Trip Report: Reason Rally II

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2016, 05:34 PM
It did not rain.

Due to flooding on the Metro we arrived late but were in time to see Shelly Segal who started about 10:15 rather than the scheduled 10:30.

I was accompanied by my daughter. We bought folding chairs and set up toward the back of the crowd. Unfortunately it was too far back to get any really good video even with the camera set at maximum zoom. Since I am still unfamiliar with the camera, despite having a couple of weeks to study the manual, I set it on automatic and hoped for the best. On manual I think I could have used digital zoom and gotten a better picture but ...

That afternoon my daughter went for sandwiches leaving me to watch our stuff. While she was gone I saw a person walking down the sidewalk. "That guy looks a lot like Hemant Metha," said I to myself. As he got closer I thought "He looks an awful lot like Hemant Metha!" Then he smiled. Hemant Metha has a very big and distinctive smile. "By golly that is Hemant Metha!" I scrambled for the camera but by the time I got it he was gone.

One speaker asked everyone who had attended Reason Rally I to clap. I'd say about half of the crowd clapped. Then he asked everyone who was a first timer to clap. The other half clapped. The he asked everyone who had come by plane to clap. I clapped, very few others did.

It had not rained as predicted but there was flooding of the Metro track near Arlington Cemetery which necessitated our switching from the Blue Line to Yellow Line and then back to the Blue Line, resulting in our late arrival. My flight from Columbus to D.C. was early Friday morning and my return was early Sunday morning.

After our lunch my daughter watched our stuff while I walked around. Two tents were set up and occupied by several organizations. Free stuff. I got a free American Atheists membership just for being there and signing up.

One group of three or four men where wearing T-shirts that said "Bible Thumping Wingnuts." Isn't that Matt Slick's group? One of them said to me "you should be skeptical of your skepticism" to which I replied "absolutely, I agree 100%"

I was wearing a red T-shirt that said "EVIL LITTLE THING." One man among a group of theists asked me what that meant and I told him about Jessica Ahlquist. That started a debate in which he maintained that Miss Ahlquist had no right to do what she did. I think I held my own in the debate. At one time he complained about my asking questions like "what is your evidence for that?" "Define fill-in-the-blank" and Christopher Hitchens' favorite "Name one!"

Seemed to me that there were very few theists walking around.

A lot of people liked my "EVIL LITTLE THING" T-shirt and asked to take my picture. One was a woman who said she knew Jessica personally.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like f stop's post
06-06-2016, 09:09 PM
RE: Trip Report: Reason Rally II
What a great experience! One day I'll go too Big Grin

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
07-06-2016, 08:24 PM
I really enjoyed it! For all the "faults" people didn't hesitate to point out, I thought the day went smoothly and got plenty of the atheist (and some other generally secular) messages across. A great day to be down in DC!

[Image: 07d73b868ec5b4d368534d4dc3964197.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
[+] 2 users Like Icextentialist's post
07-06-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm sorry, does that sign back there say "God doesn't believe in atheists"? What message, exactly, is that meant to get across? Like great, he doesn't believe in me, ergo I don't exist, ergo he can't send me to hell! Or he doesn't believe in me as in he's a bad father who has given up on his children? In which case, send a sign! ..no? No sign? Oh just the actual sign you're holding. Yeah.....I'm just gonna keep being an atheist.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
[+] 3 users Like Colourcraze's post
07-06-2016, 09:57 PM
(06-06-2016 05:34 PM)f stop Wrote:  It did not rain.

Due to flooding on the Metro we arrived late but were in time to see Shelly Segal who started about 10:15 rather than the scheduled 10:30.

I was accompanied by my daughter. We bought folding chairs and set up toward the back of the crowd. Unfortunately it was too far back to get any really good video even with the camera set at maximum zoom. Since I am still unfamiliar with the camera, despite having a couple of weeks to study the manual, I set it on automatic and hoped for the best. On manual I think I could have used digital zoom and gotten a better picture but ...

That afternoon my daughter went for sandwiches leaving me to watch our stuff. While she was gone I saw a person walking down the sidewalk. "That guy looks a lot like Hemant Metha," said I to myself. As he got closer I thought "He looks an awful lot like Hemant Metha!" Then he smiled. Hemant Metha has a very big and distinctive smile. "By golly that is Hemant Metha!" I scrambled for the camera but by the time I got it he was gone.

One speaker asked everyone who had attended Reason Rally I to clap. I'd say about half of the crowd clapped. Then he asked everyone who was a first timer to clap. The other half clapped. The he asked everyone who had come by plane to clap. I clapped, very few others did.

It had not rained as predicted but there was flooding of the Metro track near Arlington Cemetery which necessitated our switching from the Blue Line to Yellow Line and then back to the Blue Line, resulting in our late arrival. My flight from Columbus to D.C. was early Friday morning and my return was early Sunday morning.

After our lunch my daughter watched our stuff while I walked around. Two tents were set up and occupied by several organizations. Free stuff. I got a free American Atheists membership just for being there and signing up.

One group of three or four men where wearing T-shirts that said "Bible Thumping Wingnuts." Isn't that Matt Slick's group? One of them said to me "you should be skeptical of your skepticism" to which I replied "absolutely, I agree 100%"

I was wearing a red T-shirt that said "EVIL LITTLE THING." One man among a group of theists asked me what that meant and I told him about Jessica Ahlquist. That started a debate in which he maintained that Miss Ahlquist had no right to do what she did. I think I held my own in the debate. At one time he complained about my asking questions like "what is your evidence for that?" "Define fill-in-the-blank" and Christopher Hitchens' favorite "Name one!"

A lot of people liked my "EVIL LITTLE THING" T-shirt and asked to take my picture. One was a woman who said she knew Jessica personally.

You do realize you sound like a giddy 13 yo girl, right? Just checking.

#sigh
07-06-2016, 10:02 PM
(07-06-2016 09:57 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(06-06-2016 05:34 PM)f stop Wrote:  It did not rain.

You do realize you sound like a giddy 13 yo girl, right? Just checking.

sounds like mission accomplished Big Grin
08-06-2016, 09:28 AM
(07-06-2016 10:02 PM)skyking Wrote:  sounds like mission accomplished Big Grin

Dude. Don't say that. Don't EVER say that.

[Image: th?id=OIP.M44860c9b8dfbe023b1b46a82bba64...;amp;h=300]

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
08-06-2016, 09:31 AM
Sounds like a great time.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

08-06-2016, 10:00 AM
I only saw one person with the evil little thing t-shirt at the rally so maybe that was you f-stop. My t-shirt had the Sam Harris quote on the back "I know of no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too desirous of evidence in support of their core beliefs". A friend I was with, informed me that lot's of people were taking pictures of it. I didn't see Hemant, but I did see Seth walking by. He was talking with someone, so I didn't disrupt him. I also saw Anthony Magnabosco with whom I assume were his wife and kids.
08-06-2016, 12:21 PM
(08-06-2016 09:28 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  
(07-06-2016 10:02 PM)skyking Wrote:  sounds like mission accomplished Big Grin

Dude. Don't say that. Don't EVER say that.

[Image: th?id=OIP.M44860c9b8dfbe023b1b46a82bba64...;amp;h=300]

I had purged that image from my mind. GW can't own that phrase, I forbid it.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post