Tricks you use to stay off the hooch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-09-2016, 03:45 AM
RE: Tricks you use to stay off the hooch
(15-09-2016 01:25 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  If all you're drinking is a glass of wine and/or a glass of Scotch a day I wouldn't change a thing. A small amount of alcohol does wonders for your HDL good cholesterol. I was drinking a liter of vodka a day. One week hooch free so far but now I think I might need to get tested for fluoride poisoning.

Hi GirlyMan,

I don't want to derail the thread to just about me - but confession time. I have never been honest with the docs about this stuff.

OK - In a week I drink about two bottles of wine and maybe a third of a bottle of single malt. I'm a 'one day on, one day off, drinker'. I can go a week to 10 days dry and then the hooch calls me. When our daughter was born I went on the wagon for 7 yrs, so that I would be 100% for her as a little one. Now I'm an empty nester and I don't have a big reason to go dry. As mentioned, I have health issues which make the days s*** anyway.

Your vodka intake was big, I'm sure you know that. I'd be interested to know how long that was happening. You can pm me if you like and maybe we could be a bit supportive each way? No pressure though.

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2016, 04:07 AM
I ended up drinking far too much as a student. But after a year of working industry, I took up martial arts and really got into it. I found that my desire to drink plummeted. I'd be full of energy and feeling quite active, and it felt good. But alcohol removed those feelings.

Another thing I found when drinking too much, was that often my body was wanting something else. Sometimes I'd find that drinking fruit juice or even just water was enough to dispel the desire to drink alcohol. My body had been craving something else instead.
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
15-09-2016, 04:54 AM
Tricks to stay on the Hitch, read "God Is Not Great".

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-09-2016, 07:02 AM
Think the drink through.
"If I have a drink, what happens next?"

For me, having a drink makes having another sound like a good idea. Dodgy

The feeling passes.

The busier and more active I am, the less the thought of a drink occurs, and when it does it is easier to just say "Naaa, not now".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
15-09-2016, 07:10 AM
(15-09-2016 04:07 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I ended up drinking far too much as a student. But after a year of working industry, I took up martial arts and really got into it. I found that my desire to drink plummeted. I'd be full of energy and feeling quite active, and it felt good. But alcohol removed those feelings.

Another thing I found when drinking too much, was that often my body was wanting something else. Sometimes I'd find that drinking fruit juice or even just water was enough to dispel the desire to drink alcohol. My body had been craving something else instead.

Alcohol has a lot of sugar in it. When we take away the booze, the body craves the sugar.
Keeping some candy or something sweet nearby can help.

I know you're diabetic, but a little candy can't be as bad as a big bottle of booze.
15-09-2016, 07:11 AM
(14-09-2016 10:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  So I'm recalling people talking about using rubber bands to snap themselves every time they felt the need for a cigarette and I'm thinking I need one of those every time I feel like a shot. So I came up with this one. Every time I feel like a shot there's a voice in my head which sounds exactly like Aunt Bee from the Andy Griffith Show asking "Would you like a nice cup of tea, dearie?" "Why yes, now that you mention it, yes I would."

You got tricks?

I don't keep alcohol in the house. When I buy wine or liquor I only by what I plan to drink that day. I've got it down it about 3 bottles of wine & a mickey (does anyone still use that term? if not it's 375ml) of whiskey a week mainly for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I only carry the money I need for that day, no debit or credit cards. Right now I only have $3.65 in my wallet for bus fare home. Tomorrow I'll only have $15.00 in my wallet, so I can only get either a bottle of wine or a mickey of whiskey on my way home.

I don't actually think I could stop drinking completely, which probably doesn't help you. Before I was married I drank too much too often, but I would always take one month out of every year and go dry, to prove to myself that I wasn't an alcoholic.

But the truth is if it's not in the house I 'm okay, if it is I'll drink until it's gone.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
7!
15-09-2016, 08:08 AM
(15-09-2016 07:11 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I don't actually think I could stop drinking completely, which probably doesn't help you. Before I was married I drank too much too often, but I would always take one month out of every year and go dry, to prove to myself that I wasn't an alcoholic.

But the truth is if it's not in the house I 'm okay, if it is I'll drink until it's gone.

If you have to prove to yourself that you're not an alcoholic, you're an alcoholic. Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
15-09-2016, 01:05 PM
(15-09-2016 08:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  If you have to prove to yourself that you're not an alcoholic, you're an alcoholic. Drinking Beverage

Chas,

My Dad was an alcoholic who had never had a drink.

D.
15-09-2016, 01:28 PM
(15-09-2016 01:05 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(15-09-2016 08:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  If you have to prove to yourself that you're not an alcoholic, you're an alcoholic. Drinking Beverage

Chas,

My Dad was an alcoholic who had never had a drink.

D.

And I would dispute that as nonsensical.

15-09-2016, 01:59 PM
(15-09-2016 08:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-09-2016 07:11 AM)unsapien Wrote:  I don't actually think I could stop drinking completely, which probably doesn't help you. Before I was married I drank too much too often, but I would always take one month out of every year and go dry, to prove to myself that I wasn't an alcoholic.

If you have to prove to yourself that you're not an alcoholic, you're an alcoholic. Drinking Beverage

Perhaps.

I've never had a person ever show me where the line was, to keep from crossing over it. So at one point in college, I decided to draw my own line.

I grew up in a family where alcohol was considered a fifth food group.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
7!
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post