Tricks you use to stay off the hooch

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2016, 10:30 AM
RE: Tricks you use to stay off the hooch
Hi,

One way to stay of the hooch is music - classical music.

Put on the jazz and I'm reaching for scotch on the rocks, heavy glass, cool. Cool Wrinkle rock on the platter and I need a beer, and if in Amsterdam a toke. Hobo Reggae breaks out the rum .... and so it goes.

But classical music? Tea total. Drinking Beverage

D.

PS - This also works with world cinema, but slip in a crappy blockbuster and its wine and a blistering curry time. Drooling
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Day 15: woo hoo!

#sigh
[+] 8 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-10-2016, 01:58 PM
30 days booze-free. I have never been so fucking stoned in my life. Big Grin

#sigh
[+] 7 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-10-2016, 03:21 PM
(08-10-2016 01:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  30 days booze-free. I have never been so fucking stoned in my life. Big Grin

Keep up the good work! Thumbsup
08-10-2016, 05:02 PM
Not fair, Girly. I think I'd be golden if I could partake, but alas the current politics in charge of my employment aren't as hip as I'd like.

Actually, the owners are cool as shit, but unfortunately the lowest bidder in the insurance game requires random tests. Can't say I necessarily blame my boss for going there though. Business and shit.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
08-10-2016, 05:55 PM
(08-10-2016 05:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Not fair, Girly. I think I'd be golden if I could partake, but alas the current politics in charge of my employment aren't as hip as I'd like.

Actually, the owners are cool as shit, but unfortunately the lowest bidder in the insurance game requires random tests. Can't say I necessarily blame my boss for going there though. Business and shit.

Not to derail, but are you saying you can't drink at all, because your employer tests what you do on your own time? I didn't indulge at lunch (mainly because that's way early in the day, and I don't need to sleep at work No ), but what I do after work is no employer's business.
08-10-2016, 06:00 PM
(08-10-2016 01:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  30 days booze-free. I have never been so fucking stoned in my life. Big Grin

Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
08-10-2016, 07:04 PM
(08-10-2016 05:55 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(08-10-2016 05:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Not fair, Girly. I think I'd be golden if I could partake, but alas the current politics in charge of my employment aren't as hip as I'd like.

Not to derail, but are you saying you can't drink at all, because your employer tests what you do on your own time? I didn't indulge at lunch (mainly because that's way early in the day, and I don't need to sleep at work No ), but what I do after work is no employer's business.

No siree. I'd never drink on the job, I'm not that far gone yet. I took Girly's "stoned" comment to mean weed. I'm subject to random piss tests.

I know for a fact that I can get over my urges to drink if I can get high, but I can't take that risk if I'm responsible enough to keep my job. Which I am, I just can't stop drinking. If I'm real good, I can go during the week without a drop, but I'll make up for it on the weekend and then some.

I'm a very functional alcoholic, but I fear the day that I lose that control.

ETA: I'd never get high on the job either, I'm talking purely on my own time recreation.
08-10-2016, 07:20 PM
Heathen if you want to quit drinking you will.
That's how it worked for me anyway. The few people I know who went to mandatory inpatient treatment went right back to drinking if they were not already wanting to quit. My dad was ready, he quit.
He was on a huge load of alcohol when he went in. Daily, he would go to work sober, not drink at lunch, nothing. On the way home he stopped at a dive and they had 5 shots of well whiskey in a chimney waiting for him.
Repeat three times over 20 minutes.
This "took the edge off the day".
This 15 shot head start was only about 20 minutes from home. He could not wait.
He would drive home, park the car, and walk a block to the local dive and proceed to get drunk. Quit about midnight, walk home, repeat. His BAC must have been stupendous Sad
You, on the other hand, can go several days without drinking. Once you want to give it up, you can do it.
08-10-2016, 08:15 PM
(08-10-2016 07:20 PM)skyking Wrote:  Once you want to give it up, you can do it.

I'd like to think so. I recently quit smoking after 15 years of doing so. But I did it with a good substitute.

I'm not good at cold turkey and I know it, there's a viable solution for me to do so but it's too risky because of misinformation and stupid policy.

I can't blame my problems on anything but my own inadequacy, but when the solution is so close it seems like lunacy to me to keep it illegal while the source of my disease is celebrated and encouraged in popular culture.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post