Poll: Do you think the Trojan horse story is true ?
YES
NO
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Trojan horse myth, do you believe ? Y/N

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2013, 07:03 AM
Trojan horse myth, do you believe ? Y/N
In secondary school my history teacher explained the Trojan horse story as a myth born of Poems inspired by tales of elaborate battering ram canopies.

I took this as fact at the time (still do), so unlike the Bible I did not have to debunk it.

However I've yet to meet anyone skeptic of it.
seems its become as real as the Bible to most people.

i would assume everyone here would not believe or at least only give it a small % of credibility.
Will find out I guess.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2013, 07:23 AM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2013 07:35 AM by grizzlysnake.)
RE: Trojan horse myth, do you believe ? Y/N
(28-10-2013 07:03 AM)sporehux Wrote:  In secondary school my history teacher explained the Trojan horse story as a myth born of Poems inspired by tales of elaborate battering ram canopies.

I took this as fact at the time (still do), so unlike the Bible I did not have to debunk it.

i would assume everyone here would not believe or at least only give it a small % of credibility.
Will find out I guess.
Well, they did find the lost city of troy and evidence of it burning. They also saw that Troy was very fond of horses, but if there was actually a giant wooden horse that is inconclusive. It might of just went up in flames like the city, anyones guess. Now if you were saying that your teacher said it was a battering ram..it was never purposed for such. It was an offering to bring into the city with soldiers inside and not used to destroy the gates.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
28-10-2013, 07:36 AM
(28-10-2013 07:23 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 07:03 AM)sporehux Wrote:  In secondary school my history teacher explained the Trojan horse story as a myth born of Poems inspired by tales of elaborate battering ram canopies.

Will find out I guess.
Well, they did find the lost city of troy and evidence of it burning. They also saw that Troy was very fond of horses, but if there was actually a giant wooden horse that is inconclusive. It might of just went up in flames like the city, anyones guess. Now if you were saying that your teacher said it was a battering ram..it was never purposed for such. It was an offering to bring into the city and not used to destroy the gates.

I'm saying that the story of the offering was a Poem (fiction), :
Probable scenario was: the giant battering ram breached the gates/wall, the "horse" continued inside and Greeks spewed out of it , plus the rest of the army coming through the opening sacked the city.
Post battle the horse sat in the courtyard inspiring the tall tales of deception.

28-10-2013, 07:57 AM
(28-10-2013 07:36 AM)sporehux Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 07:23 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Well, they did find the lost city of troy and evidence of it burning. They also saw that Troy was very fond of horses, but if there was actually a giant wooden horse that is inconclusive. It might of just went up in flames like the city, anyones guess. Now if you were saying that your teacher said it was a battering ram..it was never purposed for such. It was an offering to bring into the city and not used to destroy the gates.

I'm saying that the story of the offering was a Poem (fiction), :
Probable scenario was: the giant battering ram breached the gates/wall, the "horse" continued inside and Greeks spewed out of it , plus the rest of the army coming through the opening sacked the city.
Post battle the horse sat in the courtyard inspiring the tall tales of deception.
Not familiar with that take. Now if the walls were damaged, would the soldiers think it was actually a deception?

28-10-2013, 08:03 AM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2013 08:09 AM by sporehux.)
(28-10-2013 07:57 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  Not familiar with that take. Now if the walls were damaged, would the soldiers think it was actually a deception?

Post sacking, an observer sees a big ass horse in the courtyard and city fucked up.
Chinese whispers 100 people later mixed with other accounts of the battle/previous battles and exaggerations = Trojan Horse Story.

Defectors could have opened the gates if they deemed the sacking inevitable.
they would have needed the shelter of the canopy to enter while arrows and shit rained down.

Not saying im positive, but My OccamOmeter tells me its
more likely a made up tale.

28-10-2013, 11:19 AM
Maybe a smaller horse with only one soldier inside, that's enough to open a gate or set something on fire.

I never thought of it as real though, never cared to debunk it either.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
28-10-2013, 11:43 AM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2013 11:52 AM by sporehux.)
Its an analogue to bible fables. Fictional stories made factual over time.
Wouldn't it be reasonable to expect more guards on the gate controls than what could remain undetected in a wooden horse.
Why would the trojans be so oblivious to subterfuge when they were a warlike nation.
Also they decided not to keep lookouts that night and a whole army snuck up to the gate,

Its hypocritical to demand proof of other mythological stories. But accept the trojan horse hidden greeks story as fact because its a cool tale and you'd prefer it to be true.

28-10-2013, 12:00 PM
(28-10-2013 11:43 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Its an analogue to bible fables. Fictional stories made factual over time.
Wouldn't it be reasonable to expect more guards on the gate controls than what could remain undetected in a wooden horse.
Why would the trojans be so oblivious to subterfuge when they were a warlike nation.
Also they decided not to keep lookouts that night and a whole army snuck up to the gate,
Well they took it as a gift, an admission of defeat the invaders were nowhere to be seen all the ships gone. They let their guard down and then attacks from within and also opening the gates from the inside. Its really a tale of how smart odessius was to plan a way in since from the outside the walls were impenetrable.

28-10-2013, 12:36 PM
(28-10-2013 12:00 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 11:43 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Its an analogue to bible fables. Fictional stories made factual over time.
Well they took it as a gift, an admission of defeat the invaders were nowhere to be seen all the ships gone. They let their guard down and then attacks from within and also opening the gates from the inside. Its really a tale of how smart odessius was to plan a way in since from the outside the walls were impenetrable.

Actually it was thought to be the Greek Armies offering to Poseidon for safe passage back to the Greek homelands. The Trojans took the horse inside their gates so they could steal the gift and offer it to the Gods themselves.

As to whether this actually happened or is just a myth is hard to say. Probably based on something and then added to over time. Could a covert team open a gate? Maybe, but as we only have the one account of the events and it is an exaggerated account it is impossible to say one way or the other.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
30-10-2013, 12:10 AM
With a lot of these sorts of legends, there can be a kernel of truth that's been distorted by mistranslation, misunderstanding etc...

But a big wooden horse... Nah.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user