Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
13-03-2014, 06:54 PM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
(13-03-2014 06:27 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 06:09 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  I think repeatedly calling someone a troll constitutes a form of trolling.
If Mods see trolling and do nothing then they are part of the problem.
It took Mods at rationalskepticism.org 4,000+ posts to decide I was a troll.
Thats a LONG time to decide on your definition of trolling.

Report button - "Lion IRC is trolling"
Mod response - No he isnt. So we arent going to do anything

Is anyone here saying the TTA Mods arent doing their job?

Have I called you a troll, publicly, ever, in any post made prior to that one?...

What do your prior posts have to do with it? I'm referring to THIS post.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2014, 06:58 PM
(13-03-2014 06:54 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 06:27 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  Have I called you a troll, publicly, ever, in any post made prior to that one?...

What do your prior posts have to do with it? I'm referring to THIS post.

It was one post.
Your first line: "I think repeatedly calling someone a troll constitutes a form of trolling."
I just assumed you knew what 'repeatedly' meant....

13-03-2014, 07:01 PM
(13-03-2014 06:51 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 06:38 PM)aurora Wrote:  You all LOVE trolls....we know you do Sleepy

No, I don't. And many others have expressed the same view. Trolls need a fast swing of the banhammer.

Not all trolls are theists and not all theists are trolls.

I second that, I&I wasn't a theist and he's worthy of one of the lowest places in the TTA wall of infamy

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
13-03-2014, 07:01 PM
(13-03-2014 06:58 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 06:54 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  What do your prior posts have to do with it? I'm referring to THIS post.

It was one post.
Your first line: "I think repeatedly calling someone a troll constitutes a form of trolling."

Did I accuse you of calling me a troll repeatedly?
13-03-2014, 07:05 PM
(13-03-2014 06:50 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 06:20 PM)Dom Wrote:  Can you explain that?

Yes. By analogy.

Do you find theism/Christianity to be problematic in some way?

Do you, for some reason, willingly engage in dialogue with those who hold such views in hopes to persuade/dissuade them?

Which do you think is more productive to your objective - talking only to those with whom you agree, or talking to those you hope to persuade?

No, I don't find theism problematic, as far as my personal life is concerned.

All but one of my real life friends are Christians. I don't want to persuade or dissuade them of anything. They are as free to believe whatever they want as I am not to do so.

So this doesn't apply to me and I still don't understand why you would come here and spend so much time. It's not like you are making any friends, your rep looks pretty awful. With such a rep, you're not going to persuade anyone of anything either. If that is what you are after, you might try being nice.

So, I still don't understand what the attraction is.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
13-03-2014, 07:06 PM
(13-03-2014 07:01 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 06:58 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  It was one post.

Did I accuse you of calling me a troll repeatedly?

No, but that's the vibe I was getting. If I was wrong then I was wrong...
Don't know why I would expect the worst from as shiny an individual as yourself.

13-03-2014, 07:20 PM
(13-03-2014 07:05 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 06:50 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Yes. By analogy.

Do you find theism/Christianity to be problematic in some way?

Do you, for some reason, willingly engage in dialogue with those who hold such views in hopes to persuade/dissuade them?

Which do you think is more productive to your objective - talking only to those with whom you agree, or talking to those you hope to persuade?

No, I don't find theism problematic, as far as my personal life is concerned.

Great. Smile

Quote:All but one of my real life friends are Christians. I don't want to persuade or dissuade them of anything. They are as free to believe whatever they want as I am not to do so.

Great. Sounds like you tolerate lots of different viewpoints in the public square.

Quote:So this doesn't apply to me and I still don't understand why you would come here and spend so much time.

Sure. If you are ambivalent, I can see why you wouldnt understand the AvT contest of ideas.

Quote:It's not like you are making any friends, your rep looks pretty awful.

If theists could give negative reps in return, to the people who give them negative reps maybe things might appear more balanced. If the people who want to give me positive reps werent prevented from doing so by having the same repping restriction I do, things might appear more balanced. Do you see how there is a self-selecting, feedback loop effect going on here? You cant get positive reps from the people who agree with you because those people are themselves prevented from giving reps because they have a negative rep count.

Quote:With such a rep, you're not going to persuade anyone of anything either. If that is what you are after, you might try being nice.

Do you know what a logical fallacy is?
13-03-2014, 07:24 PM
Your reps have little, if anything, to do with your theism.

But it's your lie, tell it however you like.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
13-03-2014, 07:25 PM
(13-03-2014 07:20 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 07:05 PM)Dom Wrote:  No, I don't find theism problematic, as far as my personal life is concerned.

Great. Smile

Quote:All but one of my real life friends are Christians. I don't want to persuade or dissuade them of anything. They are as free to believe whatever they want as I am not to do so.

Great. Sounds like you tolerate lots of different viewpoints in the public square.

Quote:So this doesn't apply to me and I still don't understand why you would come here and spend so much time.

Sure. If you are ambivalent, I can see why you wouldnt understand the AvT contest of ideas.

Quote:It's not like you are making any friends, your rep looks pretty awful.

If theists could give negative reps in return, to the people who give them negative reps maybe things might appear more balanced. If the people who want to give me positive reps werent prevented from doing so by having the same repping restriction I do, things might appear more balanced. Do you see how there is a self-selecting, feedback loop effect going on here? You cant get positive reps from the people who agree with you because those people are themselves prevented from giving reps because they have a negative rep count.

Quote:With such a rep, you're not going to persuade anyone of anything either. If that is what you are after, you might try being nice.

Do you know what a logical fallacy is?

Sorry boy-oh it's not theists that can't give rep it is someone with a negative rep.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
13-03-2014, 07:28 PM
Lion, there are ways to present your beliefs in such a way that you will not be personally deemed a jerk, even in the event a given belief is uncomfortable. It has to do with courtesy, respect, logic, reason (yes, even where it regards your faith) and overall being nice.

Yes, a Christian's reason will differ from an Atheist's reason, but it can still be discussed with respect.