Troll influx

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-10-2012, 10:33 PM
RE: Troll influx
(24-10-2012 10:12 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Oh, I see you've seen Hughsie's face too.

Yep, he saw my face and was like 'wow'.

Then he realised that I'm way outta his league, so he got sad.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
24-10-2012, 10:42 PM
(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Just a heads up, it's gonna be a long one folks.

Quote:Nope. The only person who is responsible for your behavior is you. "it's on them how we behave"????? Really? I think you know that's not even remotely similar to the truth.

As for the "forums response"....I think on many occasions the forum responds, as a whole, quite inappropriately.

Come now son, basic science. Everything that has an action has an equal and opposite re-action.
I don't know what you're smoking (well.. I do.. but still) but let's keep this real here Stark. If someone comes on here bible bashing and throwing around verbal abuse then the forum is not going to act in a kind respectful manner in return.
It's like my year8 teacher use to always say "You have my respect, until you lose it".

Quote:1) If they are a Christian, I asked them 5 questions. The questions I ask are meant to probe their understanding and knowledge of their denomination. This also lets me know how much thought they have put into their Christianity. Moreover, it answers whether or not they are going to be honest when it comes to not knowing something. I use big words on purpose.

2) My questions are also meant to stimulate conversations - through this, I can gauge what type of person they are during a discussion. I can determine arrogance and pretentiousness, humility and intelligence; I can also determine - somewhat - what their intentions are.

3) I poke and prod a little further to see if I can passively push a few buttons. The intent of this is to see if I'm going to be able to engage in controversial topics in the future without this person flipping out on me.

This ain't trolling son.
Well, some people *cough*bemore and caffe*cough* would have you believe this is trolling, but calm your tits KC, you're far from "troll".

Quote: There is actually a fair amount of that going on here.

Exactly, we are only talking about a few people here. It's not like we never have theists that have rational (well.. you can't have a rational conversation with a theist.. better word might be civil) conversations with.

Quote:The drive-by preaching is just grating. Come on, post a Bible verse...add nothing to the conversation then leave...yeah, well they don't leave quickly enough.

Cha-ching.

Quote:For the ones that reappear over and over spewing the same crap...I get tense. If you watch you can see the ones that write the same no matter what name they are using. Some of these people (and I know not everyone has English as a primary language) are easily spotted because it appears they can't spell a damn thing, making them really look ignorant. They hit back over and over with their "we are all going to burn in hell" theme but don't have enough damn guts in their position/faith to answer a question or even try to explain what they are trying to say or why they believe what they do.

Exactly, trolls gonna troll.

Quote:I generally try to saw hello to new posters. Sometimes my spidey-senses immediately tell me to move on. A lot of times I find I am correct.

Yeah, when they learn that Seth doesn't post here they get out faster then homophobe in a daisy chain.

Quote: There are others that aren't defensive when asked questions but try to answer and explain why they think the way they do.

Whom we welcome with open arms. These are the people we want around, not the "I'm going to post 1 bible verse and never return" people.

Quote:As for the infighting - to your damn corners - Bemore***Muffs.

No thanks. I assume you are implying a boxing match. Mental illness associated with boxing due to repeat blows to the head is ridiculous. Because I value my brain not being bashed around in my head for nothing more then mindless entertainment I'm going to pass.

Quote:I haven't the authority to send anyone to the naughty chair.

Only Erx's mom has that authority.

Quote:My point still stands.

No it doesn't. Your picture was in relation to one person, it doesn't work for a group of people (of which you are included).

Quote:Hey, genius, mugging is anti-social behaviour.

Not if you do it with a friend.

Quote: Much like having a bunch of people who know each other immediately berate some 'outsider', while paying no attention or care to who the individual they're talking to is, outside of their theistic beliefs.

Son, this isn't Hello Kitty playground. This is an Atheist forum, if you come here and annoyance you're a theist, you're gonna get questions.

Quote:I see minimal effort made by the majority of members here, to socialize and get on with theists.

Because they make minimal effort. They discuss things we've discussed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

Quote:Thank you for your dedication to the cause of being the type of e-thug who has little-to-no constructive purpose within a community.

Oh come now. e-thug? Hardly. e-Robin Hood on the other hand... we might be getting a little closer.

Quote:Truly, you are gifted with the ability to read minds.

Are you slow? Yes, I just said this.

Quote:Are you also, by chance, omnipotent and all-knowing?

By chance? Well there is always a chance even if it's a ridiculously small number.
But technically, yes, by chance.

Quote:I wasn't just talking about people like The Theist. Did you miss that when you spewed the macho cliché: "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen"?

Don't you be hating the cliche. Just because it's extremely overused by Mr Gordon Ramsey doesn't mean I shouldn't have the option of using it.

How about a little less focus on my cliche's I choose to use and the actual topic at hand eh?

Quote:The reason I wrote my post was to suggest promoting the integration of theists into the community, before asking them questions.

Son, this isn't Barbe Goes Camping, this an internet forum.
"If you can't handle the heat, stay the fuck out of the god damn kitchen nigga".

Quote:That goes for all theists, even ones like The Theist.

So "special treatment" for theists?
You see Caffe, at least I treat everyone equally and don't single out a certain sub-section within society for "special treatment". I guess I'm just morally a better person then you.

Quote:I can't believe you actually wrote that.

What's so hard to believe? I wrote it, it's right there on your computer screen.
HuhHuh

Quote:Are you ill?

You'll have to be more specific.

Quote:They're responsible for our actions? Are you insinuating that we have no self control?

Ahhh no I'm not. Are you really that stupid to think I was insinuating that?

Quote:Verbal abuse may (in your mind) justify an abusive response

Witty or abusive. I'm not very good at the prior, we have DLJ for that, so the later is often chosen.
What's your point?

Quote:Yeah, that's the attitude I think we need to change.

Ha! Good luck with that son. They tried to change me saying nigger/nigga..
Needless to say it wasn't as successful as they'd've hoped.

Quote:Which of the following options do you think is going to help lead to a better discussion?

2 obviously. Said theist then leaves and someone better comes along.

Quote:What does the Vatican's stance on sex have to do with the existence or non-existence of a deity, or reason for belief in either position. I've never seen an "every day" Christian say, "the Vatican promotes abstinence-only education, therefore God". We're talking about theists who push theism, not theists who push abstinence-only education.

God damn, must I explain out everything I say letter by letter every single time I most a metaphor?

I'm not explaining this, you think get a pen and paper and figure it out for yourself.

Quote:Perhaps I missed the point.

Yip, just like the both quote. Missed the boat entirely.

Quote:You convey this attitude that theists and atheists shouldn't put any effort into being social, simply because it's easy for the theist to walk away.

I never said that TTA shouldn't be social. If a theist comes here and is polite and nice etc.. then by all means befirend the shit out of him.
But if he comes here and bible bashes and throws around verbal abuse then that isn't someone that we want in our circle.
It's not a hard concept to grasp, seriously.

Quote:If you don't like it, walk away (or, "block me")" isn't the attitude to take if you want to build a community which encourages establishing a positive relationship between theists and atheists.

Son, again, this isn't Hello Kitty playground.
Allow me to give you some life advice:
Some people are nice. Some people are cunts.
We don't want the later.

"But earmuffs you're being a cunt blah blah"

I'm a cunt to cunts. I'm not a cunt to nice people.
Cunts are cunts to everyone.
There is a difference. Learn it.

Quote: I dunno if you realise this, but relationships are built on compromise

It's a internet forum, not a fucking marriage!!
It's a circle of 'friends'. If you don't fit in, you don't fit in.

The circle shouldn't have to change to suit the needs of the new kid.
If the new kid is a cunt, then either he changes or he doesn't fit in and goes away.

I'm blown away by how hard this concept is for people to grasp. How is it that someone with SPD knows more about how groups of friends work then someone who wants to be MrFriend to everyone left right and center?

Quote:(a concept, I imagine, that makes you shudder by it's very mention, Mr Nigga McNiggs).

Which is why I have no interest in getting married.

Quote:Please, do let me know if I'm misinterpreting something here.

Oh don't worry, I will.

Quote:We're talking about the people who come here to troll? What? Exclusively, that's who we're talking about? No shit! Since when? I don't recall talking exclusively about the trolls when, in response to Bemore, I wrote, "It's easy to assume these theists are all trolls when we know nothing about them and have no opportunity to socialize with them."

I don't know what you were getting at with this?

Quote:so that we can form a friendly relationship

Sorry, BRB, I just threw up in my mouth.

Quote:You seem to be missing that point. The only point I've been trying to make.

No I get it. And I'm saying that they can if they want.
They come here saying they're theists. We ask them questions as to why, because this is a ATHEIST forum, not a "get to know you before we dive into the actual theme of the forum forum". If they wanted to become BFF then resulting to bible bashing and verbal abuse is not helping their case.

Not every theist is here to join your little circle jerk of friends.

Quote:A theist posts a thread that explains their reasons for belief. X number of atheists post rebuttals. The theist posts a response, with abusive language. Which of the following options do you think is going to help lead to a better discussion?

Same answer as before. They came here with intent on having a religious conversation, they got it, they didn't like it so resulted to verbal abuse thus they're a cunt thus tell them to fuck off.

If they wanted to be friends verbal abuse sure as fuck ain't the way to do that. You don't need to be a social genius to work that one out...

Quote:If the theist isn't a troll, they won't have a reason to be insulting

EXACTLY, it comes back to them.

Simple as pie.

Quote:They will also be less inclined to accept criticism, when you present it amongst a torrent of insults.

If it's at the point of insults then it's clear that they wont accept criticism period.

Quote:Now you do, hopefully.

Yes, non-existent problems.

You think everyone can be friends and like totally BFF. News flash sister, aint gonna happen.
tl;dr

[Image: tumblr_m933a4umsK1ruiv8h.gif]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
24-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Bloody Germans.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
24-10-2012, 10:49 PM
[Image: 1348589954_lucky_truck_driver_survives_crash.gif]

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
25-10-2012, 01:42 AM
I gotta say here Muffs, you got me on the science part. It really is simple math.

Your vested interest in trolls = trolls hanging around to do what they do.

If you, and everyone else stopped bothering with them....well.........

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
25-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Troll influx
(25-10-2012 01:42 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I gotta say here Muffs, you got me on the science part. It really is simple math.

It would be a sad and boring place?

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
25-10-2012, 07:55 AM (This post was last modified: 25-10-2012 08:03 AM by Misanthropik.)
Let me start by saying that I despise trolls just as much as the next guy. Intentionally stubborn, blatantly arrogant, spewing completely invalid arguments simply for the sake of stirring shit. Such individuals are a scourge. What's more, they know it, and that makes it all the more fun for them.

Having said that, though, what I've found by debating online is that trolls - though a waste of time to combat - are rather useful as "target practice", if you will. They allow you to sufficiently exercise your debate muscles by throwing the most fallacious and absurd arguments at you. I find it's a good way to keep one's self in shape for when a real opponent comes along. It is for this reason that even though I can now spot a troll a mile away; I often don't point it out, and instead I keep debating him - simply because it's a good workout.

Edit: It should also be noted that Poe's Law is certainly an active force here on the ol' internetz, and as a result, it does - at times - become difficult to differentiate between trolls and genuine morons. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's encountered someone who most certainly had to be a troll, and yet retained such a striking sense of sincerity that the label of "troll" could not legitimately be applied.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
25-10-2012, 10:07 AM
(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  This ain't trolling son.
Well, some people *cough*bemore and caffe*cough* would have you believe this is trolling, but calm your tits KC, you're far from "troll".

I said you're a troll? I think that what you do is trolling? Quote me.

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:Hey, genius, mugging is anti-social behaviour.

Not if you do it with a friend.

Nice deflection, I give it a 9/10. I'm talking about the forum community at large, not some small group of friends within it.

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Son, this isn't Hello Kitty playground. This is an Atheist forum, if you come here and annoyance you're a theist, you're gonna get questions.

Sorry, could you repeat that, in functioning English? I don't get what you're trying to say. If you come here and annoyance you're a theist? Eh?

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Because they make minimal effort.

They're not responsible for our response. We are, and we can do better.

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  They discuss things we've discussed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.

So what?

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  How about a little less focus on my cliche's I choose to use and the actual topic at hand eh?

lol

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Son, this isn't Barbe Goes Camping, this an internet forum.
"If you can't handle the heat, stay the fuck out of the god damn kitchen nigga".

Yes, this is a public internet forum, not a private forum where this tribal attitude you have would make at least a modicum of sense.

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  So "special treatment" for theists?
You see Caffe, at least I treat everyone equally and don't single out a certain sub-section within society for "special treatment".

Yeah, but you're an ass-hole. Theists are the minority, so why shouldn't this public forum with a large portion of atheists make more of an effort to integrate theists into the community?

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I guess I'm just morally a better person then you.

lol

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Ahhh no I'm not. Are you really that stupid to think I was insinuating that?

Then clarify what you meant, please.

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Witty or abusive. I'm not very good at the prior, we have DLJ for that, so the later is often chosen.
What's your point?

Go back and read my posts, it should be obvi-- wait, nevermind. Here:

"A theist posts a thread that explains their reasons for belief. X number of atheists post rebuttals. The theist posts a response, with abusive language. Which of the following options do you think is going to help lead to a better discussion?

1) Atheists respond with insults.
2) Atheists respond without insults.

Personally, when option number one is chosen, I see nothing but derailment and a constantly increasing number of slurs and aggression."

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Ha! Good luck with that son. They tried to change me saying nigger/nigga..
Needless to say it wasn't as successful as they'd've hoped.

Nice one! Good for you! You must be so proud! I think you deserve a pat on the back! Rolleyes

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I never said that TTA shouldn't be social. If a theist comes here and is polite and nice etc.. then by all means befirend the shit out of him.
But if he comes here and bible bashes and throws around verbal abuse then that isn't someone that we want in our circle.
It's not a hard concept to grasp, seriously.

It's a stupid concept. Perhaps if you read my-- wait, that's asking too much, I get that now.

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Son, again, this isn't Hello Kitty playground.
Allow me to give you some life advice:
Some people are nice. Some people are cunts.
We don't want the later.

"But earmuffs you're being a cunt blah blah"

I'm a cunt to cunts. I'm not a cunt to nice people.
Cunts are cunts to everyone.
There is a difference. Learn it.

This community is very quick in labeling people "cunt" or "troll". In my posts, I've been saying this and pointing out why I think it needs to change.

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  It's a circle of 'friends'. If you don't fit in, you don't fit in.

Wrong. A forum is a place of discussion. If you don't fit in with pre-existing groups, that's not the problem of the new-comer. I'm not trying to be some radical here, I'm just saying we should try a bit harder to accommodate theists so that discussion in this forum doesn't become stagnant.

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  The circle shouldn't have to change to suit the needs of the new kid.
If the new kid is a cunt, then either he changes or he doesn't fit in and goes away.

It's a shame that this is a forum, eh?

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  How is it that someone with SPD knows more about how groups of friends work then someone who wants to be MrFriend to everyone left right and center?

Let's be more lenient with rude people and try to help them integrate into the existing community = Let's all be friends?

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  Not every theist is here to join your little circle jerk of friends.

And?

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  If it's at the point of insults then it's clear that they wont accept criticism period.

You know this, how?

(24-10-2012 09:12 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You think everyone can be friends and like totally BFF. News flash sister, aint gonna happen.

That's an interestingly hyperbolic idea of what I've been saying. I had no idea that trying to be kinder to theists (even those who come across as trolls) was the equivalent of saying, "LET'S BE BFFS YAY". So what if it isn't going to work with everyone (I never asserted that, either - you have a wild imagination)? We should still be more accomodating for the theists who may start getting on with us, regardless of whether or not they initially seem like ass-holes.
25-10-2012, 02:54 PM
[Image: 1311620085836.gif]

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
25-10-2012, 08:17 PM
Quote:I gotta say here Muffs, you got me on the science part. It really is simple math.

Son, I tried to get people to stop feeding the trolls.
The success rate of that was zero.
Thus the next best thing is to divert the topic of the thread.
The success rate was much higher.

See threads diverted with recipes for further information.

Quote:I said you're a troll? I think that what you do is trolling? Quote me.

I just did.

Quote:Nice deflection, I give it a 9/10. I'm talking about the forum community at large, not some small group of friends within it.

So a large group of people doing said activities together?
And this is anti-social how..?

Quote:Sorry, could you repeat that, in functioning English? I don't get what you're trying to say. If you come here and annoyance you're a theist? Eh?

*sigh*

Must I always spell shit out for the.. slower.. people?

Allow me to break this down for you so hopefully you can keep up.
I'll pause for a moment while you go get some pen and paper so you can follow along at home.

"this isn't Hello Kitty playground."

Allow me to rephrase this so that you might have a better chance of comprehending its meaning.
This isn't a mystical utopia where there is joyful lambs bouncing around in a rolling green meadow, with butterflies fluttering around in the gentle breeze and pots of gold at the end of every rainbow.

"This is an Atheist forum"

This is the real world. In said real world there is people that look like Girly and have a cold attitude towards other people like me. Shit doesn't come to you sugar coated, it gets thrown in your face and rubbed in.

" if you come here and annoyance you're a theist, you're gonna get questions."

I fail to see how you failed to comprehend this part of said sentence.

Quote:They're not responsible for our response. We are, and we can do better.

What, and they couldn't do better?
Why should we have to do better? They come here, we don't go to wherever they came from.

Quote:lol

Couldn't come up with something to say so resulted to "lol"?

Quote:Yes, this is a public internet forum, not a private forum where this tribal attitude you have would make at least a modicum of sense.

Exactly, public forum. Means anyone can come around these parts. People like me for example with a "tribal attitude".
Thus the point that said forum is not Hello Kitty Playground.

Quote:Yeah, but you're an ass-hole.

I thought I made this clear many many times prior. Why are people still not understanding this until they experience it first hand?

Quote:Theists are the minority, so why shouldn't this public forum with a large portion of atheists make more of an effort to integrate theists into the community?

You're missing the point.
We do, we welcome them. It's then them who are then the cunts. I don't understand why being a cunt then results in a cunt-like attitude back is so hard to grasp.

Quote:lol

See previous comment to the exact same quote.

Quote:Then clarify what you meant, please.

Son, if you want to clarify something you're gonna have to quote what you want me to clarify, I'm not going back through these stupidly long posts to find it.

Quote:"A theist posts a thread that explains their reasons for belief. X number of atheists post rebuttals. The theist posts a response, with abusive language. Which of the following options do you think is going to help lead to a better discussion?

1) Atheists respond with insults.
2) Atheists respond without insults.

Personally, when option number one is chosen, I see nothing but derailment and a constantly increasing number of slurs and aggression."

I thought I answered these stupid questions?
Don't tell me, you didn't understand my answer.

Quote:Nice one! Good for you! You must be so proud! I think you deserve a pat on the back! Rolleyes

Ohh comon now, you can do a bit better then a pat on the back. How about a medal?

Quote:It's a stupid concept.

No it's really not.
Allow me to do the typical philosophy equation.

people who verbally abuse and bible bash because they don't like the rational response they get in return for their questions are bad.
A friendly group of nice people don't want bad people in their friendly nice group of people.
Hence...

I'll let you figure out the last part, you sound like you need the brain exercise.

Quote:This community is very quick in labeling people "cunt" or "troll". In my posts, I've been saying this and pointing out why I think it needs to change.

Oh quit being a cunt.
I understand why you think it needs to change, I'm saying that we don't live in Hello Kitty Playground.

Quote:Wrong. A forum is a place of discussion. If you don't fit in with pre-existing groups, that's not the problem of the new-comer. I'm not trying to be some radical here, I'm just saying we should try a bit harder to accommodate theists so that discussion in this forum doesn't become stagnant.

How is it the majorities responsibility to change for the new comers?

real world example: Canada, making laws to ban religious things (crosses etc..) in schools because Muslims complained that it was "offensive". That is a clear case of people migrating to Canada and then making Canada change to suit them instead of them changing to suit Canada.
It's why people hate immigrants actual, because they expect said country to change and they themselves have no interest in change.

Exact same situation here.
I'm saying Canada shouldn't change to suit immigrants, immigrants should change to suit Canada.

Quote:It's a shame that this is a forum, eh?

What's your point?

Quote:Let's be more lenient with rude people and try to help them integrate into the existing community = Let's all be friends?

Correct. Because you're too much of a bitch to tell them to fuck off.
I'm sure this right here has required you to put on your big boy pants.

Quote:And?

And so instead of making US (TTA) out to be the bad guys 100% of the time, which your posts are doing, how about a little recognition that not all new comers are nice people with good intentions.

Quote:You know this, how?

Because they just received criticism and that's how they respond to it.

gezz, keep up.

Quote:That's an interestingly hyperbolic idea of what I've been saying. I had no idea that trying to be kinder to theists (even those who come across as trolls) was the equivalent of saying, "LET'S BE BFFS YAY". So what if it isn't going to work with everyone (I never asserted that, either - you have a wild imagination)? We should still be more accomodating for the theists who may start getting on with us, regardless of whether or not they initially seem like ass-holes.

That's exactly what you're saying. You want to hold hands and skip around the may pole with everyone left right and center even though person X could be a fucking serial killer for all you know. And I never be cunts to all theists, I said be cunts to the theists who come here to troll.
Fucking hell it's not hard to understand.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]