Troll or ID?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2015, 02:22 AM
Troll or ID?
Not Safe for Sanity
You have been warned

I came across some poor little IDers petitioning a peer-reviewed journal to let their paper in. The problem isn't that it's ID but that this is the only journal that will even touch ID and it isn't anywhere near their field of study.

There was a link to their paper. I read it. My wife drove me to the hospital where they were eventually able to stop the bleeding from my eyes but I fear that my prefrontal lobes may have permanently shut down in self-defense.

This isn't just run of the mill ID, this is truly horrible. Can somebody please restore my faith in humanity by telling me that that paper doesn't boil down to 'We analyzed Start Trek:TNG for a pattern and found one. QED God.'

If this is a troll it is insanely elaborate and somebody has way too much time on their hands.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2015, 03:04 AM
RE: Troll or ID?
(06-01-2015 02:22 AM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
Not Safe for Sanity
You have been warned

I came across some poor little IDers petitioning a peer-reviewed journal to let their paper in. The problem isn't that it's ID but that this is the only journal that will even touch ID and it isn't anywhere near their field of study.

There was a link to their paper. I read it. My wife drove me to the hospital where they were eventually able to stop the bleeding from my eyes but I fear that my prefrontal lobes may have permanently shut down in self-defense.

This isn't just run of the mill ID, this is truly horrible. Can somebody please restore my faith in humanity by telling me that that paper doesn't boil down to 'We analyzed Start Trek:TNG for a pattern and found one. QED God.'

If this is a troll it is insanely elaborate and somebody has way too much time on their hands.

This is the first (pseudo)scientific 'paper' I've read which began with mumbo-mumbo jargon.

To be fair, I only read the abstract and only was just woken up from sleeping all day, so I may be a little out of it on the 'reading comprehension' thing.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
06-01-2015, 03:30 AM
Well that's incoherent.

So people don't have to bother it, honest to Randi, is constructed like this:
People producing strings of numbers don't produce consistant paterns when they're specifically trying to produce non-repeating strings of numbers.

Intelegent design would produce paterns in the things the designer creates. (For some reason.)

If we group together disparate elements from Star Trek in a completely arbitrary way: For example: The colour yellow, Earth and the number three. If any of them are mentioned or something that has that quality appears on screen then that's a data point. (So if a yellow thing appears: Tally. If somebody says three: Tally. If a scene is set on Earth: Tally.)

A pattern immerges when we tally those points and structure the numbers a certain way.

this also happens to Mr. Bean, A Childrens bible and a fourth thing I don't care enough to look at.

Therefore those things are intelegently designed or something. They're not very clear about it.

What the actual fuck?

Troll. A troll got payed by some ID fund somewhere to watch TV and they're laughing. It needs to be; Nobody is that dumb.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 2 users Like Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
06-01-2015, 04:27 AM
The most significant scientific discovery presented in this paper is:
Quote:„Star Trek: The Next
Generation“, ... can be watched free and legal through online streaming[1].
[1] http://www.startrek.com/videos/star-trek...generation

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
06-01-2015, 02:05 PM
(06-01-2015 03:30 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Troll. A troll got payed by some ID fund somewhere to watch TV and they're laughing. It needs to be; Nobody is that dumb.

Thank you SAM, you've convinced me that they're the real deal. Never underestimate human stupidity.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
06-01-2015, 02:29 PM
(06-01-2015 02:05 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 03:30 AM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  Troll. A troll got payed by some ID fund somewhere to watch TV and they're laughing. It needs to be; Nobody is that dumb.

Thank you SAM, you've convinced me that they're the real deal. Never underestimate human stupidity.

How are your eyes recovering?

I can't get myself to click in the link, I already spent a few minutes today over at the Veridican website and I think I lost grey matter.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-01-2015, 03:17 PM
(06-01-2015 02:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  How are your eyes recovering?

I can't get myself to click in the link, I already spent a few minutes today over at the Veridican website and I think I lost grey matter.

[Image: index_zpsc3618561.jpg]

I've only glanced at Gordon's site briefly but I think that this is much worse in its own special way. It's like a grade 5 science fair project done by a kid with a religious agenda and no idea what science was that wants to be taken seriously in a respectable peer-reviewed publication. You can just hear the shrieks of "Persecution!" already.

---
06-01-2015, 08:40 PM
(06-01-2015 03:17 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 02:29 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  How are your eyes recovering?

I've only glanced at Gordon's site briefly but I think that this is much worse in its own special way. It's like a grade 5 science fair project done by a kid with a religious agenda and no idea what science was that wants to be taken seriously in a respectable peer-reviewed publication. You can just hear the shrieks of "Persecution!" already.

I am now a member Ohmy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
06-01-2015, 08:57 PM
(06-01-2015 08:40 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 03:17 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  

I am now a member Ohmy

Because ... ? Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2015, 08:58 PM
(06-01-2015 08:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-01-2015 08:40 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I am now a member Ohmy

Because ... ? Dodgy

Curiosity mostly.

Edit: there may be some theists over there worth slaying, who knows?