Tricks you use to stay off the hooch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2016, 01:58 AM
RE: Tricks you use to stay off the hooch
(16-09-2016 01:43 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Anyway, I'm going to do a month off the Scotch and see how it goes. What would be good is a kind of 'members only' thread where we could be honest and supportive without an audience.

We don't have one of those, at least, not outside of forum admin and maintenance related things. We do have the Person Issues and Support section, which has it's own set of rules that separates it from the typical free-for-all present on the rest of the forum.

Code of Conduct for this Section
This section is a little different to the rest of the forum. Being provocative or insensitive in this section is prohibited. If people are talking about their personal issues and looking for support then they deserve that bit more protection than our other sections provide.

Anyone posting inappropriately will be warned by the Forum Team, should they fail to improve their conduct they will have their ability to post in this section removed at the discretion of the forum administration.

If you feel someone is posting inappropriately please either report their post using the 'report' button at the bottom right hand corner of each post, or PM a member of the Forum Team with your concerns.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-09-2016, 03:48 AM
(15-09-2016 09:27 PM)fairbecca Wrote:  It's not how much one drinks, or what type of alcohol one drinks that can be used to determine a drinking problem. Sounds odd, but hear me out. All a person must do is think about what happens to them when they stop drinking. Social drinkers or even heavy drinkers report being irritable and restless for a while, but soon are back on track. Their life improves and they are in control. This is not true for an alcoholic. When an alcoholic stops drinking the situation deteriorates rapidly into disaster. So, bottom line, if you want to quit and can then do so. Don't put it in your hand and it won't go in your mouth. If you sincerely want to quit, but find that you can't quit on your own then ask for help. It's that simple. Wish you well, Thanks.

I think I get what you're trying to say, but I don't think it's coming out right.

An alcoholic myself, I found that my situation improved greatly once I stopped drinking.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
16-09-2016, 03:53 AM
(16-09-2016 01:43 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(15-09-2016 10:37 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  If you don't mind my intruding -- you're on the road to addiction. You may not be there yet, you can still do ten days, but that's a bit of alcohol and your body will get used to it.

Anyone with drinking issues can feel free to PM me in confidence. I need support myself -- we all do! -- and I'm happy to give what support I can, as well.

Hi Thump,

A most welcome intrusion. Thanks for taking an interest.

There might be a few of us reading this thread who could do with sharing the load, although I can say from experience that it is darn hard to admit weakness in public, even on an anonymous forum.

Anyway, I'm going to do a month off the Scotch and see how it goes. What would be good is a kind of 'members only' thread where we could be honest and supportive without an audience.

I'll pm you.

D.

Support, too, is hard to give, but to paraphrase Lincoln (out of context), we either hang together or we hang separately. Whatever help I can render I will, feeble as it may be.
16-09-2016, 04:41 AM
(15-09-2016 10:33 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(15-09-2016 01:25 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  If all you're drinking is a glass of wine and/or a glass of Scotch a day I wouldn't change a thing. A small amount of alcohol does wonders for your HDL good cholesterol. I was drinking a liter of vodka a day. One week hooch free so far but now I think I might need to get tested for fluoride poisoning.

A big help for me in my recovery has been sparkling water. I'm a beer-drinker, so sparkling water replaces some of the sensation and keeps my hands doing the same thing they're used to doing. It's made things a lot easier for me.

As an added benefit, a twelve-pack only costs four bucks, not fifteen.

F, Scott Fitzgerald used Coke (as in the cola) as a booze substitute when he stopped drinking. I was thinking about posting that information on the thread, but the cure in that case seemed problematic with all the sugar and chemicals involved. I hadn't thought of sparkling water. Great tip.
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
16-09-2016, 06:04 AM (This post was last modified: 16-09-2016 06:10 AM by Chas.)
(16-09-2016 01:22 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(15-09-2016 01:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  And I would dispute that as nonsensical.

Chas,

There is no shortage of 'dispute' on the interweb. Smile

"An alcoholic who had never had a drink?"

Here is my reasoning. My grandfather on Dad's side was an alcoholic, and died of it. This resulted in much unhappiness and the downfall of a previously wealthy family line as a side effect.

My father was seriously affected by his unhappy childhood experiences and spent much of his life lecturing anyone within earshot about the evils of the 'demon drink'. The notion that any person could enjoy alcohol in moderation was a puzzle to him and particularly (now we get to my argument) that if he took even a single drop of alcohol he would end up like his own father.

My father believed devoutly that he was marked by some genetic weakness in relation to alcohol. He therefore believed (IMHO) that he was an 'alcoholic'.

D.

And what you describe is a belief, not a fact.

Having a family history od alcoholism appears to increase the likelihood of being alcoholic, so your father's fear was certainly rational.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-09-2016, 06:08 AM
(16-09-2016 03:53 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 01:43 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  Hi Thump,

A most welcome intrusion. Thanks for taking an interest.

There might be a few of us reading this thread who could do with sharing the load, although I can say from experience that it is darn hard to admit weakness in public, even on an anonymous forum.

Anyway, I'm going to do a month off the Scotch and see how it goes. What would be good is a kind of 'members only' thread where we could be honest and supportive without an audience.

I'll pm you.

D.

Support, too, is hard to give, but to paraphrase Lincoln (out of context), we either hang together or we hang separately. Whatever help I can render I will, feeble as it may be.

Franklin, not Lincoln.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
16-09-2016, 10:58 AM
(16-09-2016 06:08 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 03:53 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Support, too, is hard to give, but to paraphrase Lincoln (out of context), we either hang together or we hang separately. Whatever help I can render I will, feeble as it may be.

Franklin, not Lincoln.

Meh, I knew he was on a bill somewhere.
16-09-2016, 12:40 PM
(16-09-2016 04:41 AM)julep Wrote:  F, Scott Fitzgerald used Coke (as in the cola) as a booze substitute when he stopped drinking.

I'm pretty sure Coca-cola had cocaine in it during F.Scott's time so I could see how that could work. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
16-09-2016, 01:22 PM
It tastes vile, I don't know anyone drinks the shit to begin with.
It's pretty self-repellant.
16-09-2016, 02:44 PM
(16-09-2016 01:22 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It tastes vile, I don't know anyone drinks the shit to begin with.
It's pretty self-repellant.

You're not supposed to taste it silly. That's what they make chasers for.

#sigh