Trending now: the religious "nones"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-05-2015, 07:00 PM
RE: Trending now: the religious "nones"
(18-05-2015 07:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-05-2015 06:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  PEW: RELIGIOUS ‘NONES’ TEND TO BE UNDEREDUCATED, POOR, WHITE MALES

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/...ite-males/

The Breitbart article appears to be bullshit. The Pew survey results show no such thing.

All Breitbart articles are.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2015, 06:30 AM
On a somewhat related note, I found this Catholic perspective on the apparently changing values interesting.

In a funk about the “New Atheism”

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
19-06-2015, 07:06 AM
^ "Maybe they’ll rethink when they’re older and facing their own mortality."

lol, or maybe not, because their conclusions about reality are not as easily influenced by their emotions as hers are. At least she's willing to expose herself to some actual atheist viewpoints, and genuinely wants to understand their mindset, instead of just hearing about it third-hand from her religious friends so she can feel better about herself.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
19-06-2015, 07:23 AM
(19-06-2015 07:06 AM)cactus Wrote:  ...
At least she's willing to expose herself to some actual atheist viewpoints,

Well she was there for an interview with the boys so it was in the line of duty but tbh, given her target audience, that was an OK introduction for the uninitiated.

Simplistic but not bad.

19-06-2015, 08:11 AM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2015 08:14 AM by CleverUsername.)
(19-06-2015 07:06 AM)cactus Wrote:  ^ "Maybe they’ll rethink when they’re older and facing their own mortality."

I love the implication that they'll rethink not because of legitimate points and evidence but because of a fear of death. Really lends credence to her position.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
19-06-2015, 08:13 AM
(19-06-2015 07:23 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(19-06-2015 07:06 AM)cactus Wrote:  ...
At least she's willing to expose herself to some actual atheist viewpoints,

Well she was there for an interview with the boys so it was in the line of duty but tbh, given her target audience, that was an OK introduction for the uninitiated.

Simplistic but not bad.

I was impressed with her writing. She's gonna be an atheist pretty soon, is my bet. That or go through some watered down woo on her way out.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-06-2015, 09:44 AM
(19-06-2015 07:06 AM)cactus Wrote:  ^ "Maybe they’ll rethink when they’re older and facing their own mortality."

lol, or maybe not, because their conclusions about reality are not as easily influenced by their emotions as hers are. At least she's willing to expose herself to some actual atheist viewpoints, and genuinely wants to understand their mindset, instead of just hearing about it third-hand from her religious friends so she can feel better about herself.

She goes on to say "Alas, Dennett is 73. Dawkins? He’s 74." so I think she recognizes that that isn't going to happen. If it was, it would have started already.

19-06-2015, 09:45 AM
(19-06-2015 08:13 AM)morondog Wrote:  I was impressed with her writing. She's gonna be an atheist pretty soon, is my bet. That or go through some watered down woo on her way out.

That was my general thought as well. It seems like she recognizes that she has no good argument to explain why people should believe. If Christians start talking to each other that way more it would be a good thing.

[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
19-06-2015, 12:08 PM
(19-06-2015 06:30 AM)unfogged Wrote:  On a somewhat related note, I found this Catholic perspective on the apparently changing values interesting.

In a funk about the “New Atheism”

I find the comments here quite interesting, different from the usual fare.

I come across the "atheists hate god, which proves that they believe in god" all the time.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post