Trollish Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2017, 06:36 AM
RE: Trollish Question
Always get a second opinion, and always have your affairs in order.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
10-07-2017, 06:39 AM
(10-07-2017 06:36 AM)Dom Wrote:  Always get a second opinion, and always have your affairs in order.

Yup. First get married, *then* have affairs, and do them one at a time. None of this bouncing around from one affair to the next and back. Recipe for disaster Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
10-07-2017, 06:59 AM
(10-07-2017 12:51 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(10-07-2017 12:25 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Okay, I'm feeling in a trollish mood, so have a trick question:

Let's say that your doctor calls you after a physical. Your routine blood test was randomly selected for some additional screening and, well, the results are bad.

You have a very bad disease. It's extremely rare (only about one in ten million of the population ever develop it) and as a result no one's bothered to develop a cure or a treatment for it. You should start showing symptoms in a couple of months, and after that you have several months of suffering followed by unavoidable death. You should probably start writing out your last will and testament, and maybe take your last vacation days and retire.

Not quite ready to accept the information that this trusted medical professional is providing, you say that there must be some mistake. No, your doctor answers, not likely. This particular test is only yields false results one percent of one percent of the time... and that includes things like laboratory workers getting labels mixed up. No, he says, you really do have the disease.

Should you:

A) Accept what science is telling you and start putting your affairs in order, or...
B) Latch on to that 1% of 1% sliver of hope, decide it's probably just a bad test, and seek a second opinion?

Please explain your answers.

Evil_monster

This is quite easy to answer. I'd do them both, and I'd also add C) get second, third, fourth.... fifteenth opinions from other doctors.

I agree, always good to seek a second opinion. And even a third. And as Aliza mentioned, in the meantime, continue on with the getting your affairs in order while being proactive in seeing other doctors.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
10-07-2017, 07:15 AM
D) Kill the messenger, problem solved.

On a serious note, doctors make mistakes all the time, my brother (a practicing oncologist and surgeon) and I have had this discussion on a few occasions. He says he is infallible but he gets cases regularly where “other” doctors screwed up the diagnosis. Rolleyes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
10-07-2017, 07:45 AM
By the way, let's assume your doc tells you that this test only fails one in ten thousand times. Let's further assume that you go get a second opinion and find out that you don't in fact have the disease.

3... 2... 1...

PRAISE THE LAWD!

Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
10-07-2017, 04:11 PM
Why ask for a second opinion when you can more quickly consult the I-Ching?
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post