Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
14-03-2014, 09:30 AM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
(14-03-2014 12:54 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 12:30 AM)Reltzik Wrote:  ...
Okay, one last attempt before I give up. Brainstorming exercise. We're talking about helping the forum (the Atheism and Theism forum, specifically) rise above the crap, possibly by ignoring the crap, while still at the same time preserving and even cultivating what's awesome about it. So, what parts of it are awesome?

'Tis simple, young sir, and we've been over this ground before.

There is a natural clash between the two main reasons for this forum's existence:

1. Discussion and debate
2. Community.

A troll appears and our community immunity system springs into action (goes on the aTaq!).

The problem, as already highlighted is the false positive, so for example, a very enjoyable thread about objective morality gets interrupted by Taq kinda saying that Chippy is a troll and should not be afforded any kind of respect.

Equally, vulnerable people here for love, companionship and support feel threatened or others feel simple annoyed (as per the OP) by the trolls.

After previous debates on this subject, we turned to Seth's description of the site (as a whole) being a community.

But this does not resolve things as the forum is still a discussion arena within the overall community.

Past attempts to ease the situation have resulted in creation of the Personal Issues and Support section (with its protection rules) and more recently the Melee and Colosseum etc.

Chas and I will never agree on this.
Him with his big game hunter, 'shoot the trolls' approach.
Me with my free-speech trumps all dogma.
(I'm here to learn and cannot learn anything from those who agree with me).

This post now should have a poignant, moving and eloquent summary but...

I ain't got one!

Big Grin

We won't agree because it is your (and others') holy worship of free speech that stands in the way. That is the problematic dogma, here.

If people would actually read what Seth has said, free speech is not the fucking sine qua non of the forum.

Get the fuck over it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-03-2014, 09:33 AM
(14-03-2014 09:18 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 08:55 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Yeah, but you don't have to deal with the complaints. The FT, aurora, and I do.

Ahh.... I see.
Ok then. No, my only true perspective would be that of member not admin.

It's a job you don't want... trust me.

But, members such as yourself make it worth it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
14-03-2014, 09:33 AM
(14-03-2014 09:22 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 09:16 AM)alpha male Wrote:  Who is we?

If it's all the atheists posting here, then they've spoken - they like trolls, as evidenced by the post counts of threads featuring people considered to be trolls.

Correct. Like it or not, AM is right. The evidence STRONGLY suggests that the "community" likes trolls.

Using trolls for batting practice is not the same as "liking" them.
nope nope nope

Tongue

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
14-03-2014, 09:34 AM
(14-03-2014 09:16 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 08:55 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Yet the question remains. Which would we like to see more/less of? What better serves the community?
Who is we?

If it's all the atheists posting here, then they've spoken - they like trolls, as evidenced by the post counts of threads featuring people considered to be trolls.

We is the community, which includes you. Thank you for your input.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
14-03-2014, 09:36 AM
(14-03-2014 09:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  We won't agree because it is your (and others') holy worship of free speech that stands in the way. That is the problematic dogma, here.

If people would actually read what Seth has said, free speech is not the fucking sine qua non of the forum.

Get the fuck over it.

Chas... where are you getting the idea that free speech is the sole absolute?

Ever since Seth stepped in, we haven't abided by that concept.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
14-03-2014, 09:38 AM
(14-03-2014 09:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 09:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  We won't agree because it is your (and others') holy worship of free speech that stands in the way. That is the problematic dogma, here.

Get the fuck over it.

Exactly. I believe it is The Chas that needs to get the fuck over it.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
14-03-2014, 09:39 AM
(14-03-2014 09:33 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 09:22 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Correct. Like it or not, AM is right. The evidence STRONGLY suggests that the "community" likes trolls.

Using trolls for batting practice is not the same as "liking" them.
nope nope nope

Tongue

It is if you like batting practice. Drinking Beverage

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
14-03-2014, 09:41 AM
In related news, I don't know why the fuck some peeps toss Alpha and Lion into the same bin as MM. Undecided

Funny thing is, a buncha atheists say they know indoctrination, yet get all uppity when one defends rape as a result of indoctrination.

Which is it, mofos? Do we tolerate and encourage the anti-indoctrination process or do we just ridicule and counter troll?

That's right... there is no we... there is only

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
14-03-2014, 09:45 AM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2014 09:48 AM by Chas.)
(14-03-2014 09:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  

Get the fuck over it.

DLJ just said he does in the post I responded to, Hughsie has never given up on it, and others (including some Mods) whine about it every time there is mention of possibly banning a problematic user.

If you really believed what you just said, there would not be the painful, drawn out, agonized path to banning those who make this place a mess.

You said that trolls are obvious. Demonstrate it.

N.B. Sine qua non means absolutely necessary, not sole absolute.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-03-2014, 09:48 AM
(14-03-2014 09:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  In related news, I don't know why the fuck some peeps toss Alpha and Lion into the same bin as MM. Undecided

Funny thing is, a buncha atheists say they know indoctrination, yet get all uppity when one defends rape as a result of indoctrination.

Which is it, mofos? Do we tolerate and encourage the anti-indoctrination process or do we just ridicule and counter troll?

That's right... there is no we... there is only

You're right, HoC.

Lion and AM aren't Trolls.

They just hold fast to their beliefs and refuse to be open to new ideas and the idea that they might be wrong. Moreso AM than Lion... also, AM seems to try and justify his beliefs in certain things no matter how much proof is set against him or how ludicrous his claim is.

This lack of unwavering stalwartness is what gets on peoples nerves and causes such a ruckus.

To add to that, both can come across pretentious and AM can be a pretty big dick at times... this just adds fuel to the fire.

But Trolls? No. Not even close.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post