Trial by (gay) stereotype

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-01-2013, 07:01 PM
RE: Trial by (gay) stereotype
(08-01-2013 06:39 PM)HailMeNow Wrote:  Just because we believe that being Gay is acceptable, it is purely a matter of opinion and we should allow these countries the right to also hold an opinion that they will now allow it! If they disagree with the law what is the fucking point in having the law there? These people live in a very christian country and I commend their leaders for sticking to their beliefs and not giving into the pressure of protestors!
So, whatever the leaders of a country say, it's all right?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Id be curious to see what they're laws are against homosexuality, and since I have no clue how their justice system works I'd be curious to see what their laws are when it comes to legal representation and all that.

(I think its horrible that this happened to them btw)

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
Find all posts by this user
08-01-2013, 07:51 PM
Morality is flexible, and subjective, but some things are almost universally considered immoral, and may be a reflection of some inherit human morality that all people how are properly functioning possess. Of course this is unprovable with our current technology, which we may never develop, but I think there is some credence to it. In any case, if you country deemed it appropriate for you family to be sold into slavery it wouldn't be wrong by your logic. You may be put to death for speaking should your leaders feel it is the right thing to do, and hence there is no right, nor wrong according to you. I suggest reflecting on that.

Morality is in large part a reflection of our culture, but I believe somethings are hardwired in us. There is evidence to support this claim, but as I said it is unprovable given our technology. You should look at some of the studies done in the soft sciences regarding this, especially the work being done in the U.S. and northern European countries, such as Switzerland, and Norway.

08-01-2013, 08:58 PM
(08-01-2013 07:08 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Id be curious to see what they're laws are against homosexuality, and since I have no clue how their justice system works I'd be curious to see what their laws are when it comes to legal representation and all that.

South Africa allows gay marriage.

Every other part of Africa has made it illegal with different punishments ranging from heavy fines to imprisonment for X amount of time, to heavy imprisonment (life), to hard labor, to death penalty.
OH and that's if the police get to you before the bigoted population do.

And it's not just a law and the people don't like it etc.. the people HATE homosexuality and not just the old, the young and even the college educated.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
08-01-2013, 09:01 PM
(08-01-2013 08:58 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 07:08 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Id be curious to see what they're laws are against homosexuality, and since I have no clue how their justice system works I'd be curious to see what their laws are when it comes to legal representation and all that.

South Africa allows gay marriage.

Every other part of Africa has made it illegal with different punishments ranging from heavy fines to imprisonment for X amount of time, to heavy imprisonment (life), to hard labor, to death penalty.
OH and that's if the police get to you before the bigoted population do.

And it's not just a law and the people don't like it etc.. the people HATE homosexuality and not just the old, the young and even the college educated.
Sad Breaks my heart that people cant get over this shit and just get along.

"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." Soren Kierkegaard
08-01-2013, 09:06 PM

I don't think it is "horrible". anything goes morally.
08-01-2013, 09:07 PM
(08-01-2013 07:51 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Morality is flexible, and subjective, but some things are almost universally considered immoral, and may be a reflection of some inherit human morality that all people how are properly functioning possess. Of course this is unprovable with our current technology, which we may never develop, but I think there is some credence to it. In any case, if you country deemed it appropriate for you family to be sold into slavery it wouldn't be wrong by your logic. You may be put to death for speaking should your leaders feel it is the right thing to do, and hence there is no right, nor wrong according to you. I suggest reflecting on that.

Morality is in large part a reflection of our culture, but I believe somethings are hardwired in us. There is evidence to support this claim, but as I said it is unprovable given our technology. You should look at some of the studies done in the soft sciences regarding this, especially the work being done in the U.S. and northern European countries, such as Switzerland, and Norway.
Anything goes morally. get that in your fucking thick skull...
08-01-2013, 09:42 PM
(08-01-2013 09:07 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  
(08-01-2013 07:51 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Morality is flexible, and subjective, but some things are almost universally considered immoral, and may be a reflection of some inherit human morality that all people how are properly functioning possess. Of course this is unprovable with our current technology, which we may never develop, but I think there is some credence to it. In any case, if you country deemed it appropriate for you family to be sold into slavery it wouldn't be wrong by your logic. You may be put to death for speaking should your leaders feel it is the right thing to do, and hence there is no right, nor wrong according to you. I suggest reflecting on that.

Anything goes morally. get that in your fucking thick skull...
No one here believes that, get that through your thick skull.

Morality has an evolutionary basis and is collectively determined.

Your thinking is likely to get you killed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2013, 07:34 AM
(08-01-2013 01:25 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  i don't fucking care.

As morals are subjective, we cannot say they are wholly wrong in acting as they do. You are all getting vexated about this "bad" act, I personally don't care that much. Your opinions as to how it's "bad" mean little in an absolute sense.

The only good Africans ever make is slaves anyhow.

How do you go from "morality is subjective" to "anything goes"? Morals do not exist in an isolated cube. They involve other people. Sure, some people think it's fine to kill gays, but I don't, and the gay people don't either.

To ignore something that bothers you because morality is subjective is to pretend you live in isolation from the rest of the world. Do you oppose rape? Well under your thinking, if someone is being raped you wouldn't do shit about it, because there is nothing absolutely wrong about it. That is irrelevant. You acknowledge that the rapist wants to rape, but you think it is wrong and you intervene. You don't let someone commit what you believe to be horrible crimes just because he has a different moral code than you. What then if someone tries to murder you? Are you to let him succeed because there is nothing inherently wrong about killing? Of course you fucking care. You fight back because you don't want to die.

How can you oppose something so horrible yet simply accept it? We don't live in bubbles and pretending we do means your morals mean jack shit. Morality is something we feel ourselves, but it applies to other people. If you oppose rape you don't want people to be raped. If you oppose imprisoning gays you don't want gays to be imprisoned.

If everyone agreed that morals only apply to ourselves, then no one would be imprisoning anyone. We'd be leaving each other alone. But throwing gays in jail is forcing one's morals on them. Either you also apply your morals outside of your mind, or you are opening the door for a one-sided conflict of "might means right".

Subjectivity does not mean "anything goes". Some of us care about other people. Some of us care about ourselves. So when we see injustice, we want to do something about it.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
09-01-2013, 08:09 AM
It's their culture and we are in no position to judge! We went and made war crimes by invading Iraq killing millions of innocent people but nobody cares because we're 'civilised nations' ...

I feel that the Camerronian government is being very lenient in this situation and they gay criminals should be thanking their leaders for not stoning them or hanging them, this is what usually happens in African countries and I sympathise with their leaders for having to compromise

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Literal Genesis Trial TrainWreck 9 530 29-03-2013 08:46 PM
Last Post: TrainWreck