Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
13-03-2014, 06:20 PM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
(13-03-2014 06:13 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
Quote:So you see atheists atheism as something evil and that is why you want to spend time here? That doesn't make any sense.

It makes sense to me.

Can you explain that?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2014, 06:23 PM
[now the damn 'reply' and 'new reply' buttons are sending me to an error page... Deep Thought is trolling us?]

DP,
I sympathise but I don't agree.

There seem to be a few recognisable phases that the deconverted go through, something like:
The slow build up of doubt;
The dawning of realisation;
The crazy phase of can't get enough science and logic and learning the fallacies... the mental re-boot-camp;
The calm after the storm;
The boredom;
The helping others phase;
The rational activist.

Or something like that.

The trolls are useful for those in the crazy phase.

It's not always pleasant to watch but I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of their toys.

Just out of interest (and apologies if I have missed where you posted this before) who contributed to your deconversion? And more importantly, what was the approach they used or what style of writing grabbed your attention?
That's something worth learning from.

Cheers.

[and now I'm trying to post this and a pop-up says that the thread does not exist!]
[trying again … 5 hours later]
EDIT... Yay!

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
13-03-2014, 06:27 PM
(13-03-2014 06:09 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 05:57 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Not that I'm complaining in fact it's the opposite but what got Heywood banned? If it was spam I wouldn't know since I never paid attention...

Lion wwjd, Miss Meh, Alpha Mule... Somebody needs to build a bridge for all these trolls Undecided

I think repeatedly calling someone a troll constitutes a form of trolling.
If Mods see trolling and do nothing then they are part of the problem.
It took Mods at rationalskepticism.org 4,000+ posts to decide I was a troll.
Thats a LONG time to decide on your definition of trolling.

Report button - "Lion IRC is trolling"
Mod response - No he isnt. So we arent going to do anything

Is anyone here saying the TTA Mods arent doing their job?

Have I called you a troll, publicly, ever, in any post made prior to that one? Just curious; don't care enough to remember. But if you can find one post it so I can refuse to apologize for it Shy

13-03-2014, 06:38 PM
You all LOVE trolls....we know you do Sleepy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 4 users Like aurora's post
13-03-2014, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2014 06:47 PM by Charis.)
There's a difference between being arrested for expression of one's beliefs and their reasons for believing as they do, and being arrested for throwing ninja stars with bible verses at people. Likewise, there's a difference between social censure in the forums for one's beliefs and social censure for being consistently and overwhelmingly rude, sarcastic (in a mean way), and otherwise offensive in tone and manner in the majority of one's interactions. Also, supporting others who exhibit similar behavior or worse will do you no favors.

This does not qualify as persecution.

Lighten up a bit.
[+] 4 users Like Charis's post
13-03-2014, 06:46 PM
Best thing to do is ignore people you perceive as trolls. They will eventually tire of their games. It works this way in offline life too. Big Grin

Oops, that's ex boyfriends. Tongue

The beauty of the heart, is the lasting beauty. - Rumi Heart
[+] 3 users Like Deidre32's post
13-03-2014, 06:49 PM
(13-03-2014 06:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  [now the damn 'reply' and 'new reply' buttons are sending me to an error page... Deep Thought is trolling us?]

DP,
I sympathise but I don't agree.

There seem to be a few recognisable phases that the deconverted go through, something like:
The slow build up of doubt;
The dawning of realisation;
The crazy phase of can't get enough science and logic and learning the fallacies... the mental re-boot-camp;
The calm after the storm;
The boredom;
The helping others phase;
The rational activist.

Or something like that.

The trolls are useful for those in the crazy phase.

It's not always pleasant to watch but I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of their toys.

Just out of interest (and apologies if I have missed where you posted this before) who contributed to your deconversion? And more importantly, what was the approach they used or what style of writing grabbed your attention?
That's something worth learning from.

Cheers.

[and now I'm trying to post this and a pop-up says that the thread does not exist!]
[trying again … 5 hours later]
EDIT... Yay!

I quibble with your use of 'troll' in that context.

Trolls damage the forum regardless of their metaphysics.
What is useful is religious and other delusional people who are reasonably well behaved. Not so trolls.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-03-2014, 06:50 PM
(13-03-2014 06:20 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 06:13 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  It makes sense to me.

Can you explain that?

Yes. By analogy.

Do you find theism/Christianity to be problematic in some way?

Do you, for some reason, willingly engage in dialogue with those who hold such views in hopes to persuade/dissuade them?

Which do you think is more productive to your objective - talking only to those with whom you agree, or talking to those you hope to persuade?
13-03-2014, 06:51 PM
(13-03-2014 06:38 PM)aurora Wrote:  You all LOVE trolls....we know you do Sleepy

No, I don't. And many others have expressed the same view. Trolls need a fast swing of the banhammer.

Not all trolls are theists and not all theists are trolls.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-03-2014, 06:53 PM
I see nothing wrong with well meaning Christians and others of alternative religions, joining a site such as this to have healthy debate. Even if the debate gets heated. But, a troll is someone who has no intentions of having meaningful dialogue. About anything. They usually come to a site such as this, and throw out one liners, with very little interaction. They desire to gain reactions, not interactions.

I don't assume if someone isn't an atheist or an agostic that they are a troll. Don't think that's at all what the OP means.

The beauty of the heart, is the lasting beauty. - Rumi Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post