13-03-2014, 11:41 PM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
Bye. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
13-03-2014, 11:43 PM
Strange, I believe Please Jesus may be the only theist I have neg rep'd. It wasn't really his religious beliefs so much as his advocating child abuse that disgusted me.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 3 users Like Losty's post
13-03-2014, 11:47 PM
(13-03-2014 11:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 10:16 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I tend to disagree Nach. We have some atheists here that are assholes and loads of negative rep. We have had some theists who were treated very fairly because they were nice and didn't come off like arrogant jerks. They also knew their shit, but weren't afraid to admit that belief not evidence drove them.

They didn't come off as apologist scum, who moved the goal posts and fired back with snappy one liners...

Unfortunately for us, the nice theist types are too few and far between. But the jerk ones seem to never want to leave.

What are you disagreeing with, Moms? It sounds more like you are in general agreement.

Nach wrote: "but we do have a bias against theist, or is in favour of atheist?, maybe both."

I disagree with that. I think we can be nice and fair to people who treat us the same regardless of their belief or lack thereof.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

13-03-2014, 11:50 PM
What WhineIRC is referring to is that ye olde mission statemente for the forum (which I've never read) says something about this place is for everyone and everyone should feel welcome here regardless of religious affiliation. Which is indeed a noble sentiment and should be supported IMO.

He misreads that to mean that *he* should feel welcome here *because* he is a Christian, and that somehow people are supposed to not notice that he's a dick.

Religious welcome, dicks not. Clear, Whiny? Two things: 1. you *are* free to leave. Or not, I'd like it if you left but that's only 'cos I don't like you. 2. you are free to stay. 3. You're fucken irritating.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 4 users Like morondog's post
13-03-2014, 11:50 PM
(13-03-2014 11:43 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  Strange, I believe Please Jesus may be the only theist I have neg rep'd. It wasn't really his religious beliefs so much as his advocating child abuse that disgusted me.

I think I neg repped him for the same reason. Yes, I think he's the only one too.

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
13-03-2014, 11:52 PM
(13-03-2014 11:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 11:08 PM)Chas Wrote:  What are you disagreeing with, Moms? It sounds more like you are in general agreement.

Nach wrote: "but we do have a bias against theist, or is in favour of atheist?, maybe both."

I disagree with that. I think we can be nice and fair to people who treat us the same regardless of their belief or lack thereof.

I'm not saying we are unfair, I just think we have a bias, we can and do correct that. I haven't seen a community more aware of its own bias...es(?) than this one.
I for one always look at theist's first posts with some suspicion, I also try to hold my neg reps for as long as I can, specially for theists.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
14-03-2014, 12:02 AM
(13-03-2014 11:52 PM)nach_in Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 11:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Nach wrote: "but we do have a bias against theist, or is in favour of atheist?, maybe both."

I'm not saying we are unfair, I just think we have a bias, we can and do correct that. I haven't seen a community more aware of its own bias...es(?) than this one.
I for one always look at theist's first posts with some suspicion, I also try to hold my neg reps for as long as I can, specially for theists.

I do understand what you mean. My view, in regard to bias is a bit different that's all. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
14-03-2014, 12:07 AM
(13-03-2014 12:35 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I'm all for letting the trolls have their space, I think some of their shit is a necessary evil so we can keep the whole "free speech" thing working.

I am certainly in favor of free speech, just not spam. I feel that if someone is posting without interacting in any meaningful way with anyone, a perfect example being Miss Meng, a moderator should deal with them.

Quote:Meng is a clear case, when a user spams the forum, is clear after several pages that doesn't want to engage in any form of meaningful conversation, and even starts to claim to be the webmaster and supervisor of the site, it's time to swing the ban hammer with all its power.

I could not possibly agree more with this.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 4 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
14-03-2014, 12:16 AM
(13-03-2014 12:51 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Why not just make it forum policy that no theists are allowed unless they publically and regularly confess their inner doubts about the existence of God and affirm that they are here to learn stuff from the wisest human beings on the planet - atheists.

Why are you so bitter? I don't have any problem with theists. I just have a problem with people who spam the forum with tons of copy paste threads and only participate in their own threads to hand out condescending passive aggressive insults.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 3 users Like Losty's post
14-03-2014, 12:20 AM
(13-03-2014 12:51 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  Why not just make it forum policy that no theists are allowed unless they publically and regularly confess their inner doubts about the existence of God and affirm that they are here to learn stuff from the wisest human beings on the planet - atheists.

I don't think that would be even remotely fair, besides we don't really know if any particular Theist has any doubts at all, unless they disclose that to us. Also, being an Atheist doesn't make you automatically smarter than anyone else.

I don't see a problem with coming to this forum as a theist intent on discussing religious principles, or even to promote a particular religion. The only thing that I take issue with is posters who enter the forum intent on spamming it for a negative reaction.

I don't want to see Theists penalized for posting on this forum. I want to see them, and Atheists alike, exchanging arguments, rather than just posting rhetorical threads.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 3 users Like Dark Phoenix's post