", smugly smile, and walk away.

Except that trees are not quantum particles^^
28-02-2014, 05:45 AM
(28-02-2014 04:57 AM)donotwant Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 12:00 AM)toadaly Wrote:  Schroedinger's tree lives in a quantum superposition of having fallen and not having fallen. It has superimposed sound and silence.

...so if anyone ever asks you about the sound of silence, just answer "Schroedinger's tree", smugly smile, and walk away.

They are made up of quantum particles, though. Smartass

[Image: giphy.gif]
28-02-2014, 10:43 AM
(28-02-2014 05:45 AM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 04:57 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Except that trees are not quantum particles^^

They are made up of quantum particles, though. Smartass

Quantum particles can jump in and out of existence. Trees however^^
28-02-2014, 12:01 PM
(28-02-2014 04:57 AM)donotwant Wrote:  

Schroedinger's tree has a bomb implanted in it's roots, that is triggered if the detector watching for a single quantum event goes off.

[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
28-02-2014, 12:05 PM
(28-02-2014 12:01 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 04:57 AM)donotwant Wrote:  Except that trees are not quantum particles^^

Schroedinger's tree has a bomb implanted in it's roots, that is triggered if the detector watching for a single quantum event goes off.

And we don't know if it went off or not?
Or it went off and tree fell?
01-03-2014, 02:02 AM
(28-02-2014 12:05 PM)donotwant Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 12:01 PM)toadaly Wrote:  Schroedinger's tree has a bomb implanted in it's roots, that is triggered if the detector watching for a single quantum event goes off.

And we don't know if it went off or not?

I hope I wasn't too obscure - but in hindsite, I probably was. Google "Schroedinger's cat". I just substituted a tree for the cat for a bit of fun.

01-03-2014, 02:15 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2014 04:04 AM by donotwant.)
(01-03-2014 02:02 AM)toadaly Wrote:  
(28-02-2014 12:05 PM)donotwant Wrote:  And we don't know if it went off or not?

I hope I wasn't too obscure - but in hindsite, I probably was. Google "Schroedinger's cat". I just substituted a tree for the cat for a bit of fun.

And tree is not in a transitional state. Tree is either fell or it did not but we don't know which one of the two before we go to the forest and take a look.
Maybe right now a tree fell in some forest and nobody knows about it. Doesn't change the fact that it fell.
02-03-2014, 09:27 AM

But did if fall/not fall on his cat? That's the question.