Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
13-03-2014, 07:32 PM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
(13-03-2014 06:53 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I see nothing wrong with well meaning Christians and others of alternative religions, joining a site such as this to have healthy debate. Even if the debate gets heated. But, a troll is someone who has no intentions of having meaningful dialogue. About anything. They usually come to a site such as this, and throw out one liners, with very little interaction. They desire to gain reactions, not interactions.

I wouldn't consider myself a troll but your definition would define me as one, mostly because I can't check the forums for hours or days most times and post inane things to show I'm alive still.
A troll would be someone who spams new threads and baits existing ones.
They are a barometer of sorts, I would hate to see registration roadblocks to combat trolls as their usual fake position can be publicly debunked infull view of the fence sitters, aiding in the global de-conversion movement.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2014, 08:00 PM
(13-03-2014 07:28 PM)Charis Wrote:  Lion, there are ways to present your beliefs in such a way that you will not be personally deemed a jerk, even in the event a given belief is uncomfortable. It has to do with courtesy, respect, logic, reason (yes, even where it regards your faith) and overall being nice.

Yes, a Christian's reason will differ from an Atheist's reason, but it can still be discussed with respect.

Do you accept that some things are in the eye of the beholder?
Eg. can you give me an objective definition of the word 'jerk'?
...or 'respect'.
13-03-2014, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2014 08:22 PM by Lion IRC.)
(13-03-2014 04:58 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 04:36 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  All three of you are infuriatingly arrogant though, which is a characteristic of all trolls.

Of course that doesn't mean to say that you are all trolls solely because of this because I think there are other characteristics*, but it's certainly worth the negative reputation points.

There are theists and deists on here with positive reputation points who are not arrogant.

I wonder if there is a connection here?
From my experience, no, that's not the connection. I was moving up in the green until I mentioned I was a YEC, at which point I went from reasonable to intellectually dishonest (another term which is way over-used here) troll almost overnight. It was about ideology, not behavior.

I get told the neg reps are because I dont 'contribute' appropriately or that it is a sort of karma retribution, NOT because I'm a theist, but because my posts arent in accordance
with the forum's expected standard of logical, rational, reasonable, scientific, dialogue.

And so what do the Neg Rep comments look like which are supposed to rehabilitate and guide me in the ways of the enlightened TTA folk?

...Cowardly, dishonest little rat.
...Whining c**t. Probably runs an army of sock puppets on this forum.
...this guy is a jerk.
...Gaze upon the unnatural lovechild of PJ and Heywood
...One of the worst human beings I have ever come across.
...All around terrible person.
...Whiny, pretentious, accusatory, ignorant, disingenuous, deluded, persecution complex. I could go on.
...You genuinely annoy me greatly, just so you know
...No real reason for being here, nothing original to say,
...Sad attempt of a troll wannabe
...It's been a long time coming. Enjoy!
[+] 1 user Likes Lion IRC's post
13-03-2014, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 13-03-2014 08:28 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(13-03-2014 07:25 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 07:20 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Great. Smile

Great. Sounds like you tolerate lots of different viewpoints in the public square.

Sure. If you are ambivalent, I can see why you wouldnt understand the AvT contest of ideas.

If theists could give negative reps in return, to the people who give them negative reps maybe things might appear more balanced. If the people who want to give me positive reps werent prevented from doing so by having the same repping restriction I do, things might appear more balanced. Do you see how there is a self-selecting, feedback loop effect going on here? You cant get positive reps from the people who agree with you because those people are themselves prevented from giving reps because they have a negative rep count.

Do you know what a logical fallacy is?

Sorry boy-oh it's not theists that can't give rep it is someone with a negative rep.

There's more than a few atheists with negative rep too, maybe Lion wishes they could give him rep too?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Actually the fourth one down is pretty damn funny.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
13-03-2014, 08:38 PM
(13-03-2014 08:17 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 04:58 PM)alpha male Wrote:  From my experience, no, that's not the connection. I was moving up in the green until I mentioned I was a YEC, at which point I went from reasonable to intellectually dishonest (another term which is way over-used here) troll almost overnight. It was about ideology, not behavior.

I get told the neg reps are because I dont 'contribute' appropriately or that it is a sort of karma retribution, NOT because I'm a theist, but because my posts arent in accordance
with the forum's expected standard of logical, rational, reasonable, scientific, dialogue.

And so what do the Neg Rep comments look like which are supposed to rehabilitate and guide me in the ways of the enlightened TTA folk?

...this guy is a jerk.
...Whiny, pretentious, accusatory, ignorant, disingenuous, deluded, persecution complex. I could go on.

Seems accurate, you get positive rep!

β€œIt is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
13-03-2014, 08:46 PM
(13-03-2014 08:17 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 04:58 PM)alpha male Wrote:  From my experience, no, that's not the connection. I was moving up in the green until I mentioned I was a YEC, at which point I went from reasonable to intellectually dishonest (another term which is way over-used here) troll almost overnight. It was about ideology, not behavior.

...this guy is a jerk.

So let me get this straight - You're complaining about people complaining? And for those who accuse of whining - you whine about it?
Dude.......
Pro tip........... get over yourself a notch. Take the advice given, swallow some pride and learn to contribute if you wish to increase your score. People are clearly telling you that you've gotten bad rep points for behavior NOT belief. If belief were a factor then why aren't all the theists here bestowing you with HIGH points? One of my first good rep points came from KC. See how that works?
You're complaining and crying foul and persecution when you **could** just button up, contribute to threads without bemoaning your persecution and perhaps people will take you more seriously (as you apparently wish).
You're here to learn more about atheism (based on your responses to Dom).... so... how about you just do that? Honestly? Yanno - just honestly go about your day? Listen, ask questions and just be part of the community. I've read posts put forth by you before and honestly you come across combative- as if insulted that people don't believe as you do nor are they bible bangers - as if those are the only people you respect.
Just note the name on the door........ and if you REALLY want to get along... you should DO THAT. You don't have to quit your faith to be a part of a community. You DO have to respect yourself and respect others for that to happen, though.

I think you do a lot of assuming and mostly that people here are wrong. Wrong in their way of life, lack of belief, and mostly wrong that they judge you because you have faith. They judge you because you're pouting all the time and hateful about your faith.

Stop pouting. Stop crying persecution. Learn to be part of a community or GTFO.

simple

really

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
13-03-2014, 08:50 PM
(13-03-2014 03:38 PM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 11:56 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I think if ANYthing at this forum seriously upsets you - you're taking an internet forum too seriously. Cause -- honestly - it's a forum. It's not your life.

Honestly, I don't think I am taking this forum too seriously. If I hadn't taken it seriously to begin with, I doubt I would have become an Atheist. Say whatever you want about how internet forums just aren't important, or aren't like real life, but this one has the potential to change the trajectory of lives for the better.

I am extremely grateful for this community, and the technology that brings it to me, since I live in a religious community. Sometimes this forum is all I have, because everyone around me in every day life is crazy. When the crazy people push so hard to ruin my time here, I have had enough. I just won't tolerate it any more.

I feel that what we discuss here is directly practical to our lives outside the internet, and has meaning for the future. The issues we debate may shape the future in our lifetimes when it comes to religion and politics. I think this really matters.

Actually DP I think I came across snarky and I really didn't mean to. Sorry, hon. I love the sincerity and honesty in your post and appreciate you writing it and answering me with such earnest energy. Most of what you say I agree with... and nothing really I'd straight-up argue. It's very important that more (like you) take this seriously........ far more than I, I'm afraid. But - it doesn't mean I don't care. Ok? I do care. I only try to keep some balance that this is an internet forum and when/if it gets too much - I can always turn it off. Say rather than stress out over a troll.
Juuust trying to keep some balance............ that's all.
K?

Thanks again for writing back so wonderfully.
Really. I appreciate it.

Heart

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
13-03-2014, 08:52 PM
(13-03-2014 07:32 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 06:53 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I see nothing wrong with well meaning Christians and others of alternative religions, joining a site such as this to have healthy debate. Even if the debate gets heated. But, a troll is someone who has no intentions of having meaningful dialogue. About anything. They usually come to a site such as this, and throw out one liners, with very little interaction. They desire to gain reactions, not interactions.

I wouldn't consider myself a troll but your definition would define me as one, mostly because I can't check the forums for hours or days most times and post inane things to show I'm alive still.
A troll would be someone who spams new threads and baits existing ones.
They are a barometer of sorts, I would hate to see registration roadblocks to combat trolls as their usual fake position can be publicly debunked infull view of the fence sitters, aiding in the global de-conversion movement.

I should have added Big Grin, that a troll's main purpose is not to contribute in any meaningful way to a site. And often to ruffle other poster's feathers with disingenous dialogue. I think it's easy to spot them. They bait people for their own gain, kinda thing.

Anyway!

The beauty of the heart, is the lasting beauty. - Rumi Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
13-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Actually, not that anyone cares, I agree some that neg reps are given for ideology rather than behaviour.

It's a pity but there it is.

Freedom of expression n'all.