Tripping my trigger.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Tripping my trigger.
I am new to this forum and have found it great for sharing and finding new information. This is the first forum I've actively participated in and have found it quite therapeutic. However, I sometimes seem to have a short fuse when it comes to hardcore religionists. I can only listen to/ read so much smug, self righteous, dumbass BS before I let loose and tell what I really think of their belief system. (You may have noticed in some of my posts.) Evil_monster
Has anyone else had this problem? Does it ease up over time?

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2013, 10:37 PM
RE: Tripping my trigger.
(01-09-2013 10:28 PM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  I am new to this forum and have found it great for sharing and finding new information. This is the first forum I've actively participated in and have found it quite therapeutic. However, I sometimes seem to have a short fuse when it comes to hardcore religionists. I can only listen to/ read so much smug, self righteous, dumbass BS before I let loose and tell what I really think of their belief system. (You may have noticed in some of my posts.) Evil_monster
Has anyone else had this problem? Does it ease up over time?

Yes and yes. I'm just now getting to the point to where I can ease back, try to have some perspective and let idiots be idiots. I'm still not the most adept at being gracious, but I think the Mark Dreher thread is doing wonders for me. Tongue

You gotta laugh at life and silly people sometimes. There have been countless times that I've written out a scathing response to some stupid shit and then at the end while proofreading decided, meh, it's not worth it. Delete. Makes me look like an asshole (I don't need help with that most times) and it's not going to change anyone's mind.

We've got Earmuffs and Buckyball to handle our dirty work around here. They don't pull no shit. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
01-09-2013, 10:51 PM
Dude,
These people need our love.

Big Grin

01-09-2013, 10:53 PM
(01-09-2013 10:37 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Makes me look like an asshole (I don't need help with that most times) and it's not going to change anyone's mind.

Thanks. I don't mind looking like an asshole (nor do I need the help) to someone who's pissed me off. But, I do wonder afterward what it looks like to people I respect.

01-09-2013, 10:55 PM
(01-09-2013 10:51 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Dude,
These people need our love.

Big Grin
Yeah... Wink

[+] 1 user Likes NoSkyDaddy's post
01-09-2013, 10:59 PM
(01-09-2013 10:53 PM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 10:37 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Makes me look like an asshole (I don't need help with that most times) and it's not going to change anyone's mind.

Thanks. I don't mind looking like an asshole (nor do I need the help) to someone who's pissed me off. But, I do wonder afterward what it looks like to people I respect.

And you respect people here?
Shocking

Have you met us?
Tongue

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
01-09-2013, 11:00 PM
(01-09-2013 10:53 PM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  

That's what I'm sayin....

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
02-09-2013, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 02:24 PM by GirlyMan.)
Goddamit, here I was looking for viddies of horses tripping on acid.

(01-09-2013 10:28 PM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  Has anyone else had this problem? Does it ease up over time?

Yes, and it fades and disappears quickly 'cause it don't mean dick. Not worth my bother. I really couldn't give less of a shit about anybody else's belief system. Really. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-09-2013, 01:09 AM
In my case it eased over time. Religion usually only plays a very small role in my life, if any. I am not the militant type, but if I am challanged I defend my position. I generally don't fuck with religion until religion starts fucking with me. Mostly political bs. Occasionally a case will arise within my family or something, but that's about it. When I was in high school I was so fed up with holier than art bullshit that I actively sought to irritate and offend religious nuts, but that seems like a lifetime ago now. Good luck!