Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
14-03-2014, 01:20 AM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
(14-03-2014 01:17 AM)Charis Wrote:  I feel like I'm also on the short end of the stick where intellect is concerned...

Dumb-arse!

Tongue

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2014, 01:23 AM
Yesh you're likely right.
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
14-03-2014, 01:26 AM
(13-03-2014 04:58 PM)alpha male Wrote:  From my experience, no, that's not the connection. I was moving up in the green until I mentioned I was a YEC, at which point I went from reasonable to intellectually dishonest (another term which is way over-used here) troll almost overnight. It was about ideology, not behavior.

In my experience this kind of rep problem happens all the time. When I go through rep's I usually see at least one negative based on beliefs, ideology, or argument style.

I think we need to take a serious look at why we rep. I don't feel that it is designed to represent a popularity contest. It should weed out posters who are genuinely behaving badly.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
14-03-2014, 01:36 AM
(14-03-2014 01:16 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Okay then, let me expand on the subject of the brainstorming. In what ways was it awesome, and in what ways would you like it to be awesome in the future?

There used to be discussion. Maybe it's a bit of fault on both sides. It may be that there just hasn't been that much quality in opposition banter, it may be that we as a forum devolved into a whirlwind of atheism that can't be bothered.

I hope the latter isn't the case, and I don't think it is.

I dunno man, I personally think we'll be singing a different complaint in a month, it's just the way life is.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
14-03-2014, 01:46 AM
(13-03-2014 05:59 PM)Dom Wrote:  So you see atheists as something evil and that is why you want to spend time here? That doesn't make any sense.

Well, here is a dose of Atheist honesty.

I see Christianity as something evil, and I spend time on Christian forums trying to convince Christians to abandon their religion. I do it because I think they will be better of without their religion.

Is that arrogant and pretentious? Sure. I do it anyway though, because I think the facts and arguments are on my side, and more people than just me deserve to find out about that. They might decide to let it all go, just like I did, and become happier, just like I have.

If Christians on this forum are engaged in the exact same thing, but opposite, I don't see how I can complain. It would be a pleasure to debate and discuss with them. I personally consider them welcome here. If that is what they are doing, I think it makes a great deal of sense.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
[+] 3 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
14-03-2014, 01:50 AM
(13-03-2014 06:23 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Just out of interest (and apologies if I have missed where you posted this before) who contributed to your deconversion? And more importantly, what was the approach they used or what style of writing grabbed your attention?
That's something worth learning from.

As it happens, I am currently working on a full and detailed account of my deconversion. It is not yet complete and I have never posted any summary of it, so I am not surprised that you don't know my story.

I would be happy to write a short summary in response to your question, but not here. I will make a new thread and answer it as soon as I finish the discussion here on forum quality.

-Karl Marx
[+] 2 users Like Dark Phoenix's post
14-03-2014, 01:58 AM
(13-03-2014 08:17 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  ...Cowardly, dishonest little rat.
...Whining c**t. Probably runs an army of sock puppets on this forum.
...this guy is a jerk.
...Gaze upon the unnatural lovechild of PJ and Heywood
...One of the worst human beings I have ever come across.
...All around terrible person.
...Whiny, pretentious, accusatory, ignorant, disingenuous, deluded, persecution complex. I could go on.
...You genuinely annoy me greatly, just so you know
...No real reason for being here, nothing original to say,
...Sad attempt of a troll wannabe
...It's been a long time coming. Enjoy!

I agree with Lion here. What the fuck is going on with his rep? "All around terrible person"? I would be interested to see a citation on that.

This is pretty blatant evidence that we have a problem with bias here.

-Karl Marx
14-03-2014, 02:00 AM
(14-03-2014 01:58 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 08:17 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  ...Cowardly, dishonest little rat.
...Whining c**t. Probably runs an army of sock puppets on this forum.
...this guy is a jerk.
...Gaze upon the unnatural lovechild of PJ and Heywood
...One of the worst human beings I have ever come across.
...All around terrible person.
...Whiny, pretentious, accusatory, ignorant, disingenuous, deluded, persecution complex. I could go on.
...You genuinely annoy me greatly, just so you know
...No real reason for being here, nothing original to say,
...Sad attempt of a troll wannabe
...It's been a long time coming. Enjoy!

I agree with Lion here. What the fuck is going on with his rep? "All around terrible person"? I would be interested to see a citation on that.

This is pretty blatant evidence that we have a problem with bias here.

Well mine was listed under that and it came from a combination of his defending rape and his trying to turn a right to die bill into euthanasia of all children.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-03-2014, 02:05 AM
(13-03-2014 08:50 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Actually DP I think I came across snarky and I really didn't mean to. Sorry, hon. I love the sincerity and honesty in your post and appreciate you writing it and answering me with such earnest energy. Most of what you say I agree with... and nothing really I'd straight-up argue. It's very important that more (like you) take this seriously........ far more than I, I'm afraid. But - it doesn't mean I don't care. Ok? I do care. I only try to keep some balance that this is an internet forum and when/if it gets too much - I can always turn it off. Say rather than stress out over a troll.
Juuust trying to keep some balance............ that's all.
K?

Thanks again for writing back so wonderfully.
Really. I appreciate it.

Heart

Truthfully, I wasn't offended. I just didn't agree. You didn't really appear all that snarky, if at all.

Although your advice is sensible, I am afraid my personality prevents me from being balanced. I have such passion for the issues we discuss, I can't help but take it seriously, perhaps too seriously at times.

I don't feel that my passion and particular style of discussion takes away from anyone else here. I know you care. I have laughed my ass off more than once from things you posted. I appreciate your work very much.

-Karl Marx
14-03-2014, 02:15 AM
(14-03-2014 12:30 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  Okay, one last attempt before I give up. Brainstorming exercise. We're talking about helping the forum (the Atheism and Theism forum, specifically) rise above the crap, possibly by ignoring the crap, while still at the same time preserving and even cultivating what's awesome about it. So, what parts of it are awesome?

I don't have a comprehensive list, but what was particularly helpful for me was the deonversion stories. To this day I can not get enough of them. I want to know why every single person left their faith, or never had it to begin with.

-Karl Marx