Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
13-03-2014, 09:12 PM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
(13-03-2014 09:05 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Actually, not that anyone cares, I agree some that neg reps are given for ideology rather than behaviour.

It's a pity but there it is.

Freedom of expression n'all.

Reps, positive and negative, are given for a variety of reasons.

I give negative rep for negative behavior, which includes willful ignorance.

If I gave it for belief, I would ding any Calvinist here. I haven't.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-03-2014, 09:52 PM
(13-03-2014 09:05 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Actually, not that anyone cares, I agree some that neg reps are given for ideology rather than behaviour.

I agree with Chas that there's a variety of reasons, but we do have a bias against theist, or is in favour of atheist?, maybe both.

Not that it is something to be unespected, any theist has to work through some scrutiny before being accepted here, specially when we consider the amount of crazy drive bys.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
13-03-2014, 09:59 PM
(13-03-2014 09:52 PM)nach_in Wrote:  

I agree with Chas that there's a variety of reasons, but we do have a bias against theist, or is in favour of atheist?, maybe both.

Not that it is something to be unespected, any theist has to work through some scrutiny before being accepted here, specially when we consider the amount of crazy drive bys.

I've seen theists treated very well around here when they are actually willing to have a discussion.

I agree with others in here that the ones who are trollish/spammy should get the ban hammer. Super annoying when I want to goof off with you lovely people, and the first page of new posts is almost entirely threads made by someone like miss meng.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
13-03-2014, 10:16 PM
(13-03-2014 09:52 PM)nach_in Wrote:  

I tend to disagree Nach. We have some atheists here that are assholes and loads of negative rep. We have had some theists who were treated very fairly because they were nice and didn't come off like arrogant jerks. They also knew their shit, but weren't afraid to admit that belief not evidence drove them.

They didn't come off as apologist scum, who moved the goal posts and fired back with snappy one liners...

Unfortunately for us, the nice theist types are too few and far between. But the jerk ones seem to never want to leave.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-03-2014, 10:29 PM
I'm still holding to my idea that people who receive a low enough rep should be banned regardless of whether they are a troll or not. It's important to remember that this is an online community not just a marketplace where everyone gets their own soapbox to shout from. The people on this site are often here in times of crises or are trying to escape the outside world. They are in need of unity not division. If they wanted straight antagonism they could read the comments on any YouTube video. If someone's rep reaches a certain point then ban them cause it means that this person is causing the forum to not be a place of unity but division. And as such it takes away the enjoyment of a majority of the community. If people are worried about a mob mentality taking over, they really shouldn't be since that's what the moderator is for. If the moderator thinks that the person is being unfairly down voted, such as for ideological reasons, then he just chooses not to ban them.

I would also like to add ( mostly directed towards lion) that there is no reason a theist should have a negative rep based on his views. I've been here for over two years and have maintained a positive rep and I am one of the most conservative Catholics you will ever meet. I'm at a post secondary school where one of the courses involves basically just reading papal encyclicals. In fact the only time I got a negative rep point was when I expressed the fact that I had very much enjoyed the ideas of an atheist philosopher ( Nietzsche - although I no longer hold Nietzsche in any real regard and in fact find him quite distasteful).

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 6 users Like TarzanSmith's post
13-03-2014, 10:56 PM
(13-03-2014 08:46 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 08:17 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  I get told the neg reps are because I dont 'contribute' appropriately or that it is a sort of karma retribution, NOT because I'm a theist, but because my posts arent in accordance
with the forum's expected standard of logical, rational, reasonable, scientific, dialogue.

And so what do the Neg Rep comments look like which are supposed to rehabilitate and guide me in the ways of the enlightened TTA folk?

...Cowardly, dishonest little rat.
...Whining c**t. Probably runs an army of sock puppets on this forum.
...this guy is a jerk.
...Gaze upon the unnatural lovechild of PJ and Heywood
...One of the worst human beings I have ever come across.
...All around terrible person.
...Whiny, pretentious, accusatory, ignorant, disingenuous, deluded, persecution complex. I could go on.
...You genuinely annoy me greatly, just so you know
...No real reason for being here, nothing original to say,
...Sad attempt of a troll wannabe
...It's been a long time coming. Enjoy!

So let me get this straight -

Nope. You fanged it already. You're supposed to "get this straight" in your head BEFORE you launch into a sanctimonious rant.

Quote:You're complaining about people complaining?

Nope. I think you feel awkward and embarrassed by the problem I'm talking about and youre trying to deflect by - ironically - ...complaining about my 'complaining' because it is aimed at your "in-group" buddies. And you want to defend the Neg Rep system at all costs because free speech is important, right? (For the folk who have +Reps)

Quote:And for those who accuse of whining - you whine about it?
They dont whine. They give thoughtful, well-reasoned criticism that everyone needs to read as part of free discussion in an open forum.
The only whiners here are the folk with Neg Rep - like me.

Quote:Dude.......
Pro tip........... get over yourself a notch.

Says the person looking down on me from their ivory tower. How many negative Rep points have you got again????

Quote:Take the advice given, swallow some pride and learn to contribute if you wish to increase your score.

I dont wish to increase my score. I wish to decrease YOURS.

Quote:People are clearly telling you that you've gotten bad rep points for behavior NOT belief.

Nope. Thats not clear at all.

Quote: If belief were a factor then why aren't all the theists here bestowing you with HIGH points?

Hey alphamale, Drich, savedwheat, can I get a positive rep point when you get a moment? TIA.

Quote: One of my first good rep points came from KC. See how that works?

Yeah. Its just like I said.

Quote: You're complaining and crying foul and persecution when you **could** just button up, contribute to threads without bemoaning your persecution and perhaps people will take you more seriously (as you apparently wish).

If I am complaining what is it that you are doing?

Quote: You're here to learn more about atheism (based on your responses to Dom).... so... how about you just do that?

I didnt actually say I'm here to "learn more about atheism."

Quote: Honestly? Yanno - just honestly go about your day? Listen, ask questions and just be part of the community.

I wish!

Quote: I've read posts put forth by you before and honestly you come across combative- as if insulted that people don't believe as you do nor are they bible bangers - as if those are the only people you respect.

Projecting is fun. Here, let me have a go.
...you come across as someone who needs to stick their nose into my conversations with other people. You seem to think that people with strongly/firmly held views are a threat to your post-modern, relativist ambivalence. You imagine that you can tone-police people and make them compromise their values in order to please the (popular) majority in which you reside.

Quote:Just note the name on the door........ and if you REALLY want to get along... you should DO THAT.

If the sign on the door says "Atheists Come First" I'll leave.

Quote:You don't have to quit your faith to be a part of a community.

Gee - THANKS!
Phew! I was almost about to deconvert to see if I started getting more positive reps. Did you know that many people DO fake it in order to be popular?

Quote:You DO have to respect yourself and respect others for that to happen, though.

Define respect in a way that isnt subjective.

Quote:I think you do a lot of assuming and mostly that people here are wrong.

...and were back to projecting again. Facepalm
You're assuming that I'm assuming that people who you assume arent wrong are assumed to be. Hobo

Enough with the troll psycho-dramas and lets get back to free speech dialogue between people who can think and speak for themselves. If you dont like me "complaining" turn to another channel. Ignore me. AND please do others the courtesy of not trying to dissuade them if they want to NOT ignore me.

Quote: Stop pouting. Stop crying persecution.

Nobody persecutes me. Wanna try?

Quote:Learn to be part of a community or GTFO.

Conform or leave?
Isnt there another option?
Consider
13-03-2014, 11:08 PM
(13-03-2014 10:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 09:52 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I agree with Chas that there's a variety of reasons, but we do have a bias against theist, or is in favour of atheist?, maybe both.

I tend to disagree Nach. We have some atheists here that are assholes and loads of negative rep. We have had some theists who were treated very fairly because they were nice and didn't come off like arrogant jerks. They also knew their shit, but weren't afraid to admit that belief not evidence drove them.

They didn't come off as apologist scum, who moved the goal posts and fired back with snappy one liners...

Unfortunately for us, the nice theist types are too few and far between. But the jerk ones seem to never want to leave.

What are you disagreeing with, Moms? It sounds more like you are in general agreement.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-03-2014, 11:09 PM
So I skimmed half the thread, wasn't hugely interesting tbh. I wanna have DP's babies now though after his advocating of 'ignore the trolls'.

On that note can I just ask why anyone is bothering with Lion IRC here? From what I gathered so far (which may not be correct as I tend not to bother so much with this stuff in all fairness) everyone seems to think that Lion is just trolling or crazy (probably a fair assessment), yet then people continue to engage him as though they are gonna convince him they are right, or somehow score some kind of victory.

If he is a troll, why argue? You are never gonna win as his sole aim is to argue with you. You literally couldn't hand him a greater victory if you bent over for him and lubed up.

If he is crazy, why argue? Rational points, and clever arguments generally don't work against people who have the mental capacity of deformed walnut.

If I'm wrong as to what is occurring here (and has occurred with Miss Meng, and whoever else everyone argues about) then my bad but I'm pretty sure I have valid point here.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
13-03-2014, 11:18 PM
(13-03-2014 10:56 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  If the sign on the door says "Atheists Come First" I'll leave.

The Thinking Atheist website forum. The name alone serves as a sign. You are being insulting to even insinuate that you didn't think otherwise and are obscenely obtuse if you claim ignorance of the fact that this place was created for like minded atheists and/or freethinkers to have a meeting place. It is a place that welcomes all thoughts (within reason, key word there), but first and foremost those who have rejected theism.

Yes, that sign is on the door. So you can kindly get the fuck out if you don't like it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
13-03-2014, 11:34 PM
(13-03-2014 11:18 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 10:56 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  If the sign on the door says "Atheists Come First" I'll leave.

The Thinking Atheist website forum. The name alone serves as a sign. You are being insulting to even insinuate that you didn't think otherwise and are obscenely obtuse if you claim ignorance of the fact that this place was created for like minded atheists and/or freethinkers to have a meeting place. It is a place that welcomes all thoughts (within reason, key word there), but first and foremost those who have rejected theism.

Yes, that sign is on the door. So you can kindly get the fuck out if you don't like it.

Cya