Trending now: the religious "nones"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2015, 07:42 PM
Trending now: the religious "nones"
Atheism has suddenly got the attention of the mainstream press. We're #2!

Today's Meet the Press (5/17/2015) called out some statistics on reported religious affiliation. The unaffiliated have made amazing gains in the past 7 years.
Whether this is real growth in nonbelief, or just better counting, it's a good thing.

"The Pew Research Center reported that the number of Americans who are not affiliated with any religion rose almost seven points from 2007 to 2014"

"These are self-described atheist agnostics, and those who have no firm affiliation at all, the religious 'nones' as Pew is calling them. And they now make up almost a quarter of the population. By the way, that's about equal to the catholic population in this country."

"...the number of Americans who identify with major religions, Catholics, evangelicals, Jews, et cetera, other protestant groups, they have declined. The religious 'none' category is now ranked second in religious self-identification, after evangelicals. Seven years ago, they ranked at the very bottom of this list."

A transcript of the show is available here:
http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/me...15-n360261
Search that page for the phrase "NerdScreen time" to find the above quotes.
(The NerdScreen is an MTP segment where they talk about new statistics.)

Original Pew demographic study, America's Changing Religious Landscape:
http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/ameri...landscape/

A reminder to all of you in the atheist community:
Fill out those Pew, Census, etc. surveys whenever you have the chance. Stand up and be counted.

Enjoy.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like AtheosTempelis's post
17-05-2015, 07:45 PM
RE: Trending now: the religious "nones"
When atheist becomes really mainsteam -- I'm going to convert.....

Although I'm not sure what I can convert to, that'd give me even more free time.....

It's a fucking quandary....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-05-2015, 07:52 PM
I'll be happy when no one thinks to ask anymore.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
17-05-2015, 08:02 PM
I attend a local atheist service a couple times a week.

Most people call it a bar.
[+] 10 users Like Fodder_From_The_Truth's post
17-05-2015, 08:41 PM
All the christians gotta do is crucify someone every 2000 years and add more to the book.

When your audience only reads one book in 2000 years, it's a safe bet you've got them hooked.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
17-05-2015, 09:08 PM
Not trending fast enough, imo.
17-05-2015, 10:40 PM
(17-05-2015 07:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  When atheist becomes really mainsteam -- I'm going to convert.....

Although I'm not sure what I can convert to, that'd give me even more free time.....

Convert to Shroedinger's Faith.

Every religion is simultaneously true and not-true, and will remain so as long as you are non-observant. Of course, if you actually start observing any commandments or holidays, the manifold will collapse into definitive state of either true or false, with false being far more likely than true. Therefore, each faith is best defended by remaining completely ignorant of it and not interacting with it in the slightest.
[+] 8 users Like Reltzik's post
18-05-2015, 12:58 AM
(17-05-2015 07:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  When atheist becomes really mainsteam -- I'm going to convert.....

you could convert to Otaku-ism Laugh out load
18-05-2015, 04:26 AM
The word "trending" needs to die. One of my least favorite media buzz words.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
[+] 3 users Like cactus's post
18-05-2015, 05:50 AM
It's the first baby step in coming out for many, many closeted atheists - checking a box on a survey.

I think there are many more closeted folks than we think. I never meet open atheists my age in real life, but when I steer the conversation to that topic, many will profess not to believe in religion. The word atheist is still scary.

This is actually very important - the more come out and check an appropriate box, the more will see it and do the same. This news will embolden people. I see it a a HUGE win for us.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post