Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
14-03-2014, 05:41 AM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
The introspection shown in this thread by so many is the reason I like it here. Most of this community will take the time to examine their biases and readily (and sometimes grudgingly) admit they were in the wrong. They express why they felt the way they do or did and put it out there for the community to digest and question. Everyone learns something because of it. I have great respect for open minds and self critique and I'm grateful that many here display both.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
14-03-2014, 05:46 AM
Reads like a bunch of self-righteous twaddle to me. Angel

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-03-2014, 06:03 AM
(13-03-2014 10:56 PM)Lion IRC Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 08:46 PM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  So let me get this straight -

Nope. You fanged it already. You're supposed to "get this straight" in your head BEFORE you launch into a sanctimonious rant.

Quote:You're complaining about people complaining?

Nope. I think you feel awkward and embarrassed by the problem I'm talking about and youre trying to deflect by - ironically - ...complaining about my 'complaining' because it is aimed at your "in-group" buddies. And you want to defend the Neg Rep system at all costs because free speech is important, right? (For the folk who have +Reps)

Quote:And for those who accuse of whining - you whine about it?
They dont whine. They give thoughtful, well-reasoned criticism that everyone needs to read as part of free discussion in an open forum.
The only whiners here are the folk with Neg Rep - like me.

Quote:Dude.......
Pro tip........... get over yourself a notch.

Says the person looking down on me from their ivory tower. How many negative Rep points have you got again????

Quote:Take the advice given, swallow some pride and learn to contribute if you wish to increase your score.

I dont wish to increase my score. I wish to decrease YOURS.

Quote:People are clearly telling you that you've gotten bad rep points for behavior NOT belief.

Nope. Thats not clear at all.

Quote: If belief were a factor then why aren't all the theists here bestowing you with HIGH points?

Hey alphamale, Drich, savedwheat, can I get a positive rep point when you get a moment? TIA.

Quote: One of my first good rep points came from KC. See how that works?

Yeah. Its just like I said.

Quote: You're complaining and crying foul and persecution when you **could** just button up, contribute to threads without bemoaning your persecution and perhaps people will take you more seriously (as you apparently wish).

If I am complaining what is it that you are doing?

Quote: You're here to learn more about atheism (based on your responses to Dom).... so... how about you just do that?

I didnt actually say I'm here to "learn more about atheism."

Quote: Honestly? Yanno - just honestly go about your day? Listen, ask questions and just be part of the community.

I wish!

Quote: I've read posts put forth by you before and honestly you come across combative- as if insulted that people don't believe as you do nor are they bible bangers - as if those are the only people you respect.

Projecting is fun. Here, let me have a go.
...you come across as someone who needs to stick their nose into my conversations with other people. You seem to think that people with strongly/firmly held views are a threat to your post-modern, relativist ambivalence. You imagine that you can tone-police people and make them compromise their values in order to please the (popular) majority in which you reside.

Quote:Just note the name on the door........ and if you REALLY want to get along... you should DO THAT.

If the sign on the door says "Atheists Come First" I'll leave.

Quote:You don't have to quit your faith to be a part of a community.

Gee - THANKS!
Phew! I was almost about to deconvert to see if I started getting more positive reps. Did you know that many people DO fake it in order to be popular?

Quote:You DO have to respect yourself and respect others for that to happen, though.

Define respect in a way that isnt subjective.

Quote:I think you do a lot of assuming and mostly that people here are wrong.

...and were back to projecting again. Facepalm
You're assuming that I'm assuming that people who you assume arent wrong are assumed to be. Hobo

Enough with the troll psycho-dramas and lets get back to free speech dialogue between people who can think and speak for themselves. If you dont like me "complaining" turn to another channel. Ignore me. AND please do others the courtesy of not trying to dissuade them if they want to NOT ignore me.

Quote: Stop pouting. Stop crying persecution.

Nobody persecutes me. Wanna try?

Quote:Learn to be part of a community or GTFO.

Conform or leave?
Isnt there another option?
Consider

I will take this ^ to a PM.

As for the thread in general - I think this conversation is going very well. It was great for me to get to read people's thoughts on trolls, defining trolls, positive and negative rep points, etc. All good stuff.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
14-03-2014, 06:04 AM
(14-03-2014 05:46 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Reads like a bunch of self-righteous twaddle to me. Angel

Really?

So to improve forum quality, what would say the forum needs moar of?

Consider

14-03-2014, 06:07 AM
(14-03-2014 06:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 05:46 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Reads like a bunch of self-righteous twaddle to me. Angel

Really?

Consider

butts

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
14-03-2014, 06:13 AM
(14-03-2014 02:41 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I just read this whole thread because it is a topic dear to my heart. It's been depressing lately looking at the poor quality of the conversations going on.

The recent trolling by someone calling themselves "miss meng" was degrading the standard of discourse on the forum. It was floss… pointless unintellectual drivel. The author was obviously an educated soul... unable to spell or express themselves properly, and I suspect he or she was purposely trying to make a mess of the forum.

Even though this is an atheist forum, I don't think any atheist has a problem discussing issues with theists, provided the standard of conversation is high. We can all learn from each other.

We need to somehow keep things "intellectual."

Just ignoring someone like miss meng would be a good start. He or she was starting too many threads at once; maybe a moderator should've stopped that happening. Please don't take this personally if you're a moderator reading this (I don't even know who you are.... Except for KC)

I must admit I enjoy heaping a bit of shit on theists occasionally, particularly the obviously stupid ones, and my own banter is not particularly intellectual at those times, but I usually pull out after a few exchanges if nothing interesting is being discussed. I think we should all do that.

I'm a bit touched by the people who admit that this forum is like a family to them (because in their real lives they're surrounded by religious people.) That's bloody fantastic, and for their sake we mustn't let the quality of the forum be degraded by mud slinging and drivel.

PS I hope that even though this conversation has moved to another section a lot of people are still looking at it because it is an important topic.

First off, This is Seth's place, and I am quoting his statement on this:

Quote:TTA’s forum is a place of discussion, yes, and free discussion at that. However, is it NOT required to pander to everyone and everything that comes along, and ultimately, it exists to provide conversation, support, encouragement, information and community to the atheist, the agnostic, the freethinker.

In a world where the non-believer is treated as caricature, as the monster, as the outcast, The Thinking Atheist is a safe place. And I’ll do whatever is necessary to preserve this.

It is not discussion or community, it is discussion AND community.

The reason that people like Miss Meng get a zillion views and replies is that there is a need for light hearted banter in the community, and comic release, and yes, it is a (not very commendable) part of human nature to enjoy poking fun at something or someone. The Meng type threads are incredibly popular for that reason, and for the reason that it gives others something to bitch about, yet another human but not very commendable attribute.

On the other hand, people like PJ get a lot of replies because people are genuinely outraged at many of his views. Replies are fuelled by a need to vent about injustices in people's lives.

In and of itself this is all good and fine, as long as it doesn't interfere with the more serious discussion part of the forum. When it starts spilling into serious debates, it becomes a destructive force.

Spamming the forum with nonsense threads has gotten people banned, and I think it should, and faster. Threads that deteriorate into name calling and such are now moved out of range into the pit. There, those who want or need such a release, can roll in the mud all they like. The need for protection is addressed in the personal issues section, you can go and pour your heart out and get helpful replies, no disruptive behavior tolerated.

It is difficult to be all things to all people. But a forum that caters to a group as diverse as us atheists is trying to do just that. To be constructive, help the forum grow to be a place that can accommodate the needs of all atheists. A place where each of us finds what they came for. It can be done, but it also requires tolerance of other people's needs and wants, as well as weeding out purely destructive forces.

Also, it is a well known fact that forums thrive on controversy and die when everyone agrees on everything. Keep that in mind.

TTA is growing by leaps and bounds. There are a lot of people here who genuinely care about the place. You can all make it more like what you would like it to be - just contribute the things you want to see here.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 8 users Like Dom's post
14-03-2014, 06:14 AM
(14-03-2014 06:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 06:04 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Really?

Consider

butts

...and less butthurt.

The OP goes into troll threads dictating "don't feed the trolls," which of course only does the opposite, moving the thread to the top of the pile; so when a post doesn't cover the OP's indignation, one gets this blog post. Dodgy

I'm not listening to people telling me what, or how, to post. Peeps wanna put their hands over their bunghole, that's what the purple forum is for. I don't go there.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-03-2014, 07:05 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2014 07:10 AM by WitchSabrina.)
Not for nothing but I happen to think it's rather healthy that we operate as a community at times - even rushing to each other's aid when someone is attacked[1]. Anyone can call it 'mob mentality' all they want........but that sounds like butthurt to me. Here's the deal - this is how cultures survive - watching after and helping their own. Period. No one has to agree with me or like it when I point out to some twerp: "Yo, check the name on the door" but I will do that without hesitation if I see a friend here who's getting pissed on by some drop-by-twerp.

Now does that mean we aren't open to theists who come here - both genuine and not? No.....we are open to that. Obviously! Cause it happens every single day. Do we want more? I don't know. Do we want less? Don't know. I just don't think we need to judge ourselves based on the number of active, agreeable, reasonable theists we have on board. Mostly because THAT math rolls rather small if you ask me in far MORE places than this (check their goals and ambitions). Nope......it's far More likely that the theists who pop here are going to wish to FIX us......cause that's their MO more often than not.

And for the ones who troll through here wishing to FIX Girly or Robby or Morondog or whoever --- Yes, when they're all snarky and shit I will Happily remind them of the name on the door.

It is one thing to argue reasonably with good intent and reasoned data- even if one's perspective is faith-based. But anything short of that? How about get genuine or get over yourself???

or I'm just fed up with whiners............

what say you?

[1] for clarification purposes === YES I do consider it an 'attack' when a theist tries to shove scripture down someone's throat at an Atheist Forum. Yes. Yes I do.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 6 users Like WitchSabrina's post
14-03-2014, 07:33 AM
Well. If you wanna see something discussed properly, you could just make a proper thread about it
Tongue

A lot of what people do here is lounge around and unwind, particularly if even casual atheism would be problematic in parts of their daily lives. And snarking off and memeing out in a troll thread dogpile is fun. So there's that.

And also there's inevitable natural statistical variance. I'm far too lazy to see if it's primarily random or if there are some periodic trends, but, expecting constancy seems overmuch.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
14-03-2014, 08:12 AM
It's REALLY simple, people.

Like kindergarten simple.

If someone is trolling or is annoying... ignore them. They will have no power over you.

In the 25 years of the Internet, I still don't see why this is such a controversial topic. Ignoring a troll is the singlehandedly most effective way to kill them. If a parasite has no host, it dies.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post