Trending now: the religious "nones"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-05-2015, 11:21 AM
RE: Trending now: the religious "nones"
(18-05-2015 05:50 AM)Dom Wrote:  I think there are many more closeted folks than we think. I never meet open atheists my age in real life, but when I steer the conversation to that topic, many will profess not to believe in religion. The word atheist is still scary.

This is very true. Also, note that these surveys show how people self identify. So, you'll frequently get a much higher number of people who identify as agnostic instead of atheist, despite the fact that they're probably the exact same thing for purposes of the survey (people who don't believe in any gods).

More people, still, will just say "none" for their religion, although that still leaves wiggle room for deists or people who believe in a Christian-flavored god that isn't YHWH. I'm not going to go so far as to say that all of the "nones" are also atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
18-05-2015, 02:37 PM
They certainly broke the unaffiliated down way more than what this article on the same study did recently.

Quote: As the ranks of the religiously unaffiliated continue to grow, they also describe themselves in increasingly secular terms. In 2007, 25% of the “nones” called themselves atheists or agnostics; 39% identified their religion as “nothing in particular” and also said that religion is “not too” or “not at all” important in their lives; and 36% identified their religion as “nothing in particular” while nevertheless saying that religion is either “very important” or “somewhat important” in their lives. The new survey finds that the atheist and agnostic share of the “nones” has grown to 31%. Those identifying as “nothing in particular” and describing religion as unimportant in their lives continue to account for 39% of all “nones.” But the share identifying as “nothing in particular” while also affirming that religion is either “very” or “somewhat” important to them has fallen to 30% of all “nones.”

From what this article seems to suggest is that the "nones" are overwhelmingly complacent or don't follow any religion. The other article in the link seems to have omitted the above breakdown and instead almost makes it look as if the "nones" are simply people migrating to evangelical churches. It almost makes it look like Christianity Today left an important piece of information out......I wonder why they would do that.......Consider

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
18-05-2015, 02:43 PM
What about "DONES"?
[+] 1 user Likes Hypatia's post
23-05-2015, 06:16 PM
Here's Psychology Today on the topic.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/our...s-dropping

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
23-05-2015, 08:36 PM
I think another promising change to mention, is the rise in women self identifying as atheist. I forget which podcast I was listening to (Rationally Speaking or TTA), but I remember the mention of a rise since 1997, when less than 20% of the movement was female, and now it's a nearly 50/50 split.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Cosmic Discourse's post
23-05-2015, 09:28 PM
(18-05-2015 06:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  PEW: RELIGIOUS ‘NONES’ TEND TO BE UNDEREDUCATED, POOR, WHITE MALES

Well, yeah, that could be true.

Sample size = 1 Blush

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
23-05-2015, 09:47 PM
(23-05-2015 06:16 PM)Dom Wrote:  Here's Psychology Today on the topic.

Interesting article.

It is obvious from this that Psychology Today is part of the conspiracy.

Drinking Beverage

23-05-2015, 10:33 PM

Interesting. I was a bit surprised though that for a psychology post, they really didn't address one of the other possible reasons why the "nones" are increasing: people are less afraid. I can speak to that part myself (as I am sure many on TTA can as well). A year ago, I was terrified of being honest with my loved ones. Now it's out there and I feel like I am in a much better place for it. Reading, podcasts, speeches, all gave me the courage to be myself and I am very grateful for that.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 4 users Like The Organic Chemist's post
23-05-2015, 11:40 PM
(23-05-2015 10:33 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  

Interesting. I was a bit surprised though that for a psychology post, they really didn't address one of the other possible reasons why the "nones" are increasing: people are less afraid. I can speak to that part myself (as I am sure many on TTA can as well). A year ago, I was terrified of being honest with my loved ones. Now it's out there and I feel like I am in a much better place for it. Reading, podcasts, speeches, all gave me the courage to be myself and I am very grateful for that.

Looking forward to the day I don't have to pretend anymore, but as of yet still too chickenshit to make the leap. Pray for me. Tongue

Being here helps. I'm close, but yet so far. It's encouraging to rub internet elbows with people that have turned that corner and have been bettered by it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
24-05-2015, 06:56 PM
I'd hope the undereducated element is true, it'd be nice to see it spreading to more reaches and still hitting that category of those non-college grads still. Showing more separation from certainty in belief without as well developed educational backgrounds. The white male thing is a still undesired element but it seems to still be a majority or high frequency of the range..

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson