Trolls and Forum Quality

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
13-03-2014, 01:31 PM
RE: Trolls and Forum Quality
(13-03-2014 01:25 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  You know what really drives me nuts? Not just when people engage the trolls, but when people actually give them positive rep points and say things like, "I don't know why people don't like you, you seem cool to me".

I mean I realize we all have different personalities, and like different things, but with some of these trolls I just can't figure out what the hell other forum me members, whose opinions I respect, are thinking. And will actually support and encourage them to keep posting.

On the one hand - yes, that is always rather surprising. On the other... if people's site use doesn't intersect much it's probably a matter of exposure. If you don't see most of someone's posts, you won't be familiar with the experiences behind others' opinion of them.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2014, 01:38 PM
(13-03-2014 01:31 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 01:25 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  You know what really drives me nuts? Not just when people engage the trolls, but when people actually give them positive rep points and say things like, "I don't know why people don't like you, you seem cool to me".

I mean I realize we all have different personalities, and like different things, but with some of these trolls I just can't figure out what the hell other forum me members, whose opinions I respect, are thinking. And will actually support and encourage them to keep posting.

On the one hand - yes, that is always rather surprising. On the other... if people's site use doesn't intersect much it's probably a matter of exposure. If you don't see most of someone's posts, you won't be familiar with the experiences behind others' opinion of them.

well, lets face it. Sometimes its FUN to take a ride on the troller coaster.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 2 users Like Cathym112's post
13-03-2014, 01:41 PM
(13-03-2014 01:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 12:35 PM)nach_in Wrote:  I'm all for letting the trolls have their space, I think some of their shit is a necessary evil so we can keep the whole "free speech" thing working.
However, there are cases in which I feel the forum mods are too lenient, borderline negligent, with trolls. Meng is a clear case, when a user spams the forum, is clear after several pages that doesn't want to engage in any form of meaningful conversation, and even starts to claim to be the webmaster and supervisor of the site, it's time to swing the ban hammer with all its power.

Some trolls are harder to spot I&I threaded that line really well and he hide behind the benefit of the doubt, and that's fine. But when obvious troll is obvious, then not banning them hurts the forum in general for no legitimate reason

Free speech does not apply - this is not the public marketplace of ideas.

What is useful is a free exchange of ideas, free expression of opinion. But when they start spray-painting the walls and pissing on the carpet, they should get the heave-ho.

"Free speech" is a means, not an end. It's not fucking holy writ.

That's why I used quotation marks, I just trying to point out that there should be a margin for pissing the carpet, otherwise this place would become a mental circle jerk.
Free speech is a close-enough concept, I didn't use it in a technical way.

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
13-03-2014, 01:45 PM
(13-03-2014 01:14 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 01:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  You are over-thinking it.

It is rare that there is ever a false-positive. Trolls eventually become obvious.

If you think banning someone is serious, you are taking things far too seriously. It ain't a firing squad, and it's not a free speech issue.

There is absolutely no valid reason to not ban trolls and troublemakers.

Trolls do eventually become obvious, yes. (EDIT: Or, at least, if they don't become obvious, then they're not that big a problem.) And I have little trouble with a banhammer in those cases. (Though the idea of a "taken outside" subforum of the coliseum, where troll threads get shunted, is interesting. Let the people who make a sport of countertrolling have some fun too. EDIT: Probably too much work for the mods, though.)

No, my problem is people who shout "TROLL!" at the drop of a hat before it becomes obvious, and sometimes where there's no good reason to think it's a troll at all. Taq is a good example. My impression is that Taq's had several false positives, and his subsequent attacks have probably driven off some decent non-trollish questioners.

To be clear, it's not the mods and their policies that I'm questioning. Maybe there's grounds to question them, maybe not. Different topic. It's the general attitude and reception put forward by the membership.

Thats because Taq is a miserable prick, who'd rather resort to ad hominem attacks to anyone who disagrees with him, than to have any form of intelligent conversation.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
13-03-2014, 01:45 PM
(13-03-2014 01:38 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 01:31 PM)cjlr Wrote:  On the one hand - yes, that is always rather surprising. On the other... if people's site use doesn't intersect much it's probably a matter of exposure. If you don't see most of someone's posts, you won't be familiar with the experiences behind others' opinion of them.

well, lets face it. Sometimes its FUN to take a ride on the troller coaster.

Fair point.

In the classic trainwreck rubbernecking "oh god, what the fuck are they going to say this time" sense, of course...

... this is my signature!
13-03-2014, 01:47 PM
(13-03-2014 01:10 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I say we put Chas in charge of the Troll Poll. Whenever someone's troll radar goes off, Chas starts a poll and we vote. Is Miss Meng a troll? If she gets (arbitrary number) votes then she's banned. Or something like that.

For the record, I don't think alpha male is a troll, he's just difficult.

Even simpler, a rating system: if you get down voted repeatedly in a short span of time, your thread posting privileges are suspended temporarily.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
13-03-2014, 01:52 PM
(13-03-2014 01:47 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  
(13-03-2014 01:10 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I say we put Chas in charge of the Troll Poll. Whenever someone's troll radar goes off, Chas starts a poll and we vote. Is Miss Meng a troll? If she gets (arbitrary number) votes then she's banned. Or something like that.

Even simpler, a rating system: if you get down voted repeatedly in a short span of time, your thread posting privileges are suspended temporarily.

I would totally agree to that plan. (A) Chas has a nose for such things and seems to catch the truth of it faster (faster than me.......I'll speak for myself)
(B) He's fair and logical. ( C) It would mean the community is more or less helping to regulate itself which is positive in my opinion.

Bowing

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
13-03-2014, 01:56 PM
(13-03-2014 01:47 PM)rampant.a.i. Wrote:  

Reasonable in principle, but there's just so many ways that it could be abused. By either side of the debate. Think Survivor-Style alliances or hostile takeovers, or just a sufficient number of coordinated self-appointed censors.
13-03-2014, 02:05 PM
Yeah, you don't want an automated system to govern posting privileges. Imagine some vindictive posters starting new, innocuous accounts, playing nice for a while, then down-voting everyone else just to shut them up.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
13-03-2014, 02:31 PM
Everyone is asking for a system yet we almost have one in place already, all we need to do is start banning the people. What the hell do we have a reputation score for if not to identify trolls. MissMeng is at -40 and its barely been a week since she came. This would be such an easy thing to implement. If someone drops below a certain reputation then have the Admin checkout the poster and if the person is really a troll. BANHAMMER! If anything since their reputation is indicating that they are a detriment to others enjoyment on the thread.

Also I would like to point out that although there does seem to be a bit of a swell in the number of troll posts don't forget there have been trolls since I've been coming here. Just to list a few Igor (Technically batshit crazy) Absols, IandI, and a bunch of others who just had massive numbers of posts that everyone ignored.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
[+] 3 users Like TarzanSmith's post