Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
14-03-2014, 09:50 AM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
(14-03-2014 09:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  If you really believed what you just said, there would not be the painful, drawn out, agonized path to banning those who make this place a mess.

Sorry, Big Guy; there must be such a process. Undecided

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
14-03-2014, 09:51 AM
The atheist site with the most intellectual discussions I've ever seen was a danish site - debate.atheist.net. It went brain dead several years ago. I was going to link to it so those of you who want intellectual discourse could go there and hear the crickets, but it doesn't seem to be there anymore.

Face it, many atheists who've been persecuted by theists don't just come here to escape said persecution, they enjoy turning the tables. I know most of you don't like to think about yourselves/brethren that way, but that's how it is. Intellectual sites dry up, childish and contentious sites flourish.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like alpha male's post
14-03-2014, 09:52 AM
(14-03-2014 09:50 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 09:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  If you really believed what you just said, there would not be the painful, drawn out, agonized path to banning those who make this place a mess.

Sorry, Big Guy; there must be such a process. Undecided

Justify that.

There is no need for it. This is not a democracy.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
14-03-2014, 09:53 AM
(14-03-2014 09:38 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 09:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Chas... where are you getting the idea that free speech is the sole absolute?

Ever since Seth stepped in, we haven't abided by that concept.

Exactly. I believe it is The Chas that needs to get the fuck over it.

What is it that I need to get over? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-03-2014, 09:55 AM
(14-03-2014 09:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  They just hold fast to their beliefs and refuse to be open to new ideas and the idea that they might be wrong. Moreso AM than Lion... also, AM seems to try and justify his beliefs in certain things no matter how much proof is set against him or how ludicrous his claim is.

This lack of unwavering stalwartness is what gets on peoples nerves and causes such a ruckus.

To add to that, both can come across pretentious and AM can be a pretty big dick at times... this just adds fuel to the fire.
Wow, the amount of hypocrisy in that post is impressive! Thumbsup
14-03-2014, 09:56 AM
(14-03-2014 09:45 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 09:36 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Chas... where are you getting the idea that free speech is the sole absolute?

Ever since Seth stepped in, we haven't abided by that concept.

DLJ just said he does in the post I responded to, Hughsie has never given up on it, and others (including some Mods) whine about it every time there is mention of possibly banning a problematic user.

If you really believed what you just said, there would not be the painful, drawn out, agonized path to banning those who make this place a mess.

You said that trolls are obvious. Demonstrate it.

N.B. Sine qua non means absolutely necessary, not sole absolute.

As Johnny said... there is a process.

Every person, no matter who they are, deserves a chance to clean up their act; likewise, they deserve warnings.

This is the way I operate TTA. I believe it's the fairest route... and until I get ousted, overuled by Seth, or quit, it will continue to be the way I operate.

I believe fairness shouldn't be selective.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
14-03-2014, 10:00 AM
(14-03-2014 09:55 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 09:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  They just hold fast to their beliefs and refuse to be open to new ideas and the idea that they might be wrong. Moreso AM than Lion... also, AM seems to try and justify his beliefs in certain things no matter how much proof is set against him or how ludicrous his claim is.

This lack of unwavering stalwartness is what gets on peoples nerves and causes such a ruckus.

To add to that, both can come across pretentious and AM can be a pretty big dick at times... this just adds fuel to the fire.
Wow, the amount of hypocrisy in that post is impressive! Thumbsup

I never said I'm not those things.

1) I'm stalwart in my beliefs in certain areas of my faith; however, I'm open to other things that don't affect my faith.
2) I've been accused of being pretentious and arrogant and have acknowledge my arrogance in some of my beliefs.
3) I can be a total dick. But, for the most part, when I feel like being a dick, I try to not post until I settle down.

I think this is the key to people tolerating me. I'm generally nice and respectful. There is also the fact that I've been here a long time and people are just tired of punching on me.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
14-03-2014, 10:05 AM
(14-03-2014 10:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I think this is the key to people tolerating me. I'm generally nice and respectful. There is also the fact that I've been here a long time and people are just tired of punching on me.
I'd say the facts that you're an admin, and you join in with atheists to ridicule other Christians, account for much more of your acceptance. Angel
14-03-2014, 10:06 AM
I wouldn't even put Drich in the same bin as Miss Meng, although I strongly suspect that Miss Meng is a sock puppet of Drich created purely for the purpose of trolling.

Drich is intellectually incapable in many aspects, but rather than a troll I'd call him a shark looking to play on the fears that ex-christians have been conditioned with.

As far as I can remember, I have given three negative reps so far. One to Drich for acting immediately like a shark with the young lad who had to go off to see his pastor. The other to Alpha Male for being deliberately disingenuous to stop a proper discussion, and a third to Miss Meng for being a troll.

(I use the term shark in the same way that you would use it to describe older gay men immediately trying to seduce young vulnerable boys into bed)
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
14-03-2014, 10:07 AM
(14-03-2014 09:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 09:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  In related news, I don't know why the fuck some peeps toss Alpha and Lion into the same bin as MM. Undecided

Funny thing is, a buncha atheists say they know indoctrination, yet get all uppity when one defends rape as a result of indoctrination.

Which is it, mofos? Do we tolerate and encourage the anti-indoctrination process or do we just ridicule and counter troll?

That's right... there is no we... there is only

You're right, HoC.

Lion and AM aren't Trolls.

They just hold fast to their beliefs and refuse to be open to new ideas and the idea that they might be wrong. Moreso AM than Lion... also, AM seems to try and justify his beliefs in certain things no matter how much proof is set against him or how ludicrous his claim is.

But Trolls? No. Not even close.

Actually, I find AM troll-ish when he has to get off topic to point out and complain on HOW we discuss the topic. *insert eye roll* To my way of thinking he derails shit time and time again over semantics while conveniently dodging the actual fucking Point of the conversation. To me - that's a trouble maker. And trouble makers are trolls. Bring another view point to the conversation? Sure. But stay the fuck ON TOPIC for pete'ssake. Spending page after page deriding us on HOW we choose to post is disruptive and trollish. I could care Less if Lion is a christian. Why would I give a rat's ass??? No, I only care when he starts crying persecution in the middle of a fucking conversation - and people like Chas have Every right to get pissed off about that.

I really think if someone needs to get all twisty about semantics they should be all grow-ed up and shit and make a thread or PM whoever's twisting their panties.

Getting all twirly in the middle of a conversation on HOW someone spoke to you or HOW they delivered their information (insert delicate feelings, etc) is just getting fucking old. The constant CRY of foul and woe is me just gets troll-ish when it's a steady diet.

fcuk
ShockingShockingShockingShocking

(whew............. I feel better. This is less expensive than therapy)

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 2 users Like WitchSabrina's post