Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
14-03-2014, 08:19 AM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
And in the 25 years of internet, human nature still gets the best of us. Methinks it might not be so simple, even if it should be.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-03-2014, 08:26 AM
(14-03-2014 08:12 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's REALLY simple, people.

Like kindergarten simple.

If someone is trolling or is annoying... ignore them. They will have no power over you.

In the 25 years of the Internet, I still don't see why this is such a controversial topic. Ignoring a troll is the singlehandedly most effective way to kill them. If a parasite has no host, it dies.

Yes and No.
Yes of course what you say is accurate.

but..... No, in that, I don't think we should allow it to appear that we don't tell trolls where to get off (1) and toys can be chewy fun goodness for stress relief (2).

What I DO think is More important is agreeing to what IS a troll and what is NOT a troll. I think those who've said "troll" is a term used too much here are spot on. To me there's a difference in being an asshole who deserves your butt handed to you in a sack of sarcasm and a true troll who would leave if ignored.
MsMengThing is a toughie for me. I'd qualify troll BUT a troll I want to smack at for being condescending towards people here that I adore.

so...........there's that to chew on

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post
14-03-2014, 08:28 AM

Like common sense? Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-03-2014, 08:32 AM
Trolling is anything to incite anger or instigate flaming.

Anyone can be a troll at any given time.

What defines someone is their Modus operandi. If they engage in trolling behavior the majority of their time, then they are Trolls.

Heck, I troll from time to time. There have been times when I'm a troll, but I'm not a Troll. If that makes any sense.

You have to decipher this from people's posting habits.

Taq, for instance... his posting habits on paper would be trollish... however, he isn't a Troll. He's just a dick. A lovable dick at times. But, overall, he's a dick.

Meng's posting habits are troll, troll, troll, and more troll; therefore, she's a Troll.

Deducing a Troll isn't hard.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 4 users Like kingschosen's post
14-03-2014, 08:32 AM
(14-03-2014 08:28 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

Like common sense? Tongue

You, Johnny, are a super genius.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-03-2014, 08:44 AM
(14-03-2014 03:41 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 11:09 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  So I skimmed half the thread, wasn't hugely interesting tbh.

(14-03-2014 02:41 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  I just read this whole thread because it is a topic dear to my heart.

Ah! And here's one that is dear to my heart.

It's why I respect you Mark and why I think Hughsie is a lazy, fat twat.

(not putting that in a neg rep though... 'cause he might read it and he's got authority and shit Shy but he'll skim this post and miss it)

I'm pretty good at skimming, I picked this one out. Big Grin

I have a policy against reading threads that don't look interesting in their entirety since I read that entire pedo thread (it was over 50 pages at the time) to see what the big fuss was about only to discover everything noteworthy had already been covered in a thread in FTM and all I got up to speed on was a load of retarded arguing (that I then ended up getting drawn into). Since then I've taken the approach that anything worth my attention will probs end up being either reported or posted in FTM.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
14-03-2014, 08:44 AM
Yeah OK --- like Common Sense...... but stop trivializing it, you two. Some people might just want to talk about it. No skin off your nose whatsoever.

Angry

Besides, KC, I appreciated your definition of troll vs non-troll.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
14-03-2014, 08:50 AM
Did KC say something?

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
14-03-2014, 08:51 AM
It astounds me how much hatred a little word like "think" gets online if you're an Atheist. Facebook is a fine example of a troll's jealousy, and how they echo each other without even thinking about it. I can't count how many jealous people think up some irrational bull, get butt hurt over their own lie, and then prove themselves to be what they think they felt offended over. "OH. Feel like a THINKER, huh. ^^^YOU" is basically what I have seen said repeatedly on the Facebook page.

The podcast has never condescended one phone call, guest or email. Yet, these jealous trolls run on in and blast away. Then we have the forums where we have the same problem in different context. It's apparently enough that they see a little label or a little bit of esteem and there they go again. I guess it's too hard to listen, chat politely with people, and read, because they're busy feeding the idea that someone else is supposed to feel as inferior as they do. What kind of new discussion is that? I don't get what it's adding here.
[+] 1 user Likes Lienda Bella's post
14-03-2014, 08:51 AM
This whole thread basically boils down to this

[Image: 1897815_10203242617846909_2057847272_n.jpg]

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 5 users Like Revenant77x's post