Troll Spotting 101

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2017, 01:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2017 01:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
Troll Spotting 101
How do you do it? For me it's kinda like chick sexing, I'm pretty good at it but I couldn't tell you how to do it. It's like they have a signature that I can't describe but has an unmistakable style, a certain je ne sais quoi. I figured since some of them Amazons running around asserting dominance over the menfolk have been on forums for like 20+ years, they might know an indicator or 2. I'll try to start.

1) smarmy - I hadn't thought of that word for decades before coming here, but that's probably the best word I can think of for many of them. The writing style gives it away.

2) provocative - the whole point of the troll is to provoke without the provokee realizing it, fortunately the majority of them really suck at nuance. (n.b. There are non-trolls among us who get a hardon from sticking the pig just to watch it squeal too, those are called dicks.)

3) pretending to be a non-English speaker - most of them really suck at this too.

What else?

There are always a few running around here. We got a couple now.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-03-2017, 01:30 PM
RE: Troll Spotting 101
4) contradicting lies that go completely unacknowledged

5) red herrings abound as a way of distracting from being called on any of the aforementioned traits/qualities

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
02-03-2017, 01:32 PM
(02-03-2017 01:30 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  4) contradicting lies that go completely unacknowledged

non-responsive. Good one.

(02-03-2017 01:30 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  5) red herrings abound as a way of distracting from being called on any of the aforementioned traits/qualities

deflection. Another good one.

Thumbsup

Edit: I just had this queasy feeling I am describing the President. Hobo

#sigh
[+] 8 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-03-2017, 01:33 PM
Plus:

manipulative

pitching people against each other

Sob story: "I'm so hurt" and righteous anger: "you're assholes" thrown about until your head spins

Besides, look at a thread and if the flies are buzzing it, it is reasonable to assume that it stinks. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 6 users Like Dom's post
02-03-2017, 01:37 PM
(02-03-2017 01:33 PM)Dom Wrote:  Besides, look at a thread and if the flies are buzzing it, it is reasonable to assume that it stinks. Tongue

the smell test - another good one, not always reliable but if you have to ask yourself "Am I being played?" you might be being played. This is like a general life rule.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
02-03-2017, 01:40 PM
5) Manipulative (Dom's pt)

6) Attempts to use other people's arguments against them, but uses straw men instead. Like tomato's attempts at asking for "scientific evidence of Julius Caesar" to try and argue for Jesus being real

-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
02-03-2017, 01:42 PM
(02-03-2017 01:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What else?

I would add gaslighting -- trying to convince people that they are not what they take themselves to be, that they are really horrible or obviously idiotic for thinking what they do. That technique usually provokes honest people into writing out all kinds of explanations which the troll can simply deny or ignore.

Speaking of which, we now have our first troll President.
[+] 5 users Like Thoreauvian's post
02-03-2017, 01:46 PM
ALSO ALL CAPS

TAKE ME SERIOUSLY BECAUSE ALL CAPS!!!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like ShadowProject's post
02-03-2017, 01:48 PM
7) Gaslighting

8) ALL FUCKING CAPS! FTW

9) Obfuscation. An attempt to hide a bullshit point in confusing and clouded descriptions. "Baffle them with bullshit"

-Rick
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
02-03-2017, 01:50 PM
Also, google their first post to see what the web may have for you.

For example, you can read the conversation here to see what's coming:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DebateAnAtheist...or_newbie/

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post