Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
14-03-2014, 10:31 AM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
(14-03-2014 10:05 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 10:00 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I think this is the key to people tolerating me. I'm generally nice and respectful. There is also the fact that I've been here a long time and people are just tired of punching on me.
I'd say the facts that you're an admin, and you join in with atheists to ridicule other Christians, account for much more of your acceptance. Angel

He'd never have become admin if he weren't accepted and generally well-liked.

So there's that gaping flaw in your "reasoning".

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
14-03-2014, 10:34 AM
(14-03-2014 09:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 09:38 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Exactly. I believe it is The Chas that needs to get the fuck over it.

What is it that I need to get over? Consider

The idea that free speech is drowning the forum. That era is long over, and it's time to let it go. I was the only admin who ran the forum in an attempt to have total free speech. NOBODY thinks that is the way it's run today. It may be the very reason I'm not staff anymore.

I love you man, but you hold onto grudges like a 14 year old girl. You were the first (or at least among them) that brought up free speech. Let it go man.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
14-03-2014, 10:35 AM
(14-03-2014 10:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  No really.

I've gotten rep well before I was an admin or a mod.

I think I got the highest rep when I was still a Vet.
And? This is a false dichotomy. That you get rep for reasons other than being admin does not support the claim that "being an admin has nothing to do with it."

Quote:So yeah, you're factually wrong. But like I said, even when you're presented with facts, you are unwilling to renege your claim and will continue to justify your idiotic point. Thanks for providing the forum proof.
I was presented with a logical fallacy. In your mind, incontrovertible proof has been presented to me and my claim is ludicrous. Go figure...
[+] 1 user Likes alpha male's post
14-03-2014, 10:37 AM
(14-03-2014 10:31 AM)cjlr Wrote:  He'd never have become admin if he weren't accepted and generally well-liked.

So there's that gaping flaw in your "reasoning".
Except...I gave other reasons for his rep as well. So, there's just a gaping flaw in your straw man. But thanks for playing! Big Grin
14-03-2014, 10:38 AM
(14-03-2014 10:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 09:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  As Johnny said... there is a process.

Every person, no matter who they are, deserves a chance to clean up their act; likewise, they deserve warnings.

This is the way I operate TTA. I believe it's the fairest route... and until I get ousted, overuled by Seth, or quit, it will continue to be the way I operate.

I believe fairness shouldn't be selective.

I have no problem with a process that keeps it fair. It's the glacial pace that I see as a problem.

You don't seem to recognize problem people at all quickly, or warn them promptly to get the process going.

It is unfair to the rest of us on the forum to allow assholes to continue disrupting things while you drag out the process.

Fair enough.

I was shocked to find out that Heywood had never received a warning.

I think a lot of that does falls through the cracks and it's something that needs improving.

I'm trying to do that... as seen with my recent actions against Heywood and Chippy.

There's also the fact that people seem to tolerate this type of troll for a long time until there is a tipping point. At that time, the FT is made aware of the it through a flood of complaints... which, in the forum's eyes, should have been delt with a long time ago.

We don't deal with that because if there are no complaints, we can only assume that the forum doesn't see them as a problem and enjoys having them as a chew toy.

And, I would like to be clear... one or two complaints doesn't justify action.

It's when there are numerous complaints and that said person is causing a disruption is when we take notice.

That's the process. In the user's eyes that has interacted with the Troll on a daily basis it seems that we are taking forever to do anything; however, we are just made aware of the problem and therefore just entering the situation.

So, that's part of it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
14-03-2014, 10:39 AM
(14-03-2014 09:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 09:50 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Sorry, Big Guy; there must be such a process. Undecided

Justify that.

There is no need for it. This is not a democracy.

You are looking at the justification. The casual swing of the banhammer results in hidebound fora.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-03-2014, 10:39 AM
(14-03-2014 10:34 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 09:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  What is it that I need to get over? Consider

The idea that free speech is drowning the forum. That era is long over, and it's time to let it go. I was the only admin who ran the forum in an attempt to have total free speech. NOBODY thinks that is the way it's run today. It may be the very reason I'm not staff anymore.

I love you man, but you hold onto grudges like a 14 year old girl. You were the first (or at least among them) that brought up free speech. Let it go man.

No, there are people here who don't think anyone should be banned except in extreme circumstances. What do you think is the basis of that attitude?

This is no more a grudge than opposing any unreasonable position.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-03-2014, 10:43 AM
(14-03-2014 10:34 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(14-03-2014 09:53 AM)Chas Wrote:  What is it that I need to get over? Consider

I love you man, but you hold onto grudges like a 14 year old girl.

That's kinda hilarious. As for myself, I'm 13. Big Grin

As for the OP and the question of "what to do," I believe that we are doing it.

Make a thread and air your grievance, and we'll call each other names, and life goes on.

I do not believe more rules, more policy is the answer.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
(14-03-2014 10:37 AM)alpha male Wrote:  Except...I gave other reasons for his rep as well. So, there's just a gaping flaw in your straw man. But thanks for playing! Big Grin

The rest of your sentence was "join in with atheists to ridicule other Christians".

Now, incidentally, that's not true either. I can fairly confidently say KC has never ridiculed someone for being Christian. So there's that.

He's certainly willing to castigate those who engage in full-bore reality denial such as yourself, mind.

... this is my signature!
(14-03-2014 10:35 AM)alpha male Wrote:  And? This is a false dichotomy. That you get rep for reasons other than being admin does not support the claim that "being an admin has nothing to do with it."

Ummm, yes. And blue isn't really blue. It's actually blue. Facepalm

So, me getting rep and being well liked before I was an admin doesn't contradict the claim that I get rep and I'm generally well liked because I'm an admin.

Oh ok.

Quote:I was presented with a logical fallacy. In your mind, incontrovertible proof has been presented to me and my claim is ludicrous. Go figure...

You are the logical fallacy. Like... it's mind-boggling the ridiculous extremes you'll go just to justify yourself.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post