Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
14-03-2014, 02:18 AM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
(14-03-2014 12:54 AM)DLJ Wrote:  This post now should have a poignant, moving and eloquent summary but...

I ain't got one!

I hear those exact words in my head every single time I post anything.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Phoenix's post
14-03-2014, 02:27 AM
(14-03-2014 02:00 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well mine was listed under that and it came from a combination of his defending rape and his trying to turn a right to die bill into euthanasia of all children.

I personally would not have given a rep based on that, even as revolting as it is, since it is still just an opinion. Hell, I am no professional writer, but I could write a very respectful, well behaved, summary of why children ought to be euthanized. It wouldn't make the opinion any less grotesque, but I don't feel that it would deserve a rep on that basis.

Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness.

-Karl Marx
14-03-2014, 02:41 AM
I just read this whole thread because it is a topic dear to my heart. It's been depressing lately looking at the poor quality of the conversations going on.

The recent trolling by someone calling themselves "miss meng" was degrading the standard of discourse on the forum. It was floss… pointless unintellectual drivel. The author was obviously an educated soul... unable to spell or express themselves properly, and I suspect he or she was purposely trying to make a mess of the forum.

Even though this is an atheist forum, I don't think any atheist has a problem discussing issues with theists, provided the standard of conversation is high. We can all learn from each other.

We need to somehow keep things "intellectual."

Just ignoring someone like miss meng would be a good start. He or she was starting too many threads at once; maybe a moderator should've stopped that happening. Please don't take this personally if you're a moderator reading this (I don't even know who you are.... Except for KC)

I must admit I enjoy heaping a bit of shit on theists occasionally, particularly the obviously stupid ones, and my own banter is not particularly intellectual at those times, but I usually pull out after a few exchanges if nothing interesting is being discussed. I think we should all do that.

I'm a bit touched by the people who admit that this forum is like a family to them (because in their real lives they're surrounded by religious people.) That's bloody fantastic, and for their sake we mustn't let the quality of the forum be degraded by mud slinging and drivel.

PS I hope that even though this conversation has moved to another section a lot of people are still looking at it because it is an important topic.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 11 users Like Mark Fulton's post
14-03-2014, 02:49 AM
(14-03-2014 02:27 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 02:00 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well mine was listed under that and it came from a combination of his defending rape and his trying to turn a right to die bill into euthanasia of all children.

I personally would not have given a rep based on that, even as revolting as it is, since it is still just an opinion. Hell, I am no professional writer, but I could write a very respectful, well behaved, summary of why children ought to be euthanized. It wouldn't make the opinion any less grotesque, but I don't feel that it would deserve a rep on that basis.

After several pages of him twisting and turning Parental Consent into a way for evil doctors and parents to kill children that didn't want to die I think you might change your mind. It was more than enough for me.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
14-03-2014, 03:06 AM
(13-03-2014 06:38 PM)aurora Wrote:  You all LOVE trolls....we know you do Sleepy

I wouldn't say that I love the trolls...

But if they weren't here I get the feeling that I'd have far fewer likes (given and received), posts and far more boredom.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
14-03-2014, 03:07 AM
(14-03-2014 02:49 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  After several pages of him twisting and turning Parental Consent into a way for evil doctors and parents to kill children that didn't want to die I think you might change your mind. It was more than enough for me.

You make a sound point. I may have succumbed against my better judgement, or my ideals. Some opinions are just so shitty that you can't help but draw conclusions about whoever utters them.

I stand by what I think the standard ought to be though, and I will do my best to not succumb, even if I hate every word of my opponents arguments.

-Karl Marx
14-03-2014, 03:13 AM
(14-03-2014 03:07 AM)Dark Phoenix Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 02:49 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  After several pages of him twisting and turning Parental Consent into a way for evil doctors and parents to kill children that didn't want to die I think you might change your mind. It was more than enough for me.

You make a sound point. I may have succumbed against my better judgement, or my ideals. Some opinions are just so shitty that you can't help but draw conclusions about whoever utters them.

I stand by what I think the standard ought to be though, and I will do my best to not succumb, even if I hate every word of my opponents arguments.

Rep is a subjective thing, so if you want to hold to a certain standard that's fine. Girlyman for instance does not give negative rep. That is his choice just as it is mine to neg rep people I feel deserve it.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
14-03-2014, 03:15 AM
I had originally given dnw a neutral rep. Then changed it after I found out he wasn't just harassing me in PM but a bunch of other people too.
14-03-2014, 03:41 AM
(13-03-2014 11:09 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  So I skimmed half the thread, wasn't hugely interesting tbh.

(14-03-2014 02:41 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I just read this whole thread because it is a topic dear to my heart.

Ah! And here's one that is dear to my heart.

It's why I respect you Mark and why I think Hughsie is a lazy, fat twat.

(not putting that in a neg rep though... 'cause he might read it and he's got authority and shit Shy but he'll skim this post and miss it)

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
14-03-2014, 05:34 AM
(14-03-2014 01:36 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  There used to be discussion. Maybe it's a bit of fault on both sides. It may be that there just hasn't been that much quality in opposition banter, it may be that we as a forum devolved into a whirlwind of atheism that can't be bothered.
There you go. Policing the minority opposition is relatively easy. It's policing your own ranks that's difficult.