Tricks you use to stay off the hooch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2016, 03:25 PM
RE: Tricks you use to stay off the hooch
(16-09-2016 06:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  And what you describe is a belief, not a fact.

Chas,

https://xkcd.com/386/

D.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2016, 05:09 PM
(16-09-2016 03:25 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 06:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  And what you describe is a belief, not a fact.

Chas,

https://xkcd.com/386/

D.

[Image: GiveAshit.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
23-09-2016, 01:21 AM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2016 01:30 AM by Dworkin.)
(16-09-2016 06:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  Having a family history od alcoholism appears to increase the likelihood of being alcoholic, so your father's fear was certainly rational.

Chas,

IMHO your comments are correct.

Interestingly, my father had two brothers, one older and one younger. These guys didn't develop his obsession, drank alcohol socially and didn't talk about it.

I have one brother, and we have both enjoyed alcohol in moderate/reasonable quantities over our lives. I have been drinking now for 50 yrs and I'm not in a dumpster or hospital ward. My brother and I have both had successful careers and sired happy families.

When my father died I found 18 bottles of tranqs in his desk. I think he had some serious problems which he kept hidden from those close to him. Right at the end he did open up a little to me about the depression.

My conclusion is that a person with depression is wise to be careful with alcohol or any drugs. There is a vulnerability there, and from the little family information I've gleaned our grandfather was also likely a sufferer. Of course its in the past now, and we can never know for sure.

Thanks for your interest in a rather gloomy subject.

D.

PS - I like your stickman. Thumbsup
23-09-2016, 01:27 AM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2016 01:33 AM by Dworkin.)
Apologies mods.

I've double posted while trying to add an edit to my previous post. Wrong button?

D.
23-09-2016, 02:02 AM
My one "trick" when I want a smoke is my inner voice saying "You almost died from smoking, are you sure you want to smoke right now?" And then I am sure I don't want to smoke right now.

For me everything is always about having an actual good reason that qualifies in my head as a good reason. Because no matter what substance or drug you are addicted to, you take although you know that it's not good for you, so that is obviously not a good enough reason to stop it. So why do you really want to stop? If your reason is good enough, you won't need anything to take the place of that substance. For me the driving force is that I don't want to die, easy. Maybe for someone else it is pregnancy or another health issue or the sudden realization that it just doesn't do much for you anymore or the fact that it is very expensive... whatever it is - again - if the reason is important enough for you, you won't need tricks.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
23-09-2016, 07:22 AM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2016 07:25 AM by Chas.)
(23-09-2016 01:21 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(16-09-2016 06:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  Having a family history od alcoholism appears to increase the likelihood of being alcoholic, so your father's fear was certainly rational.

Chas,

IMHO your comments are correct.

Interestingly, my father had two brothers, one older and one younger. These guys didn't develop his obsession, drank alcohol socially and didn't talk about it.

I have one brother, and we have both enjoyed alcohol in moderate/reasonable quantities over our lives. I have been drinking now for 50 yrs and I'm not in a dumpster or hospital ward. My brother and I have both had successful careers and sired happy families.

When my father died I found 18 bottles of tranqs in his desk. I think he had some serious problems which he kept hidden from those close to him. Right at the end he did open up a little to me about the depression.

My conclusion is that a person with depression is wise to be careful with alcohol or any drugs. There is a vulnerability there, and from the little family information I've gleaned our grandfather was also likely a sufferer. Of course its in the past now, and we can never know for sure.

In my experience, many alcoholics and other addicts are self-medicating their depression or demons. The 'trick' is to address the underlying cause.

Quote:Thanks for your interest in a rather gloomy subject.

Not so gloomy. I enjoy talk of addiction and recovery - I am nearly 25 years sober.
I have my experience to share that might help someone.

Quote:PS - I like your stickman. Thumbsup

Thanks. Maybe he's a strawman. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-09-2016, 01:50 AM
(23-09-2016 07:22 AM)Chas Wrote:  I enjoy talk of addiction and recovery - I am nearly 25 years sober.

Noted.

D.
24-09-2016, 03:57 AM
When I was much younger, I used to be a piss-pot, particularly with workmates after knock-off.

Eventually, through some bizarre inner processes, my body "told" me to cut down—nausea, diarrhea, acid reflux, DUI, headaches... you name it. So I cut out the workplace binges, and only had the odd coldie at home. And then... that just stopped spontaneously, such that I don't consume alcohol at all now.

Sorry. That's not really a "trick" I guess, but it can happen as it did to me.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
24-09-2016, 04:05 AM
Synthetic alcohol
Not sure how I feel about this. The effect maxing out after 4-5 drinks is interesting.

Hangover-free alcohol

#sigh
24-09-2016, 09:13 AM
Less talk, more synthehol!